Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Music in the Garden

Following on from my loud singing in the garden yesterday and a  discussion started on another thread, I thought it would be quite nice to see what others listen to when pottering in the garden.....apart from the birds of course!!

Yesterday in was The Carpenters, Top of The World that I was entertaining the neighbours with image

• I listen to lots of music:- Eric Clapton, Sting,Phil Collins,Killers,Hall &Oates,Barry White,George Michael and now Rumer [thanks Tracey ].She has got a beautiful voice.Ifound her in Daryls house yesterday.Ilove him too so was in heaven watching and listening.Ieven managed to connect it to my tv for the first time ever.I'm not a tecci.Ialso have to listen to an electric saw which someone dowm the street uses nearly all the time.Don't know what he does.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I suppose it depends what sort of mood we are in, sometimes I listen to Einaudi (pianist) and others I will listen to my favourites playlist on my iPod, which includes a very diverse range from Bolero to Footloose.....which of course I have it have a little jig to (my best friend calls it my song!)

• My neighbour repairs and builds classic motor bikes. So I often have to listen to the strains of a motor bike revving as well as the usual smells coming from his garages.  He is slowing down now, so not so often. Yes we have a neighbour 3 or 4 down who must work in his shed all hours. His lathe or saw is permanently going, until an ambulance turned up as he had damaged his hand! Me as I work in a call centre, I like the ambience of just the garden. Peace, tranquility, and switch out neighbours!

• I listen to the birds in the trees and whatever OH has on the radio in the studio - he usually has the door open onto the terrace when I'm gardening - it's likely to be Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto, or Nick Drake, or Kate Bush or Erik Satie or Talking Heads or Bach cello suites ............ almost anything really  ...... we share pretty eclectic tastes in music.

One of our favourite Sunday listens is Charles Trenet's Extraordinary Garden 

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/extraordinary-garden-very/id696636662 image

You're probably all very thankful you don't live next door image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'm a bit like Dove - it could be almost anything from James and Joni to opera - too many to mention but definitely Placido  (who I'm secretly in love with  image  )  or Mozart (ahh the Clarinet Concerto - Jack Brymer recording) or Oscar Peterson  or Andre Previn (playing Gershwin - Dad was a jazz musician) or Stevie Wonder or Tom Petty or Elton or ....and so it goes on. image I mainly keep the louder stuff for when I'm driving though!

Dove did you see the programme about Jacqueline du Pre recently? Another huge talent taken too soon. She was superb.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I have Absolute 80s on the radio almost all weekend in the kitchen!!  Radio 2 during the week and in the car, unless Jeremy Vine gets too serious, or I feel myself getting stressed driving and then it's Classic FM.

• Tom Petty - Free fallin - one of the best records ever - you can play that one to see me off when my time comes!

And The Big O is god!!!  

and  I'm also a big Chuck Berry fan

and I've adored Placido for years 

I didn't see that du Pré programme - unless it was a repeat - I saw one a few years ago.  

Verdun, my zimmer needs a wash and brush up - you had it last - your turn image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I don't have any music on in the garden, unless it's an evening and we have company, then only quietly. However I often have songs going around in my head.image

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

None go into the garden for peace & quiet time love hearing the birds sing as i work away.