Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New Dralek

Morning all from very windy,wet, Mundesley Norfolk, Now iv got a space for my inherited Darlek,its a soil base so should be good, now has anyone any tried and tested ways off starting them off please.image

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

Alan what is a dralek???tried googling and just kept asking did I mean dalek!!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Alan's been here a year now - he's picked up a Noooooooooooorfolk accent! image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hi Alan, I started my 4th off last week. Standing on soil, thankfully I put some bricks around the edges to give stability until it gets more stuff in as it's in a windy place.

I forked the soil base and put some half rotted compost from another dalek in the bottom ( worms included image  ) added kitchen green waste and plants leaves and soft cuttings & cardboard in layers, then added some activator. Sometimes I get the stuff that neighbour has cleaned out from their G pigs, but non on offer image so used activator.  I'll keep doing this along with some grass cuttings, but not too many of those.

Artjak is our master composter so I'm sure she'll add to what I've said image 

Dove & BM image

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Beaus my question said Darlek not Dralek lost me on that miduk

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH iv just spotted the Dralek Beau Guilty miduk the mans an idiot

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Alan, look at the title of your thread! image Maybe you've been the victim of some strange sort of auto-correct gone wrong image

Hope your hatches are well battened down and you're not getting blown off that Mundesley cliff!

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Beat u 2it Dove by one minute !! weather report as follows,iv got 8 foot pampas grass 3 lots,all tied up together swaying away doing there best to escape towards the sea,iv got 10 foot bamboo canes tied twice to the fence also shaking like goodens,gusting winds and i mean gusting have nicked all my mini plastic plantpots from the top of my fig tree supports,its  doing its best to nick my greenhouse and im not joking but the worst was as i came back from tieing up the cains the back door,, door handle snapped as i tried to hold it from blowing closed image,and then as i tried to unscrew the handle the screw heads were shot,have you ever tried to hold a door open and drill out the old screws then change the entire locking system ,in this weather, i kid u not, Kate took one look and said i,ll put the kettle on, apart from that were all good erein Mundsimageimage

Oh dear Alan, hope you've got the door shut.

I forgot to say I've also added some compost to dalek from annual plant pots that I know don't have vine weevil or nasties in them.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Add a good shovel of horse manure, that'll get it goingimage Hope you are surviving the gales.