London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
14/05/2014 at 10:05

What a lovely post Yarrow and glad you have enjoyed reading the thread.  I must admit, since starting it I very rarely listen to music in the garden now, unless next door's boy has friends round and they are screaming and playing shooting each other (I hate guns and violence LOL). We do have music on almost all the time in the house though, either on the radio or just albums/playlists and our house sounds very similar to yours with a varied range of music. My boys (15 and 13) play the guitar and drums respectively and they have grown up liking my and OH's music but now also introduce us to new artists they like. 

I heard Me and Tennessee the other day on the radio and I don't think I have ever heard it before, if I remember rightly it's the one that has a bit of a Lady Antebellum sound about it, great song  Eva Cassidy I love but don't listen to very often as it reminds me of my Nan who was a big fan and makes me cry.....such a waste of a young life too with Eva.

I think my favourite Paulo song is  New Shoes and I'm gutted he is at Carfest south but not North (which is the one we are going to).

Anyway, that's all for now.....I haven't yet decided on today's song but no doubt will soon, it has to be something summery today  Ooohhhh I know, Katrina and the Waves - Walking on Sunshine 

14/05/2014 at 10:56

It makes one ask "what is music"? A feel good urge to do jobs we do not really like, Wall Paper, a walk down memory lane, Our phantasies replayed, or like strawberry jam on a warm scone a naughty pleasure. I do not play music in the garden though it sometimes burbles away in the conservatory with the doors open. Saturday started as a lovely sunny day I was outside when with no warning and sun still shining I was hit by hail stones followed be a deluge, that was the end of the garden and at a loss I decided to do some piano practice. a long time not done and for some reason started with Alice Blue Gown one of my old Dad's favourites, followed by Irish and Scottish songs until my Son Landed with long time since I heard you play can you___ and so followed some modern until my wrists hurt and I gave up. I did realise I had a real feel good factor. I have boxes of sheet music maybe I should work my way through it on rainy days.

Being brought up in the big band era the band music is much preferred to the twang of guitars though some of the modern top songs are quite pleasant, at the moment it is music of the night by Webber, his music is testing as it is melodic, everything in five flats and I have to watch it when playing from the sheet music. I guess all those years of playing Lily Marlene to drunk squaddies marred my musical tastes.

Frank.

14/05/2014 at 11:36
I always like reading your posts Frank, not seen you for a few days? You make me want to practice my piano......I will get my grade 2 eventually!
14/05/2014 at 12:24

Orchid lady, you are obviously not wearing your Lorgnette there have been several posts the last Ailsa Craig on plants.

I could write a master class on music and morale, after long hard and very hot Desert days we would all sit round in the cool dark evening and sing, there was no rank we all sat and talked together, some one would start a song and all join in, it brought memories of home under the bright star studded sky of a very foreign land. We sang in chorus or individuals, I could sing a lot of the Richard Tauber songs thanks to Dad, and "out on the plains the weary soldiers all are marching would bring a cheer, we were there doing it.

On cold wet Luneburg we would gather under a canvas with the big stone jar of rum and sing until we fell down, next day the cheery grins would be back, music was certainly the best medicine for most.

Go back and half an hour a day practice will soon have you up to speed and progressing, having the Accordion helped me when there was no piano and the grandchildren think it wonderful I can get a tune out of their little electronic music thingees, music makes you smile.

Frank. 

14/05/2014 at 12:31
It certainly does make you smile Frank I will practice for half an hour each day now and my piano teacher will probably put me in for my Grade 2 in October. Not bad though for someone who is 41, couldn't read music and had never played a piano until last January - my piano was part of my 40th birthday present, it's a 1950's Bentley we bought off my piano teacher and is beautiful

I must have just been reading the wrong threads,not been on as much as usual.
14/05/2014 at 13:11

Orchid lady, Bentley were a good solid make, most music teachers around here had them as I saw when taking my Granddaughters to lessons. When my Yamaha three keyboard organ gave up the ghost after being well and truly played into the ground, Joan and I went shopping. We obviously had differing agenda, I was looking at up market keyboards she was looking at very expensive Yamaha Clavinova, we met in the middle which means she won, they took the battered old organ in part exchange which meant the Clavinova cost less in thousands. It is her legacy to me, I play the songs she loved and often sang, musical memories that oft bring a tear even after all this time. At 40 you are a mere whipper snapper Joan taught herself to play on the organ at 50, I did not know she was doing it whilst I was not there came home early one day and wondered who was playing so well.

Christmas New year and Birthday parties all huge family affairs it was music, singing, Dancing and now we do it all for the grandchildren long may it flourish.

Frank.

16/05/2014 at 11:52

Cheesy song warning ....nothing else for it but.....

The sun has got his hat on, hip hip hip hip hooray, the sun has got his hat on and he's coming out to play (and so am I tomorrow LOL )

Happy sunny weekend (almost) everyone 

16/05/2014 at 17:17

I'll have to think of one for tomorrow when at my sisters........showing goodness knows how many round her house.......could be ....Madness....Our House, in the middle of our street!  or Very fine house in the country.... was that Blur?

