London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
19/05/2014 at 18:39

Palaisglide, Frank:  hurrah!  Someone who likes Deanna Durban.  One of the great things about the internet is that you can watch snippets or whole Durban films on Youtube.  Fabulous!  I particularly like the one where her butler father and his butler friends go to a club so celebrate (I think) a Russian butler's birthday.  And hey ho, as always in her films, nobody knows she can really sing.  And of course at the beginning strains of a Russian ballad up she gets and beautifully sings in Russian bringing tears to their eyes.  That's what I loved most about her films - that the theme often was the fact that none of the other characters knew she could sing.  Great stuff. 

My dad loved cowboy films and so did I.  He loved John Wayne.  My favourite Wayne film though is 'The Quiet Man'.   But in the cowboy films, you always knew when the 'indians' (if we're allowed to lean from native American for a moment) were coming because of the music.  You knew there was always a stray one hidden behind a tree at the creek because of the music.  (Or the 'crick' as Doris would say in 'Calamity Jane').

Wow!  You danced to the Blue Danube with your lovely Joan in Vienna.  Unforgettable indeed.  OH and I were in Vienna in the late 80's and I dragged him to 'The Magic Flute'.  He fell asleep just before the interval and during the interval didn't feel he could bear any more of it.  So we dashed outside and gave our tickets to a young couple who had been disappointed being unable to get tickets.  We then went for a supposed 'walk' in the fresh air to clear his head!   We ended up at the Prater Stadium where - surprise surprise - his favourites the Rolling Stones were playing.  He'd spotted a poster earlier in the day but hadn't mentioned it.  However, it was a beautiful warm evening and he was forgiven.  We sat outside the stadium and listened for the latter half of this concert.  He's a wiley one!

Did you hear the waltz composed by Sir Anthony Hopkins played by Andre Reaui (can't spell his name)?  I saw it in the press this week and watched it on Youtube.  Nice job Sir Anthony.

19/05/2014 at 19:34

Yarrow2, Told you I loved her and so did Dad so I got dragged to see all her pictures from being a pup. The film you are talking about was a wartime one called His Butlers Sister, but favourites were Cant help Singing, Mad about Music (who isn't) Three Smart Girls. She broke my heart when she stopped making musicals some where in the late 1940's. The correct name by the way was Deanna Durbin and the other one is Andre Rieu I have some of his discs and DVD's.

Joan once dragged me kicking and screaming into a puppet theatre in Salzburg, it just was not me, I had the best night ever, it was a wonderful experience. We danced our way round Austria quite a few times often with requests for us to demonstrate what they called the English Waltz, the night in Vienna came right out of the blue, we shot on the floor as the leader raised his baton and did a solo, why, did they think we were part of the show? we were in best bib and tucker. As I said the place was jam packed yet when we went on the floor again it partly cleared and we got space to Viennese Waltz, glorious memories.  Something similar happened in Munchen, we had been up dancing a couple of times then we got up and the floor was empty they stood around and watched, we were told later the German Waltz was staid they all did the same moves we rang the changes, the English way they called it. I think I remember it as the free drinks flowed, I do not know who held who up as we made our way to bed.

My Granddaughter 4 was here today we were out in the garden and she sang to me, every word of a pop song and all the expressions, music is for all ages.

Frank.

19/05/2014 at 20:04

How lovely to hear of your dance in Vienna, and of your grand daughter, my little girl has just turned 3 , I so love it when she sings with me, we sing nursery rhymes to her 6 month old brother mainly!

19/05/2014 at 21:46
My little man, the drummer, has been asked to get his band together and perform at the end of year concert, so very proud of him
20/05/2014 at 07:30

That's brilliant Tracey x

20/05/2014 at 11:22

Orchid Lady, do what I did when dragged to see my lovely Grandson and his band as they fronted a top line Pop Group at what they call "err" is it a Gig.

I took plenty of ear plugs and cotton wool and they were needed, the music was not of my world I might say any world although the crowd went mad. I did realise through my gathering deafness that they were lost in the "err" music as they gyrated all over the stage to the screams of the masses of girls and women who had taken over the front of the place. I managed to escape to a bar once they had done their bit in getting the girls off on a high, (excuse some of the language I am not a pop fan), He was on a real bouncing high when he found me so I made all the right noises, he is after all my grandson.

