London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 17°C
15/04/2014 at 13:19

Frank the world would be a much sadder place without different views. I would hate it if everyone else liked the music I like. It is all a question of taste, I have good taste, and, anyone who disagrees is wrong!!!

15/04/2014 at 14:03

Puncdoc true yet again, I travel through my fairly new digital radio and there is music for all tastes, mainly Classic FM though on occasion one of the oldies programmes and I mean 40-50-60, not on any account 70-80-90. I will admit there are now some songs I recognise as Music!!! and singers I listen to more Adele definitely not boy bands or withered twitchy rehashed pensioners still trying to gyrate as if being stung by a swarm of bees. Vive Le Difference and long may it be so.

Orchid Lady go wash your mouth out Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, mentioned on the same page as Bing "agh" I never liked Sinatra and after hearing Chick Henderson the Hartlepool crooner you would not compare them either, Bing said Chick was the best crooner of his day.

My Daughters said you never play the, piano when we are here, well no, they are usually talking twenty to the dozen, the grandchildren playing or wrapped up in their technocrat toys, Hannah has two funny looking dolls that actually talk to each other cost a fortune and do not need any one to play with them, what is the point? So I sat down and played, what I know, the grandchildren on each side open mouthed, we did not know your piano could do that, no children I am doing that, the piano is the voice of my fingers. A voice from the gods, dad can you play some three chord boy band number I had never heard of, no piano lid closed I gave up.

Music was, still is my life, dancing, going through the big band era was an education in itself dancing to those wonderful live bands in the huge Locarno;s and Palais it was our time as was probably the noughties to some of you, what ever we think of as good music is our business as long as we get enjoyment from it.

Frank.

15/04/2014 at 21:44

Love the piano story Frank, I very rarely play in front of anyone, but that is because I'm not very good and no other reason.  My eldest plays the guitar and my youngest plays the drums......both very well and my youngest has just chosen music GCSE, I am so proud of him 

Tonight I was in my GH potting up chillies at dusk, just me the birds, my hounds playing....oh and a glass of wine, but no music tonight 

Punk, Something Inside So strong was on whilst I was making tea tonight, how strange is that....a lovely song  Absolute 80s on Monday has the ultimate 80s song countdown on....all day, bonus  I need a digital radio for the garden

15/04/2014 at 23:18

Orchid Lady tell your sons that music will always mean they have joy in their lives, I played piano in Naafi's Sergeants messes and even in hospital then convalescent camp, sleeping under the piano stool after a long night and a piano top filled with drink was not abnormal. My accordion provided entertainment at many Christmas and New years Eve parties. All happy memories as they say "if music be the food of life then play on" not sure who said it but true it is.

Frank.

15/04/2014 at 23:46

It was out of Twelfth Night, Shakespeare, but is actually "If music be the food of love", I think it got adapted over the years  

16/04/2014 at 00:31

Frank and O.L. I too love music, but my thing is singing; I'm a member of the local church choir, which is tiny, we are lucky if 6 or 8 people turn up for practice. But I've had this wretched cold since about 3rd of March, so couldn't sing. But today I found my voice again what joy! So hoovering the g/h while seedlings were outside sunbathing I was singing away from Handel to the Eagles.

16/04/2014 at 00:44

I stand corrected Shakespeare was never my writer of choice, nor the poetry of John Dunne people rave about, Sir Walter Scott, Alexander Dumas, Wordsworth and other lyricists driven into me by Miss English my English Teacher for five years who saw something in the rebellious boy who asked questions and would not stand down when told "I am the teacher and it is because I say so", what they did not know my Mother bought me the complete set of Arthur Mee's Encyclopaedias which I read avidly. I knew they were wrong and too idle to look it up.

Every word I write now for the Local History library at one time a researcher in History for the BBC, the family history I am writing and on this forum comes down to that wonderful Lady, who I did not bless at the time, she sowed the seed. Life has some strange twists and turns.

Frank.

16/04/2014 at 08:26

i would never ever play music so anyone can hear next door, if i have it on in the kitchen while i'm outside i know neighbours are out at work or away for weekend, there are builders a few doors up doing a roof and playing some horrendous local commercial radio i can hear even inside with door open it's just rude, i do love just the sound of birds too, depends what mood i'm in, though yesterday don henley 'boys of summer' came on radio i love that song so much it makes me cry!!

16/04/2014 at 09:13

rosemummy, I know what you mean about music on building sites; I worked on building sites for nearly 40 years and it has given me a loathing of most pop music; the worst time was in the US Virgin Isles, with 2 huge ghetto blasters, one each side of me, one playing Country and the other playing Rap!

16/04/2014 at 09:50

What a nightmare Artjak, fortunately the builders we had in doing various work liked with absolute 60s, absolute 80s or radio 2, all of which I listen to depending in my mood

16/04/2014 at 09:51

Rosemummy, today Glorious sunshine and in the garden only bird song and insects.

My Rhododendrons in full bloom, Primroses still smiling at me. Tulips coming the Daf's going and fresh life everywhere, in my head "Roses of Spring" in my ears nature, what a wonderful sound.

The neighbours must be Easter Shopping.

Frank.

16/04/2014 at 09:54

My Rhododendrons don't want to flower, they have buds but I don't remember it flowering last year either 

16/04/2014 at 10:48

Orchid Lady, could be leaf hopper which in turn can cause bud blast disease.

What the modern treatment is I do not know my cure is now banned H&S, good job they cannot see what I have hidden.

You can prune them down a bit although that will set them back a year or so.

Frank.

16/04/2014 at 11:21

Thanks Frank, I'll wait and see if they open, maybe post a pic on another thread.

16/04/2014 at 18:01

ol sorryy i didn't answer feel v rude got captain cuteness's nappy rash sorted after 10 days def teething, dire straits 'walk of life' just been on radio, little boy seems to like!

16/04/2014 at 23:43

Captain cuteness, LOL, that is soooooo sweet. I still call mine their 'baby' names sometimes.....spud and champ, they cringe so much it's funny  My littlest man (spud) is 13 next Thursday, sleepover for 5 boys this Friday 

Walk of Life, great tune but prefer Romeo and Juliet (Sorry it's the Shakespeare in me again LOL)!

17/04/2014 at 00:08

Love dire straits, I know I said earlier in this thread, romeo and juliet one of my favs, lucky enough to have seen  Mark Knopfler live a  few times at The Royal Albert Hall. Absolutely fantastic

17/04/2014 at 00:21

I'd forgotten about that Lily,  I must admit I was never a huge fan until I met OH but do love Romeo and Juliet  We got OH and his dad tickets to see Mark Knopfler tickets for Christmas a few years ago, but that's another story!! OH's fave is Sultan's of Swing.

I remember doing a dance to walk of life in PE with my best friend (still one of my best friends) when I was 11 

17/04/2014 at 07:47

one day when cc was crying and crying there wa a dire straits special on tv i held him and danced and sang to it and he's seemed to enjoy it ever cince! ol love the baby names bet i still call my two theirs when they're 30! been singing along to tom petty 'alright for now' with my daughter who knows it off by heart it's such a special song to me as i've sung it as a lullaby for both. never seen mark knopfler would love to though, was supposed to go to a gig last week but cried off as really cannot stay awake beyond 9pm, cc wakes up 1130, 130,330, 430 then we get up

17/04/2014 at 07:50

OL i just spotted you love bing too! it's the law in our house to have 'white christmas' on while decorating tree, and then christmas with the rat pack, hubby prefers a very 'hairy christmas' rock cd but bing always wins for me!