London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
4 messages
14/08/2013 at 18:37

A few year ago on the way to the supermarket near our very small village i first saw this old lady holding her little yorki dog,

It was about 9am and a freezing morning, her house was on the main road throught the village "if you can call a road that see's a few tractors and a few cars all day long

a main road" I remeber thinking to myself should i stop and ask if she needed any help "but life being the way it is these day's you tend to keep yourself to yourself and she didnt seem in any stress and the post lady was walking towards her with a letter in hand so all seemed well.

The spring time arrived and this little house had its window bow out with the geraniums in as do all the french houses around here.

As the summer arrived i noticed i'd not seen the old lady or her little dog for ages and what was always atidy garden started to look just the opposit, untidy,

grass getting longer the window box dry and the geranuims dead,

I asked in the local spar shop if anyone had any idea if she was ok?

She"d died a few month ago I was told, Well today again i passed her little house and natrue in such a short time has taken back the garden "you cant even see we're the little front gate is.

It makes you understand "we're only landlords really we own nothing it all belongs to nature in the end.

14/08/2013 at 18:54

I'm touched. My old lady neighbour's garden backs onto mine. She had an emaculate garden which I could only see if she shouted me and I stood on tiptoes to speak to her or went up son's climbing tower. Last year she had people in tending the garden. Last month I was shocked to see how dry and neglected it was. Last week I saw a For Sale sign outside her house. I've asked but no one as yet knows what has happened.

14/08/2013 at 19:32

I think this is so sad 

but you are right we are only watchmen in the end 

James

15/08/2013 at 00:07

Nature will always reclaim its own.  Whether its concrete, Tarmac, water, whatever, nature will colonise it in time.  Yes James and smokin......we are only temporary tenants here

On the Towans behind me....on the way to the beach....there used to live a caretaker and his wife. They made a garden in their cottage plot.  It's all neglected now, cottage fallen into disrepair and all overgrown with nature's  choices.....ivy, bramble, sycamore, etc......but the roses and apple trees are still there to remind us people did live there once.  No sentiment with nature is there?

email image
4 messages