Well to sum up, I had dipped my toe into the modern world was pleased and appalled at the same time and now he is a steady hard working engaged lad doing up his own house. The band gave him the grit to keep going when rejected, the confidence to go on a massive stage many times and perform, the realism that not all will make it so you change direction. I wish your little drummer joy in what he does, my grandson also found that, he still plays without the mad gyrations.

Frank

20/05/2014 at 18:33

Ha ha Frank, how lovely that you made the effort even though it wasn't to your taste, I'm sure your grandson was really pleased that you were there.  Unfortunately neither of my son's grandads will make the effort 

But I will be there and thankfully I like the music he plays......not so sure I like the thought of girls screaming and throwing themselves at him though, he's still my baby 

20/05/2014 at 19:30

Well done OLs little man. Great news 

22/05/2014 at 10:23

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f5EesOU5oc0

For my Nan whose birthday would have been today, I can't listen to it but hope you can enjoy it x

22/05/2014 at 11:51

Orchid Lady, My very first colour film, to us then a miracle, it is a song I often play for the Grandchildren, one of those evergreen tunes we all know and add memories to.

Frank.

22/05/2014 at 16:47

Hi Frank, it is one of my favourite films too and the original song I can listen too, it's just the Eva Cassidy version that gets me because it was a great favourite of my Nan's and was played at her funeral  It most certainly is an evergreen tune 

23/05/2014 at 21:30

When my sister and myself were children, Mum (who was a fairly good pianist herself) always wanted us to learn how to play the piano. In spite of the fact we were by no means very well off, we were duly sent for lessons.

My sister excelled and yours truly was a dismal failure.....the first piece my sister learned to play beautifully was Debussy's 'Clair  de Lune'.

Sadly she and her first born son were killed in a road accident in 1970...so as you can imagine, it always brings a tear to my eye when I hear it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG-vmVrHOGE

23/05/2014 at 22:37

Oh David, that's brought a tear to my eye, so tragic. My husband's uncle, godfather to our eldest was killed in a car accident...I don't want to go into detail but so horrible and we miss him so much, he was more like a brother to my OH....((hugs)) xx

23/05/2014 at 22:50

Oh David, I'm so sorry to hear that, how very sad. Sending you hugs. X 

Just listened to it  David, it brought tears to my eyes too.................best wishes 

23/05/2014 at 23:08

David, sad moments for you but I played it and the memories tumbled back. The music exams were usually a piece that tested the technical side but as you went up started to include the tests pieces scales and a piece of your own choice. Claire de Lune had been in a film and touched a nerve, the music was bought my teacher made sure I could play note perfect with the constant use of her one foot long pencil on my knuckles though I knew it should not be the mechanical mood she wanted, my Father a pianist took me through it and the one thing he wanted were the pauses, "go as if to play but pause then stroke the notes". The exam came and I played the piece as Dad said, the examiner pulled his chair next to the piano and told me to play it again, my thoughts were I had messed up so tried harder. Very good he said only the first time it flowed much better, never try too hard then. Who is your teacher, "Miss Cook", I do not think she taught you to play like that, so I blurted out no she did not, well thank you for playing it with feeling and I got my Certificate with top marks.

Music to me is a library of memories, not all good though all with meaning.

Frank.

23/05/2014 at 23:14

Frank, that last sentence is oh so true, an excellent way of summing up what all the posts on this thread mean to us all. 

As for the rest of the post, well I didn't read it as soon as you mentioned 'exams', as a 41 year old trying to get my grade 2 (my piano teacher thinks I'm capable of missing grade 1) I am absolutely 'bricking it' thinking of taking an exam again 

23/05/2014 at 23:16

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=kp&v=Ci40ae8BlcE

For all my 'Forkers' friends who have taught me all my gardening knowledge.......thank you 

23/05/2014 at 23:18

PS not to everyone's taste and I'm not really a rap fan but this never fails to make me smile 

23/05/2014 at 23:24

Sorry OL, meant to say....sorry about your nan. Hugs.x

When i listened to that, I then listened to some of her others I liked, and shed a tear or two. One of my favs by her is..........I know you by heart.

23/05/2014 at 23:34

Ooops missed you there OL, lol and thank you...........but, what do you mean, .....me? Crazy,.......surely not........there's  nothing crazy about me....