London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
21 to 40 of 53 messages
22/01/2014 at 11:21
Ayup Wendy miduck im doing a couple of pot Blueberries this year and a small potted up fig nice eating nice looking good luck Alan4711
22/01/2014 at 12:42

Thank you all for saying hello and its great to know there are other new ones on this forum, I have quite a well-established balcony but its the new planters (FORECOURT) i need to know more about as never had a garden for years. So i am lucky it may be 2 degree warmer as Inner London great news. 

I live near London Bridge and Borough market

I have always wanted a honeysuckle, some i have hard wood cutting in doors i am hoping they root. I then hope to transfer into the planters downstairs when they take, hopefully, if not will buy a honeysuckle or 2 

I have lost of violas pansies and bulbs if snowdrops and crochus coming up on my balcony and small daffs.

22/01/2014 at 14:45
Hi Wendy,
The honeysuckles will need something to cling to as they grow so I hope your large planters are near a wall or trellis. I use euonymous, grasses and heuchera in planters as they give year round colour and are happy in sun or shade. They make a good background to summer annuals too. Last year I grew chrysanthemum Snowland in a container for a mini-meadow look; they are almost maintenance free apart from a bit of dead heading now and again. If you are growing a climber like honeysuckle you could chuck in a clematis for company.
23/01/2014 at 12:37

Hi yes there are railing at the back of the big planters so would be good for climbers, i don't know much about clematis. Let me see if i can post the planters i have been caring for, they were put in about 4 years ago and have had no care whatsoever, so took a time to get both sorted out and had to cut down the ornamental grass it was so messy out so out of control.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36386.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

23/01/2014 at 12:39

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36387.jpg?width=521&height=350&mode=max

this is the side corner where i would like to get a Mahonia Aquifolim as children in summer time to try to climb from planter to bike shed on right, so hoping this plant may deter them a little so spiky.

23/01/2014 at 13:07

Hi Wendy pleased to meet you.

23/01/2014 at 13:58

Welcome Wendy, any climbers you put there would benefit from you enriching the earth; (chicken manure pellets/ fish, blood and bone meal/ well rotted manure) as the soil looks a bit neglected. Also initially, at least, you will have to tie the climbers on as you don't have many horizontal pieces. Have you considered a climbing rose like Compassion also to keep out unwanted guests?

23/01/2014 at 16:17
Another option is one of the berberis family. There are plenty to chose from and many are evergreen with yellow or orange flowers. The RHS plant selector is a good place to look.
23/01/2014 at 22:39

How tall are the planters? Shrubs, roses, clematis and honeysuckles need quite tall ones. Should be around 50cm tall for roses. Roses and clematis are quite greedy and will need regular feeding and watering. Also the top layer of compost for planting anything in pots should be changed every year.

23/01/2014 at 22:47

I also would grow a berberis there....Darwinii.  Evergreen, easily pruned, spikey, and lovely orange flowers in spring.  A bonus of blue berries too.  A much better plant there than mahonia

23/01/2014 at 23:18
Hi Wendy, i have grown lots of plants in pots as my garden is not huge. I find its possible to grow almost anything in pots and its much easier to change them occasionally.
How about a Pyracantha for that corner, they are pretty tolerant of town pollution and fairly drought resistant...if i sound like i know what i'm on about don't be fooled, its just that i put one in last year...lol.
23/01/2014 at 23:19
Oh yes, they are spikey as well Wendy...so wear thick gloves if you decide on one.
23/01/2014 at 23:49

Hmmmmm....but pyracantha is so VICIOUS.  Those sharp long barbs.  Got rid of mine.  One of those near your eyes...a child's eye.....is bad news.  You can have prickly but pyracantha is dangerous

25/01/2014 at 12:29

No sounds great to me, it would just stop them getting on the bike sheds as seriously they could kill their self  when they then get on garages, but of course are cheeky and wont listen, only happens in summer  though usually when all bored, if it deters them getting on the edge it would be good.

The soil in the pic had not been really sorted then, as i had only just cut down ornamental grass, but will be getting some compost to add to the planters soon.

Oh Darwini i will look at too as gone off mohania now

Sides of planters in picture are at least 2  ft high, so would be fine im sure Busy lizzie

Thank you for tip of feeding if i do plant

KEF
25/01/2014 at 13:24

Wendy as well as growing some climbing plants, have a look at Ilex ( Holly) which might act as a deterrent when it grows. Golden King female is nice, not too many spines and lovely red / orange berries.

25/01/2014 at 13:26

Na then Wendy try a few strawberry plants.Put a tumbler plant in a hanging basket you will be delighted wth the results.Best O luck wi yer new venture.Brian.

25/01/2014 at 14:09

Gosh, planters are bigger than they look in the photos.

26/01/2014 at 14:02

Thanks all will take a look at Llex Holly too.

Brian i will be making another post on baskets soon for my balcony, but i have to wait a bit as i get very impatient.

It will be great to show you all the large planters too when they are finished at least they will make everywhere look nice, as they were getting to look like a jungle.

26/01/2014 at 15:42

Hiya wendy

Makes sense to get all your baskets, posts and supports ready for planting out in a few weeks' time.......not until May at the earliest in most places.  However, this is the time to think and plan for your perfect displays 

I think you may well like the holly.......it's one  of my favourite evergreen shrubs. 

26/01/2014 at 17:49

I only pointed out what Wendy could put in small space out of the way hung up.She does,nt have to do it like now.

21 to 40 of 53 messages