Start a new thread
Cia

I wondered if anyone knew of a plant, that had the name Oscar in it? I know of a Gladiolli with the name but they arnt my kinda thing - god bless them.

there was a rose called oscar levent but god knows if its still in cultivation

Cia

Thank you Paul. just had a look at your link - very helpful.

Thank you David i will persue your comment.

Oscar was my beloved cat. (avatar)  He passed away in the summer of 2010.

Wintersong

What a handsome cat!

I had a beloved 13yr old Labrador called Phar, that had to be put down in 2010 and is much missed.

Advertisement

Cia

Thank you Wintersong - he was indeed a handsome chap and very affectionate too. He loved his little garden and its not the same without him. Although i did scatter his ashes in a huge pot of Stipa grass. He used to love to attack mine so i felt it fitting. He rests outside my patio door where i can keep any eye on him.

Sorry to hear you also suffered a loss. Phar absence must have been devastating. 13 years for a dog is quite something although i know that is of no comfort to yourself. My boy was 9 and i still felt cheated.

Take care.

Paul N

Cia

I have contacted my keen rose growing friends in South Africa and the Netherlands and there a number of rare 'Oscar' roses. They will take some hunting down if you decide on a rose (I always would) so here goes -

Oskar Kordel (Oskar Cordel), Hybrid Perpetual, medium to deep pink, breed 1897 by Lambert. it's only available by two nurseries world wide: Chill Out Roses in Chugiak, USA and Hortico in Canada

Oskar Scheerer (Orscar Scheerer), Shrub Rose, dark red, breed by Kordes in 1961, available at 4 nurseries world wide: Les Roses Anciennes de Andre Eve, France; Pepinieres Loubert, France; Pepinieres Prayssacoises, France; La Rosarie Du Berry, France

Oscar Chauvry, Noisiette, medium pink breed 1900 by Chauvry is available only from: La Rosarie du Desert, France

Paul N

But do come back and tells us how you get on please.

Cia

Thanks for the information Paul. Its nice to know. My garden at the moment is pretty full and i have to leave certain gaps for Bertie the badger and Yakkerty the fox. But i appreciate you searching.

Ground Elder

We have tulips called Oscar.  Quite an attractive shade of red and not too tall.

Cia

Oh really. They would look super in a pot. Where did you get them from?

Ground Elder
Cia wrote (see)

Oh really. They would look super in a pot. Where did you get them from?

We bought ours from the Keukenhof, while on a trip to Holland, but they should be available from good bulb catalogues.

Cia

Thank you for that - will persue further enquires.

Paul N

Cia

No garden is too crowded for roses - I have 72

Cia

Gees 72 !!!

Advertisement

LisaJ

You must have some size of garden!  I have one rose, it's not called Oscar though.

Paul N

1/3 acre, but I have a section called a rose garden which has lots of rose bushes almost exclusively. Oh plus 23ish rose cuttings in the greenhouse.

Hi there,

I have tried in vain to obtain the tulip called 'Oscar', can anyone advise where I can get this from?