Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Music. Tunes that mean lots to YOU.

Rose Royce Wishing on a star. It is the first and only song my husband and I ever danced to. neither of us were dancers.

Roberta Flack First I’ve ever I saw your face. Always loved this song and it was played as we entered for Paul’s funeral.

Hozier Work Song I think this is one of the best modern love songs ever sung and I love Hozier.

Israel Kamakawiwoʻole somewher over the rainbow. Anything sung by Izzy is great but this is my favourite 

another night wher I wake it the early hours and no I think I might listen to a few tunes.

• SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444

A few more favourites from my play list

Goo Goo Dolls Come to Me

Train Calling all Angels

Counting crows Long December

K‘S choice everything for free.

I have a very varied music taste so no gender of music is ruled out.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012
    Sussexsun says:

Israel Kamakawiwoʻole somewher over the rainbow. Anything sung by Izzy is great but this is my favourite 

See original post

I agree with that, absolutely incredible voice to come from such a huge man.

For me though it's anything from the Flying Pickets.  My dad wasn't a great one for music, but he was bed bound for a few months before his death and loved listening to them.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,154

So much grief and sorrow ;happiness regained only in memories image

My Mother was English , and my Dad was Russian ; in 2009 I lost both of them within 24-hours of each other .

Even now , the sound of an accordion or Russian style melodies can bring a tear ; I'm early 60's now , and still miss my Dad !

PS  Good post Mike !! image

Age has nothing to do with it Paul B3.  It's 12 years since I lost my Mum and I still miss her as much as ever.  Recently also lost a cousin who was the spitting image of Mum and has brought it all back again.

KT53

Thanks for that ! They say that time heals ; to a certain extent it does .

I have to pass their old house frequently whilst going to work , it has only memories now . Still seems strange though seeing different occupants image . At least they're looking after the 'old-place' .

Brilliant sax = Junior Walker & the All Stars 'Walk in the Night ' ; to me , sums up the late 60/70s image

Pauline 7 says:

I don't have a favourite song,  but I do have one I absolutely detest.  Simply The Best by Tina Turner.  Sorry all of you who love the song but my ex OH  always said "I dont know why you don't like it.  It should remind you of me.  There really is no one better than me " and he meant it too. 

He was convinced that it was written about him. 

See original post

I can't understand how such a modest man can now be an 'ex'.  How careless of you to lose him. image

• That’s Amore reminds me of my dad as it was his funeral exit song and he liked to sing along to the pizza pie bit. O and Nana Mouskouri which was mums choice for the entry song, a bit like wailing cats on Prozac so the latter is not a favourite. 

My mum loves Nat King Cole, Mike. He is timeless. Comes out every Christmas at mums. 

I’m rather partial to Jamie Cullen for relaxing - his All at Sea (where no one can bother me) is my favourite to play if I get on the plane to relax after working away to head home.

And lately George Ezra (check out Don’t Matter Now). 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530

I was a committed atheist until I was 40, when Jesus most unexpectedly made himself known to me. The first time I went to church, I was astonished to hear the organ playing the Dambusters' March. It was an arrangement of Psalm 46, the words every bit as stirring as the tune.  As I like to sing lustily, I thought. "Now, this is my idea of a church!". Six months later, I had it sung at my baptism.