London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 606 messages
23/02/2014 at 12:02

Following on from my loud singing in the garden yesterday and a  discussion started on another thread, I thought it would be quite nice to see what others listen to when pottering in the garden.....apart from the birds of course!!

Yesterday in was The Carpenters, Top of The World that I was entertaining the neighbours with 

23/02/2014 at 12:43

I listen to lots of music:- Eric Clapton, Sting,Phil Collins,Killers,Hall &Oates,Barry White,George Michael and now Rumer [thanks Tracey ].She has got a beautiful voice.Ifound her in Daryls house yesterday.Ilove him too so was in heaven watching and listening.Ieven managed to connect it to my tv for the first time ever.I'm not a tecci.Ialso have to listen to an electric saw which someone dowm the street uses nearly all the time.Don't know what he does.

23/02/2014 at 12:49

I suppose it depends what sort of mood we are in, sometimes I listen to Einaudi (pianist) and others I will listen to my favourites playlist on my iPod, which includes a very diverse range from Bolero to Footloose.....which of course I have it have a little jig to (my best friend calls it my song!)

23/02/2014 at 12:50

My neighbour repairs and builds classic motor bikes. So I often have to listen to the strains of a motor bike revving as well as the usual smells coming from his garages.  He is slowing down now, so not so often. Yes we have a neighbour 3 or 4 down who must work in his shed all hours. His lathe or saw is permanently going, until an ambulance turned up as he had damaged his hand! Me as I work in a call centre, I like the ambience of just the garden. Peace, tranquility, and switch out neighbours!

23/02/2014 at 12:56

I listen to the birds in the trees and whatever OH has on the radio in the studio - he usually has the door open onto the terrace when I'm gardening - it's likely to be Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto, or Nick Drake, or Kate Bush or Erik Satie or Talking Heads or Bach cello suites ............ almost anything really  ...... we share pretty eclectic tastes in music.

One of our favourite Sunday listens is Charles Trenet's Extraordinary Garden 

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/extraordinary-garden-very/id696636662 

You're probably all very thankful you don't live next door 

23/02/2014 at 13:13

Don't really take music into the garden much. ,I'm a bit of a restless so amd so and always see something to do that has to be done fast.  Now, music in the car is nice.  Years ago music very, very loud in a convertible in the sun and at speed was heaven......now 100 years later I use doves Zimmer........

23/02/2014 at 13:13

I'm a bit like Dove - it could be almost anything from James and Joni to opera - too many to mention but definitely Placido  (who I'm secretly in love with    )  or Mozart (ahh the Clarinet Concerto - Jack Brymer recording) or Oscar Peterson  or Andre Previn (playing Gershwin - Dad was a jazz musician) or Stevie Wonder or Tom Petty or Elton or ....and so it goes on.  I mainly keep the louder stuff for when I'm driving though!

Dove did you see the programme about Jacqueline du Pre recently? Another huge talent taken too soon. She was superb.

23/02/2014 at 13:19

I have Absolute 80s on the radio almost all weekend in the kitchen!!  Radio 2 during the week and in the car, unless Jeremy Vine gets too serious, or I feel myself getting stressed driving and then it's Classic FM.

23/02/2014 at 13:24

Tom Petty - Free fallin - one of the best records ever - you can play that one to see me off when my time comes!

And The Big O is god!!!  

and  I'm also a big Chuck Berry fan

and I've adored Placido for years 

I didn't see that du Pré programme - unless it was a repeat - I saw one a few years ago.  

Verdun, my zimmer needs a wash and brush up - you had it last - your turn 

KEF
23/02/2014 at 13:44

I don't have any music on in the garden, unless it's an evening and we have company, then only quietly. However I often have songs going around in my head.

23/02/2014 at 13:48

None go into the garden for peace & quiet time love hearing the birds sing as i work away.

23/02/2014 at 13:51

Because ours is being played in the studio it's really quiet - the neighbours can't hear it and I can hear the birdsong over it.  I woudn't play loud music in the garden, and thankfully neither do the neighbours - (just their windchime, but that's another story). 

23/02/2014 at 13:57

I have my head phones on and wouldn't play it out loud either, I just sing along sometimes!  I don't have it loud so can also hear the birds, but if the boys start calling me I can pretend it's loud enough that I can't hear them 

23/02/2014 at 13:58

Tee hee - I used to do that in the studio at Art School, head phones on, painting away, singing along - much to the consternation of the younger students 

23/02/2014 at 13:59

Gardeners Question Time on Radio 4 in a min folks!!!

Whoops!  wrong thread 

23/02/2014 at 14:01

I just like to listen to the birds and I love to watch them feeding when I am in my potting shed. What really annoys me is being forced to listen to other peoples music that they have blasting out of their houses. If they need to listen to music with the volume up full then why can't they close their windows. Hope I don't sound too grumpy.

23/02/2014 at 14:05

I don't play music in the garden as it isn't a large garden and immediate neighbours would have to listen to it too. What I have to listen to...no choice ...is discordant wind chime in neighbours garden and kids swearing as the play football on the play field out the bottom fence. Try to live and let live. I have loads of mixed music on my iPod Cohen to Ella to John Williams classic guitar. I can't work with my headphones on I get all tangled up in the cable and nearly strangle myself.

i like my music while I'm perusing seed catalogues gardening books etc.a glass of wine goes down well too!

23/02/2014 at 14:08

Glass of wine I agree with 

Good job you don't live near me donutsmrs, my youngest son has just been practising his drums for half an hour.  I do limit the time though and he is a good drummer, it isn't just aimless banging  One of our neighbours actually asked who it was and couldn't believe it was my 12 year old, he thought it was someone in a band!!!

23/02/2014 at 14:27

Saw Mr Petty many years ago Dove. He was stunningly brilliant.   The J du P programme would have been a repeat I expect - Sky Arts channel. You can't have Placido Dove - I saw him first...

I don't have an i pod ( or an 'aye' pod ) so I have to take a radio or cd player outside with me but I'm also very aware of keeping it at an acceptable level. 

23/02/2014 at 14:38
Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)

Good job you don't live near me donutsmrs, my youngest son has just been practising his drums for half an hour.  I do limit the time though and he is a good drummer, it isn't just aimless banging  One of our neighbours actually asked who it was and couldn't believe it was my 12 year old, he thought it was someone in a band!!!

I could live with that Tracey-Newbie as like you say its only an half hour or so. Hope he makes a career out it then he can keep you in the style you would like to become accustomed too. 

1 to 20 of 606 messages