Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New GW...??

a one hour GW this Friday.image

from the little I heard it will tick a lot of boxes 

one hour?   We all wanted that.

guest presenters incl plantsmen and growers......perfect for me.

I will look forward to it.  At least, it seems, the powers that be are taking notice of us image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

I can't WAIT image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/30/bbc-hopes-great-british-bake-off-magic-rubs-off-on-gardeners-wor/

I read this on the TELEGRAPH's website. I just thought that the programme that I have grew-up with (since Percy's days) was heading for one-hour just for the rest of the 2016 "run". But, no.

Personally, as a GBO viewer, I don't think that one-hour for GFW is ideal and that was evident in 2009 with ONE ACRE (?) in Birmingham and dearest Toby. I think the problem with GW is that 'they' do a gardening job and never revisited (with a reminder flash-back) - unlike the sturdy BEECHGROVE (excellent BTW) - the result. Gardening is linear and I think (some) most times this is lost in the Editing of GW. As is the 'close-up' camerawork of "doing stuff"; not clear and I don't want to see a grunting Monty digging in his compost bins as I want to see the compost itself.

As for the New presenters; Tophill is better suited to a kids show like BLUE PETER. I think I might start recording the show and fast forward through her bits. Klein presents there usual fayre of "cornucopia of sweet shop colours" which has become staid over the years. Time to retire, sweetheart, back to Devon. As for Adam? High hopes but just needs to ditch the woollies and slip into a nice Ralph Lauren Polo.

Monty. Glad that you are looking fitter and healthier than ever after that scare a few years back. But less cooking/food preparation. It's gardening on BBC 2 not a food show. Can we follow projects through from start to finish on a MONTHLY basis? More seed sowing and cuttings and less, yes, sadly, canine adventures (looks idyllic but a bit trite now).

I hope that GW remains at 20:30 every Friday but returns to it 30-minutes after the is 2016 experiment. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884
    mr swann says:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/30/bbc-hopes-great-british-bake-off-magic-rubs-off-on-gardeners-wor/

Personally, as a GBO viewer, I don't think that one-hour for GFW is ideal and that was years back.See original post

Forgive my ignorance (and I'm probably going to say 'Of course! when I find out) but what is GFW?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091

Sigh

It'll be fine if they keep the core of the programme reasonably focused. What worries me about BBC aiming to widen its audience is you end up like Countryfile, which I used to love when it was a farming and rural affairs news programme and now can't be bothered to watch with its Blue Peter 'lets go and have a look at the fluffy little baa-lambs, shall we children'? strategy.I know lots of people love it as it is and I really don't mind the programme existing, I just wish they'd made a new Sunday night 'light' programme and left the original 'niche' viewing one where it was.

I will feel the same way about GW if they start dumbing it right down to a 'look at the lovely flowers' programme without any 'this is how you do it' element. I know really proficient gardeners probably don't bother watching GW, but I think there are quite a lot of people like me - not a complete novice but still very low down the learning curve - watching GW for ideas of what mature plants look like, where they are growing, what the botanical names are. 

Don't get me wrong, I like Nigel and I like that there is one 'real' human/dog relationship on TV (Rick Stein's Chalky having long gone, sadly), but that's not why I watch the programme.

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318

As you all say "Let's wait and see" it could be an improvement, it must be awkward to satisfy everyone and change is always difficult to deal with. I have appreciated the fact that it mostly stays in one garden so that you can see what happens over the seasons although I would welcome more bugs and pests advice, made me feel a lot better when Monty's GH tomatoes got blight, knew what to look for with mine.

A short slot at the end for 'what to do with what you grow' might be useful as well, my Dad grew sweetcorn which was fed to the chickens as my Mum didn't know what else to do with it! I have the same problem with many veg grown today and have looked them up but would rather see a 'trusted' person than browse UTube. Loved the Raymond Blanc through the seasons programme.

There should be a programme for experienced gardeners but not GW, I imagine most viewers are more like me, only thing keeps me going image

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Herbaceous, Monty's tomatoes didn't get blight, it was last year's outdoor one's. But I'm going to wait and see about Friday's programme.As Mr Sean says they have done it before,but I hope it will be better.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

Just read the article (thanks for the link mr swann). Will be interesting to see how the new look programme all fits together.

This new fella Proto aiming to replicate the success of bake off and bring in younger viewers, 40's doesn't fall into the gardeners world demographic image, really. 

Looking forward to Flo's city gardening, I'm one of those "gardening on a different scale". Glad to see Carol's still there, she knows her stuff. No mention of 'Sheridan' though, has he been dropped?

If the beeb wanted a bake off style gardening show, why did they scrap allotment challenge?

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318

Hey Logan, I'm going back a few years! I got back into gardening after a long break and with a complete lack of confidence, still not confident but encouraged by stuff growing! Looking forward to seeing how they get on.

I'm with you Kitty, I quite liked the allotment challenge, very entertaining.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

allotment challenge, for me was not enough gardening too much competition. 

Flower adorned candleabrum anyone? Does any allotmenteer really mind if he chutney/ relish is a bit runny?

Fingers crossed for the new GW.

I do think Toby was dealt a duff hand when he was at the helm.He's a hugely knowledgeable plantsman. I'm sure he didn't want to "throw baby out with the bath water".

Devon.