London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
21 to 40 of 81 messages
05/09/2012 at 09:19

well Pam..  that was 2 trays more than i managed.. how yr verbena ones doing?

05/09/2012 at 10:41

How organised are you Lilylouise. I dont have heating in my greenhouse but i hoping to try and keep my jalapeno chillies so have bought some fleece jackets for them.

05/09/2012 at 13:58

Lilylouise - your garden is an inspiration and I marvel at your dedication! I would like to ask a question about how you pot up your cuttings.  I always put cuttings around the edge of pots and this works quite well.  I notice, though, that you use modular trays and put the cuttings into the middle of each module.  Is this a more reliable method?

14/09/2012 at 09:56

LL, you are depressing me ! I have tried for years, to get a cutting to 'take', and all I get is a tray or pot full of potential compost twigs. I try store bought cutting stuff, make up my own, adding grit, agricultural sand, dipping into rooting compounds, all the miracle growing compounds, and the now inevitable result is, compost !

I think that there are some who are blessed with green hands. I am cursed with 'for cabbages only' hands ! Still, it's fun to dig, for digging sake.

15/09/2012 at 13:12

LL you are an inspiration to us all. Mind you I couldn't do as many as you as my garden isn't big enough. By the look of what you've done your greenhouses are bigger than my entire garden. I have however got one of those small plastic greenhouse things this year and will see how I get on with that.I hope to be able to do some geraniums and fuchsias. There was someone on here though who said that they wrapped geraniums- the pelargonium type in newspaper to overwinter them and I would quite like to try this.

20/09/2012 at 19:31
boozysuzy wrote (see)

Lilylouise - your garden is an inspiration and I marvel at your dedication! I would like to ask a question about how you pot up your cuttings.  I always put cuttings around the edge of pots and this works quite well.  I notice, though, that you use modular trays and put the cuttings into the middle of each module.  Is this a more reliable method?

Hello boozysuzy  I use allsorts to put my cuttings  in - I am very greedy so that is why I use tryas and modules - I do use pots the same way you do ,though  I always take more cuttings than I need so it doesn't matter if some fail. This year i am experimenting with cuttings in neat Perlite - someone told me about this method and I tried  a few cuttings of Laurentia last year and they were very successful

Today I have taken cuttings of Felicia, Sanvitalia, Plectranthus,Cobaeas, more Verbenas,more trailing Geraniums,more African Blue basil and more New Guinea Impatiens

Pam LL x

Laurentia and Cobaea cuttings in just Perlite

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/dahliasandcuttings006_zps897dbaf2.jpg

Verbena - Pink

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/dahliasandcuttings011_zps0eeb2bb6.jpg

Plectranthus

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/dahliasandcuttings005_zps4765de56.jpg

Sanvitalia

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/dahliasandcuttings009_zpse731df98.jpg

Felicia

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/dahliasandcuttings010_zpsfe93eba4.jpg

20/09/2012 at 19:35

Peat Ballan - I just use multipurpose compost with some vermiculite added - I rarely use rooting stuff

Thankyou Bev  I am not convinced that a plastic greenhouse is warm enough - could you put some cuttings on a windowsill in the house

Pam LL x

20/09/2012 at 20:04

Gardeningfanatic - my Verbena rigidas have rooted

Pam LL x

20/09/2012 at 20:39

I take cuttings of osteospurmum each year but as years go by I get more foliage and fewer flowers. any ideas?

20/09/2012 at 21:49

I am a very keen and quite successful cuttings-taker, but don't ever keep cuttings alive in Perlite alone - wonder what I am doing wrong? The perlite doesn't seem to 'set' and the cuttings just fall over and die. What I am intrigued with LL, is how close you keep your trays one above the other in the greenhouse? I'm always worried they don't get enough light so only stack 2 layers deep - thus never enough room in the greenhouse!

21/09/2012 at 15:54

Hello Ingrid  I am just experimenting with Perlite - last year may have been a fluke

My trays aren't stacked - the photos may give this impression . I have shelves on 2 sides of the greenhouse and the cutting trays go here and on the staging

Pam LL x 

21/09/2012 at 15:56
Don Hesketh wrote (see)

I take cuttings of osteospurmum each year but as years go by I get more foliage and fewer flowers. any ideas?

Hello Don - My Osteos are very weather dependant - the more sun they get the better- this year they haven't done so well - don't get disheartened

Pam LL x

21/09/2012 at 19:18

Thank you Lilylouise. I shall put as many on the kitchen windowsill as possible.

22/09/2012 at 21:51
Not sure perlite alone is good idea Ingrid.48x. 50/50 with multipurpose better. Re osteospermums, they do need sun to flower. Mesembryanthemums hardly flowered for me this year and gazanias were not as good as usual.
22/09/2012 at 22:23

Hold on there christopher2, lilyloiuse has kindly shared her photos and her obviously extensive knowledge of taking cuttings, if she says something works I for one would believe her. have you seen the video of her garden?

23/09/2012 at 00:29
Joslow. I was replying to Ingrid's question about perlite. A few days ago I posted an entry on this forum about not taking offence. If lilyloiuse sees anything offensive in my post I will apologise but I have reviewed it and see nothing but harmless and well intentioned advice. However please tell me where I may have erred in order for me not to repeat it......I would not undermine lilyloiuse in any way
23/09/2012 at 07:04

No offence taken Christopher 2 Thankyou for your confidence in me joslow

Re Perlite - as I said I am just experimenting after success with a couple of pots of Laurentia cuttings last year- when I have put Laurentia in my normal cuttings mix they have always failed  Anyway - my philosophy with cuttings is they have 2 chances and if they root and grow well I have lots more plants to play with

Yesterday I took cuttings of Tangerine Sage,Pineapple Sage,Lemon Verbena,Solanum alba,Hampton Court Plectranthus,stripey trailing Geranium,Pink single Marguerites,pink double Marguerites, furry scented Geraniums and some Centradenia

Lots of the trays of cuttings that I took a few weeks ago have now rooted

When my greenhouse is tidy I will take a pic

Pam LL x

23/09/2012 at 07:58

Pam, you are truly amazing ! I could never imagine your green house to look untidy.  . Just to let you know, my blue basil is enormous now and growing well.

23/09/2012 at 10:13

I couldn't be bothered with bedding plants.They are so cheap to buy as seedlings in the spring ( cheaper than heating a gh, buying compost pots et al) I do take cuttings of perennials and overwinter them in a cold gh and coldframe.

23/09/2012 at 11:48

Hello Lowenna - I do take your point about bedding plants but as I go so OTT with my front garden it is cheaper for me to grow my own bedding and tender perennials.I only have one frost free greenhouse over winter.

The only plants I didn't grow in these baskets are the CalibroachaAnyway - I love growing my own plants  - each to his own as they say

Pam LL x

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/aubergines002.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/aubergines003.jpg

21 to 40 of 81 messages