London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
21/04/2014 at 22:02

O.L. it is a whole CD; am now listening to 'Next'; Jaques Brel songs sung by various artists mainly in English. My newest CD is Stratus sings Weill, sadly too much of it is in German, though there are translations in the booklet.

22/04/2014 at 13:02

My C&W is Lynn Anderson, Marty Robbins, George Jones, Lester Platt and Earl Scruggs kind. Raking through the LP's I found Bay City Rollers "Agh" Manuel Music of the Mountains, Shadows, Tramps, James Last and "who the H--- bought that", Singalong with Max, shows what an eclectic household we were. I put some Waltz music on the record deck and it did not sound too bad.

There is a pond in the garden where there was not one yesterday, it is dull and grey though still warm in the Conservatory, I will get the mince on cooking then go have a sit and listen to some old memory, that will not be Max or Bay City Rollers.

Frank.

22/04/2014 at 18:04

Oh my Frank and there was me thinking you were well educated musically  My nan used to have a Max Bygraves album, could possibly have been the same one LOL!

Lynn Anderson, she did Rose Garden didn't she?  Great song and most appropriate for my garden now 

I love a Vienna Waltz, but no idea who composed one or them? Sometimes they play a Vienna Waltz on Classic FM but it makes me want to dance what I'm driving (not that I can actually dance properly I just pretend), which maybe isn't too good 

22/04/2014 at 23:14

Orchid Lady, a waltz comes in many forms with many composers, we had to learn the old fashioned waltz step, 1-2-3  1-2-3 as it was part of what was called old fashioned dancing were you did fixed movements followed by waltz turns. When we started dancing in the big boys dance halls a mixed old and new style we learned the Modern waltz or the English waltz slower than the Vienna waltz.

The German waltz a sort of Vienna waltz you could march too but the Germans always wanted us to dance the English waltz, they queued up to dance with us soldier boys. Dutch dancing was joyful, Belgium staid and French "whoa there girl leave my belt alone" I leave it to you to work it out.

Some one bought me Andre Rieu and his Johann Strauss Orchestra DVD for Christmas I view it on the lap top when I am feeling idle, Joan and I danced in Austria many times we loved the Viennese style waltz which is far more adventurous than you see on Strictly, so pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Frank.

23/04/2014 at 08:35

Well that's more complicated than I thought Frank, but Strauss seem to ring a bell.  I'll have a look on my iPod and see what I have, I think it was a Strauss one I heard the other day on Classic.

Today's song of choice for me is from a new artist Emma Stevens, I may have mentioned her before and I think she has a great talent (in my option obviously - not to everyone's taste).

The song Give a Little Bit is so so happy and lots of people could learn from it and stop being miserable, although no-one on where of course because gardeners are happy 

23/04/2014 at 09:08

"Err" I see Orchid Lady, you actually listen to the words? With my shot ears and a sound down technique I only hear the music. BBC2 playing something soothing the other day whilst rushing round with the Hoover had voice over but what they were saying was lost to the ether, it is votes change bad government not protest songs.

So dear Lady look up Strauss, The Blue Danube, Tales from the Vienna Woods, the first music I learned to play on the piano, though at the same time I was playing Irish songs on the Accordion for Mother. I had an hour playing the other day Glen Miller tunes from my dancing years, it is the music that has the message for me not the words.

Frank.

23/04/2014 at 09:14

Ha ha yes Frank, I very much listen to the words, if of course there are words  Although I like the music too. The song I mentioned above has lovely meaningful words but the music that goes with the words is also in itself very happy, so in that case even without the words it would be a happy song.....I love the piano medley in it 

23/04/2014 at 09:21

Words? Oh yes, some can come very close to home. Matt Munro's 'Walk away' is very poignant for moi.

23/04/2014 at 10:01

Yes David some words do resound in the head, as a choir boy I loved some hymns, still do, others were a drag. The Sunday night around the piano (pre TV etc) I learned all the first world war songs and what they meant to my elders, the Irish songs I played all had meaning for mother. Away from home with the Army you get all the sentimental songs which have meaning for lads away from family so I have listened and dreamt thought wished whatever. For some reason Dinah Shore and My Bonhomie always stuck in my head from Desert days, why? afraid I do not know, just one of those things (now they should write a song about that).

Gardening songs for me would be a gentle burble like the birds and the bees, you know they are there getting on with things without bothering you, a gentle soothing aid for the sore back.

Frank. 

23/04/2014 at 13:15

Sorry folks, I went up the garden and it rattled in my head, I had it wrong, the Dinah Shaw song was "MY BELLE AMIE" plus Shaw not Shore. My brain was addled.

Today it was Vivaldi and Shostakovich via Classic FM.

Beeb 2 was all talk for some reason.

Frank.

23/04/2014 at 20:40

OL i love songs that have words that touch me, main reason for my Tom Petty obsession is beautiful allegorical lyrics,less meaningful but good fun, me and little girl were dancing and playing air guitar to zz top 'gimme all you lovin' ' while cooking tea earlier while little bot watched and laughed, great fun!

24/04/2014 at 22:12

Listening without really hearing the radio today suddenly "Oh my beloved Father" came on, that made me sit up and notice. It is one of my all time favourite Aria's, I did not catch who was singing though it was quite beautiful. It has many memories for me plus I needed to wake up and get tea ready.

Frank.

25/04/2014 at 09:47

I normally listen to Football commentary on Saturday afternoons at the Allotment on my wind up Radio or Classic Fm other times , trouble is you need to keep winding it

Don' t really listen to music in the Garden , however , having seen all the comments , might give it ago 

25/04/2014 at 11:00

Today is dull yet warm, I opened the conservatory to let some air through popped a disc on and sat looking up the garden. Suddenly the music was "If I Loved You" from Carousel and memories just flooded back.

On a course near London I got a long weekends leave every weekend, into London stopped with my relatives up Brixton Hill (posh then) and the Streatham Locarno just over the hill Friday and Saturday. An older woman (I thought in terms of my mother but she was probably late twenties old to me) asked me to dance and we danced most of the dances each night most weekends. "If I loved you" was top of the pops at the time and she went all sentimental on me as we danced, but so did the girls in the Nuffield Club at the Sunday Tea Dances, there was something about that tune.

Came the time to move on and I told her it was our last dance together unluckily for me just before they played that tune, she cried the whole dance, to an 18 year old rather embarrassing, I had to crowbar her off and she was on Waterloo Station looking for me on the Sunday night. Oh Dear that song, I got the train with whoops from the servicemen heading back to Barracks as she clung on to the last then Bentley and on to the single track Borden Bullet, badly misnamed and gone on the Monday.

Yet the music plays (I did replay it this morning) memories never fade and I wonder where are they now. I have a head full of tunes all with meaning, it is a wonder I remember anything else? Now what day is it today??

Frank.

27/04/2014 at 00:35

Art Garfunkel.......Bright Eyes, guaranteed to bring a tear to my eye, no idea why, maybe the animated bunnies that die  

27/04/2014 at 01:08

Anyone know the tune they are using for all the Eastenders trailers.

27/04/2014 at 01:21

No idea, don't like Eastenders but will listen next  time it's on.  Just watching a documentary on John Denver, fab music 

Edd
27/04/2014 at 08:14

I have no interest in Eastenders but if it is the tune i have heard in passing then it is Lana Del Rey - Gods & Monsters. It that the one punkdoc? 

27/04/2014 at 09:03

O.l bright eyes makes me cry too but don,t like song!

27/04/2014 at 09:47

Thanks Edd, that is the song.