Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Nesting Doves

I took these photos a couple of days ago of a pair of collared doves who have built their nest at the end of the telegraph wire attached to my parents house.  

put this one on to show where the nest is - sorry its sideways on I'm not very techno savy.

• very ingenious! 

• Amazing how birds adapt to changing conditions!

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Incredibleimage

• LorrainePLorraineP Posts: 218

Last year a pair of doves (maybe the same pair) made a nest in a fir tree next-door-but-one to my parents house.  The tree is situated next to the front door, in front of the porch window, and the nest was about 9' up the tree. Sadly a magpie got the egg.  So, if it is the same pair it makes me wonder if my garden/house will be their choice of nesting site next year.  My house is between the two previous nesting sites, ie next door to my parents. 

• pashpash Posts: 109

bump

• LorrainePLorraineP Posts: 218

Sorry to report that magpies destroyed the nest.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Pash, could you explain what "bump" means? Is it a plant?image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I think that Pash was trying to 'bump' lots of posts up to the top of the board on that day when we had lots of Spam - just posting anything on a thread will bump it up to the top, and it's better that a thread about birds nests is at the top rather than one about Kitchens4U or whatever image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Aha, I see, but there haven't been any Kitchen ads for a few days now, I think they've got that under control.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Yes, but if you look at the date of Pash's Bump posting it was on the 8th May image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.