London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
9 messages
03/05/2014 at 22:25

Please could someone enlighten me on the difference between multi-purpose compost and the compost in growbags.  Thanks.

03/05/2014 at 22:45

I always thought that growbags had more nutrients in them to give plants enough "stuff" to see them through their short lives. Compost is just a sort of temporary medium in which to put things before they go on to live long and happy lives in the garden. 

But I could have been living under a cloud of misinformation all this time.

03/05/2014 at 23:59

Grow bags are just bags of compost of a size where it is convenient to lay them flat, cut a hole and plant whatever in them.  They can be stacked up and used two deep with suitable holes cut in them for deep-rooting plants..

They are cheap and cheerful and often have pretty rubbishy compost in them, but as you won't handle it you'll never know.  The fertilizer in them will last somewhat less than MPC.

04/05/2014 at 10:19

Talking about rubbish compost, I opened a bag of MORRISONS multipurpose yesterday and found it full of sticks,wood chips,holly leaves, a few worms and fiberous roots.....very little soil. I am speechless. 

04/05/2014 at 10:22

Why do you expect soil in it?  It is made from green waste and most people don't throw away soil.  Or shouldn't.

04/05/2014 at 10:53

I called it "soil", meaning the black thing that I can grow plants in. And you are right Welshonion, shouldn't throw away soil. But, surely, I can't expect plants to grow in the rubbish they sold me as "MPC" Besides, isn't it meant to be "sterilised" or, maybe worms can survive the heat. I do apologise, silly me 

04/05/2014 at 14:14

Yes, I bet it is full of weed seeds to.  Though worms are good!

Best advice is Take it Back and tell them about any seeds or plants it has killed or harmed.  Tell them you use a messageboard and you won't hesitate to repeat how bad their compost is. 

04/05/2014 at 19:32

Yes Welshonion, I did smile when I saw the very healthy worms, what a bonus eh! I can't really take it back as I have used some of it to pot up strong established plants which,  I felt would be OK. But I am going there tomorrow and will take the "rubbish" with me to cause a stir! I feel cross that these people try to take us for a ride.

04/05/2014 at 19:45

Most MPC's wherever you buy them from are really only what we, the public, throw in the green bins at the Tip..........I've seen people chuck plastic, wood, wire etc in these bins along with their green stuff.     The local council/recycling companies "compost" the results but fail to sort out the rubbish.

I can understand in a way that MPC contains large lumps of unusable stuff but I do get miffed when I am buying "seed" compost and forced to sieve the compost before it is usuable. Plastic, stones, pieces of timber......not really seedling material

As for sterilising......that used to happen years ago but I don't think many composts go thru this process these days............too expensive maybe ?

email image
9 messages