Start a new thread

21 to 40 of 81 replies

gardeningfantic

well Pam..  that was 2 trays more than i managed.. how yr verbena ones doing?

How organised are you Lilylouise. I dont have heating in my greenhouse but i hoping to try and keep my jalapeno chillies so have bought some fleece jackets for them.

boozysuzy

Lilylouise - your garden is an inspiration and I marvel at your dedication! I would like to ask a question about how you pot up your cuttings.  I always put cuttings around the edge of pots and this works quite well.  I notice, though, that you use modular trays and put the cuttings into the middle of each module.  Is this a more reliable method?

Peat B

LL, you are depressing me ! I have tried for years, to get a cutting to 'take', and all I get is a tray or pot full of potential compost twigs. I try store bought cutting stuff, make up my own, adding grit, agricultural sand, dipping into rooting compounds, all the miracle growing compounds, and the now inevitable result is, compost !

I think that there are some who are blessed with green hands. I am cursed with 'for cabbages only' hands ! Still, it's fun to dig, for digging sake.

The potty gardener

LL you are an inspiration to us all. Mind you I couldn't do as many as you as my garden isn't big enough. By the look of what you've done your greenhouses are bigger than my entire garden. I have however got one of those small plastic greenhouse things this year and will see how I get on with that.I hope to be able to do some geraniums and fuchsias. There was someone on here though who said that they wrapped geraniums- the pelargonium type in newspaper to overwinter them and I would quite like to try this.

Advertisement

Lilylouise
boozysuzy wrote (see)

Lilylouise - your garden is an inspiration and I marvel at your dedication! I would like to ask a question about how you pot up your cuttings.  I always put cuttings around the edge of pots and this works quite well.  I notice, though, that you use modular trays and put the cuttings into the middle of each module.  Is this a more reliable method?

Hello boozysuzy  I use allsorts to put my cuttings  in - I am very greedy so that is why I use tryas and modules - I do use pots the same way you do ,though  I always take more cuttings than I need so it doesn't matter if some fail. This year i am experimenting with cuttings in neat Perlite - someone told me about this method and I tried  a few cuttings of Laurentia last year and they were very successful

Today I have taken cuttings of Felicia, Sanvitalia, Plectranthus,Cobaeas, more Verbenas,more trailing Geraniums,more African Blue basil and more New Guinea Impatiens

Pam LL x

Laurentia and Cobaea cuttings in just Perlite

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/dahliasandcuttings006_zps897dbaf2.jpg

Verbena - Pink

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/dahliasandcuttings011_zps0eeb2bb6.jpg

Plectranthus

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/dahliasandcuttings005_zps4765de56.jpg

Sanvitalia

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/dahliasandcuttings009_zpse731df98.jpg

Felicia

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/dahliasandcuttings010_zpsfe93eba4.jpg

Lilylouise

Peat Ballan - I just use multipurpose compost with some vermiculite added - I rarely use rooting stuff

Thankyou Bev  I am not convinced that a plastic greenhouse is warm enough - could you put some cuttings on a windowsill in the house

Pam LL x

Lilylouise

Gardeningfanatic - my Verbena rigidas have rooted

Pam LL x

I take cuttings of osteospurmum each year but as years go by I get more foliage and fewer flowers. any ideas?

ingridv8x

I am a very keen and quite successful cuttings-taker, but don't ever keep cuttings alive in Perlite alone - wonder what I am doing wrong? The perlite doesn't seem to 'set' and the cuttings just fall over and die. What I am intrigued with LL, is how close you keep your trays one above the other in the greenhouse? I'm always worried they don't get enough light so only stack 2 layers deep - thus never enough room in the greenhouse!

Lilylouise

Hello Ingrid  I am just experimenting with Perlite - last year may have been a fluke

My trays aren't stacked - the photos may give this impression . I have shelves on 2 sides of the greenhouse and the cutting trays go here and on the staging

Pam LL x 

Lilylouise
Don Hesketh wrote (see)

I take cuttings of osteospurmum each year but as years go by I get more foliage and fewer flowers. any ideas?

Hello Don - My Osteos are very weather dependant - the more sun they get the better- this year they haven't done so well - don't get disheartened

Pam LL x

The potty gardener

Thank you Lilylouise. I shall put as many on the kitchen windowsill as possible.

Not sure perlite alone is good idea Ingrid.48x. 50/50 with multipurpose better. Re osteospermums, they do need sun to flower. Mesembryanthemums hardly flowered for me this year and gazanias were not as good as usual.

Hold on there christopher2, lilyloiuse has kindly shared her photos and her obviously extensive knowledge of taking cuttings, if she says something works I for one would believe her. have you seen the video of her garden?

Advertisement

Joslow. I was replying to Ingrid's question about perlite. A few days ago I posted an entry on this forum about not taking offence. If lilyloiuse sees anything offensive in my post I will apologise but I have reviewed it and see nothing but harmless and well intentioned advice. However please tell me where I may have erred in order for me not to repeat it......I would not undermine lilyloiuse in any way
Lilylouise

No offence taken Christopher 2 Thankyou for your confidence in me joslow

Re Perlite - as I said I am just experimenting after success with a couple of pots of Laurentia cuttings last year- when I have put Laurentia in my normal cuttings mix they have always failed  Anyway - my philosophy with cuttings is they have 2 chances and if they root and grow well I have lots more plants to play with

Yesterday I took cuttings of Tangerine Sage,Pineapple Sage,Lemon Verbena,Solanum alba,Hampton Court Plectranthus,stripey trailing Geranium,Pink single Marguerites,pink double Marguerites, furry scented Geraniums and some Centradenia

Lots of the trays of cuttings that I took a few weeks ago have now rooted

When my greenhouse is tidy I will take a pic

Pam LL x

Jean Genie

Pam, you are truly amazing ! I could never imagine your green house to look untidy.  . Just to let you know, my blue basil is enormous now and growing well.

Lowenna

I couldn't be bothered with bedding plants.They are so cheap to buy as seedlings in the spring ( cheaper than heating a gh, buying compost pots et al) I do take cuttings of perennials and overwinter them in a cold gh and coldframe.

Lilylouise

Hello Lowenna - I do take your point about bedding plants but as I go so OTT with my front garden it is cheaper for me to grow my own bedding and tender perennials.I only have one frost free greenhouse over winter.

The only plants I didn't grow in these baskets are the CalibroachaAnyway - I love growing my own plants  - each to his own as they say

Pam LL x

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/aubergines002.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/aubergines003.jpg