16/05/2014 at 18:32

lovely to read this thread, palaisglide you're right, music brings people together, i have a friend-who now lives in new zealand, we only met as we kept seeing each other all over the country at Rootjoose gigs, they were a really fun cornish surfy band, that was 125 years ago and we still keep in touch, i was delighted when i met my husband he knew allk the music i love, we do like different things mostly but we meet in the middle for a selection

16/05/2014 at 22:20

Star gaze lily, How about "This old House" the Animals that is 225 years ago Rosemummy.

My wife and I were both dancers so it was big live band music for us mainly, as she got progressively more ill I would play DVD's of musicals for her she was happy to see the dancing and hear the music. Alone now I play Classical or old favourites out of my old vynal albums you do not feel alone with them.

Frank.

16/05/2014 at 23:27

I normally like to listen to birdsong in the garden.However,if pushed I'd have some Marillion,U2,Pink Floyd,Led Zep,Fleetwood Mac,Radiohead,Guns N Roses. Either that or recite poetry (maybe even some of my own?)

If my 15 year old daughter was helping me (fat chance) it would likely be gangster rap.

16/05/2014 at 23:29

OL you mentioned Eva Cassidy there!! I just love her voice,her version of Sting's 'Fields of Gold' is utterly beautiful.

16/05/2014 at 23:48

Yes it is beautiful Fishy, I can just about listen to that one but still get a lump in my throat 

The songs for tomorrow could well be the entire Grease album sung at volume down Princes Street in Edinburgh.......it's not everyday my little sis get smarties so a good send off is a must.

Apologies to Fairygirl and anyone else north of the border who may well be able to hear us 

17/05/2014 at 00:54

Palaisglide - there's nothing like the big band sound.  I recently bought a cd 'Passing Strangers' with Billy Eckstine and Sarah Vaughan and of course I've always loved Glenn Miller.  When I was young though - being around just after the big bad era, I actually thought because of the film that James Stewart was Glenn Miller!   I remember when I was young, on Sunday afternoons my parents and I used to watch the Film Matinee on tv and that's when they used to show so many of the wonderful music and dance films which I love to this day.  The dancers then were phenomenal.  I've been amazed in recent years watching some documentaries of the Hollywood musical years.  What some of these talents put themselves through to show perfection was amazing - but oh how it shows and the performances are timeless

Now Orchid Lady, I'll be listening out for you in Princes Street tomorrow. Have a great time and if you get the chance have a look at the Floral Clock preparations (just opposite the art gallery) and see what their proposed flower display is about this year.  I know they were working on it but don't know what it's going to be.  I suspect something maybe to do with the Commonwealth Games but that's just a guess.

Fishy...ever seen the Australian Pink Floyd?  They were back in Edinburgh this Spring but I took my OH (severely disabled) to see them last year and they were really really good. 

If I'm ever in a bit of a mood or a bit down...the one song which can make me fall about laughing is a memory of student days when someone had an album by the Bonzo Dog Dooda (sp?) band.  The chorus was 'Here comes the equestrian statue...' at which time we would all fall about laughing.  Hilarious album it was on.  We also used to sing a song for a while...and I forget the band and the album...which went like 'Standing on a golf course, dressed in pvc, I chanced to see a golf girl, selling cups of tea'.  Does anyone recognise it?  I could google it of course but much more fun if someone on here knows it.

Again from the late 50's and tv film matinee's - I used to want to be Deanna Durban or sing and dance with Danny Kaye.  I was a dreamer then and still am.

17/05/2014 at 11:11

Orchid Lady, never mind North of the Border give a thought to us lot the other side, I need my beauty sleep (badly) so keep it low, "err" well ish.

Yarrow2, Deanna Durban was my first love I must have been all of ten at the time, I remember seeing one film three times in a week because my Parents loved musicals too.

All the years I have listened, Danced to, and played music some of it sticks for no particular reason. Cowboy films as a lad were a must and in one I heard South of the Border and it stuck, why. Clair de Lune was the first classical piece I played on the piano and it still tugs when I hear it. The Continental and all the things you are the musicals we saw in wartime. Carousel, Oklahoma, Blue Danube that was the night my late wife Joan and I danced in Vienna on an empty floor in a packed hall, why that happened I never worked out but we certainly got applause, unforgettable.

Music these days tends to be wall paper though every now and then one grabs you, last week on an old time show "The last time I saw Paris" we sang that after the fall of France and straight after "Smoke gets in your eye's" as a none smoking cinema goer that one hit base. Wonderful memories. Now I will go give my Ailsa Craig tomato's some TLC, may even sing to them, maybe not they might droop.

Frank.

17/05/2014 at 19:38

After a day of helping to show people round at my sisters 'open day' to sell her house......can't think of a song title ............but 'Crowded House' ......springs to mind! 

18/05/2014 at 21:24

Phew.......I'm glad my little sister is only getting married once  Yarrow, sorry I didn't see your post and for one reason and another didn't get much chance to 'sightsee'  

Had a lovely time and I think tonight's sons would be 'Sisters are Doin' it for. Themselves' or maybe Dreaming Trees 

Hope it went well Lily x

18/05/2014 at 21:35

Went well OL, will get in touch 

I'm doing stuff for my sister, she's not doing much for me lol 

So this sisters doing it for myself 

18/05/2014 at 21:40
Awwww, hugs Lily, I'm sure it's appreciated. Like I've said us big sisters are there to try your patience ....... Winky face as I've no smilies!!
18/05/2014 at 21:52

She's certainly doing that, its a good job i'm very patient lol

Ps. You have mail