24/05/2014 at 00:04

Orchid Lady an exam is only a test of your efficiency, In some one else's mind, you practice then sit down compose your self, start when you are ready and play as well as you can. A couple of times my mind on other things I messed up, each time I stopped sorry may I play that again and did passing each time.

Be confident in your ability, forget the examiner and play to yourself, remember they cannot shoot you, well not yet and they are human.

Frank.

24/05/2014 at 09:44

Hi Lily, thank you for your kind words. She was a good age though and obviously we all go at some stage.  She had told my sister a few weeks before she died that she had had enough of being here and wanted to be with my gramps (who dies when I was 16) she knew and we knew they wanted to be together, doesn't stop you missing someone though does it x

24/05/2014 at 10:18

Please accept my sympathy too, Tracey......I understand how it must have been for you.

Thank you guys for your kind words & understanding regarding the loss of my sister. Unfortunately the story has a rather nasty sting in the tail.

My sister also had her other son (my nephew, Martin) in the car at the time of the crash and he sustained quite serious injuries too.....including two broken legs. However, he grew up into a fine strong lad and emigrated to Kenya to run a farm....very sad to say he was murdered for very little gain by local thugs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3602714.stm

So yes, 'Clair de Lune' does bring a tear to my eye.

24/05/2014 at 10:27

Oh David thats awful, so very sorry. What a cruel thing to happen, Sending hugs and best wishes love Lily xx

24/05/2014 at 10:32

No, OL, their age makes no difference. There are lots of songs that remind me of my mum or dad. Sometimes they bring a smile to my face and sometimes they make me cry. We all have so many memories of our loved ones.

David, have just read that thread, what a terrible thing to happen, made me cry. Sending you my very best wishes and hugs. Take care xx

24/05/2014 at 10:35
star gaze lily wrote (see)

Oh David thats awful, so very sorry. What a cruel thing to happen, Sending hugs and best wishes love Lily xx

Thank you, Lily......much appreciated. Life can be a bitch a times, but when we've been flattened, we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and get on with things.

24/05/2014 at 10:47

Forgot to say thank you Frank for the words of encouragement.

David, that is tragic. I'm sorry, very sorry. You're right, we do tend to pick ourselves up after I being flattened but it can take a long time and the pain never fully goes xx

24/05/2014 at 12:12

David "Pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again" they could write a song about it??

That is OK Orchid Lady, relax and do your best.

Todays tune is so full of memory it would take all the space on the forum. "White Rose of Athens" a very young Nana Mouscurie and the Island of love Cyprus a very long time ago, but what memories!!!

Frank.

24/05/2014 at 13:13

Oh Frank, my Gramps (who I mentioned earlier) used to love Nana Mouscurie 

24/05/2014 at 17:46

Love Cyprus Frank, we have had a few holidays there, and have wonderful memories. Want to go again, its beautiful there.

24/05/2014 at 18:50

Having just booked a holiday to Crete there is only one thing to listen to whilst I tackle the ironing pile.....Mamma Mia soundtrack 

24/05/2014 at 19:25

Imagine SGL, a bunch of lads who's only female sightings were the female camels as the camel trains passed our Beau Geste residence in the arid Desert, suddenly whipped on to a troopship and transhipped through the worst storm ever in the Med to Cyprus, we thought we had died and gone to heaven. Even more so when we escaped into the flesh pots and found out the girls had one ambition, marry a Soldier and go to England. It was Bridgend with a lot more cream. I was posted there twice Larnaca and then Dekhelia  making the most of it.

Frank.

24/05/2014 at 20:12

Frank

30/05/2014 at 10:00

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LOFB1CHONfk

Today's song may surprise some of you, coming from someone so young  

My mum had/has the record and I used to play it over and over again on her old record player, one of the ones like a suitcase that opened up - we couldn't afford a new trendy one like my friends but I loved it and wished we still had it.

The memories from this song are so happy 

30/05/2014 at 10:20

Awww OL, that brought a tear to my eye   

30/05/2014 at 10:32

Snap L ily, but then it quite often does  Who needs fancy gadgets when you can have music 

30/05/2014 at 15:41

Orchid Lady "The Dansette Record Player" we bought one for the kids so they could play it anywhere there was a plug, they would have had a job moving the Radiogram around, a very solid bit of furniture.

And today I bring you a song I was playing yesterday in practice from the family song book. "With a Song in my Heart" 4/4 time and three flats Orchid Lady so get that practice in. It was a long time before your little number above, around forty years I think but still good.

Frank.

30/06/2014 at 22:39

A lovely hour with Len Goodman and a repeat of the old time Dance Bands, BBC4 well done. Dad with his wind up Gramophone with the big trumpet he took in payment for moving some one in a time when money was short, a pile of records all the latest bands and singers, as a wee lad I could sing them all and still play many of those tunes. Growing up with it then dancing to some of those bands as they reformed after the war to me a golden era and probably a mystery to those brought up on Little Richard or the Beatles, maybe nostalgic still wonderful stirring music unlike the three chord wonders that followed and assaulted the ear drums, "Oh well" an enjoyable change from football and tennis.

Frank.

30/06/2014 at 23:02

Hello Frank, I'd forgotten about this thread recently!!  I really enjoyed watching Dolly last night at Glastonbury, I would love to see her live.  

We are going it see James Blunt on Friday, I can't wait  Obviously he has been my music of choice everywhere this week!! 

30/06/2014 at 23:48

Hi Orchid Lady, he is ex army and we all learned to sing as the log over a trench toilets were usually outside the perimeter, you sang going to, sitting or I should say perching on and returning so the guards did not shoot you, mind some of the singing got you shot at anyway. Enjoy your Concert.

Frank.