Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

my-garden

Hello everyone,

I'm going to share some pictures of my garden with you all, especially for those of you who have had the misfortune to listen to me banging on about it for last few months! We inherited the garden when we moved, and so most of what you see here is as it came to us but I'm learning to love its rustic, rugged beauty I have to say. The front garden we did put a lot of work into. There was a very old overgrown and deformed fir tree in the garden mostly dead and blocking out light to the kitchen so we had it chopped down and replaced the area it covered with the barked area you can see here. I know I've got a lot of spaces to fill in it yet, and I know I have things that technically shouldn't grow together but I just love it. The bank at the back suddenly sprung up all the flowers etc you can see in the pic, and I love them although they're all going over now. And as you can see we're completely hemmed in by trees and hedges. Gotta learn to love that right?! Anyway, enough of me wittering on, just wanted to share these with anyone that might want to look, Heather

Gotta have a gnome, right?!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Is that a Colt house Heather?

Lovely garden, and lots of itimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

What a great space Heather and the trees and hedging mean you have privacy right away - a real bonus because it takes a long time to get that if you have big open spaces. You've already got it all in order and  made your mark as well. Funny how we can be told by experts that this or that won't grow well there etc, but sometimes plants just go ahead and do! You'll have great fun adding to your plot as time goes on. Good luck with it and lovely pix. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • hmm Nutcutlet not sure what a Colt House is! It was built in the 50's I believe and is built entirely of wood and that's as much I know I'm afraid but we love it.

And there is a lot of garden, it effectively runs right around the house. I'm thinking I'm lucky on that one.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Was wondering myself Heather! Are those cedar shingles on the outside? I'm sure nut will enlighten us! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thanks Fairygirl, its been a bit of a mission but to be honest I've loved every minute image

• Sorry Fairygirl, again no idea! I just live in it! I'm no good am I?! image

Might have been other people making the same sort of houses at the time. Mine looks very similar in style and windows but cedar board clad. We love it

• Sounds heavenely nutcutlet. This thing isn't very good at letting me see people's profiles, what part of the country do you live in? 

I'm on the edge of peterborough Heather

• Nice area nutcutlet