London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
41 to 53 of 53 messages
26/01/2014 at 18:08

It's a good time of year for talking about it Brian. Soon be spring I tell myself several times a day

28/01/2014 at 16:35

I think i need to know more about the soil, as i am intending too add more compost and dig  in, then if im planting any bushes should i use bone meal, as I don't really want to spend too much as this is a public space.

I went on a site yesterday looking how much delivery was on bushes and was told i would need to buy about 5 different things just to plant a bush, now i have  no idea really but it did seem rather a lot of things for one bush so my question is, Is bone mean good enough under a bush? Im in th middle of London with not many garden centres near.

28/01/2014 at 17:57

Wendy bone meal,takes about 3 months before,it's usable for,plants.  So applied now it would be "ready" in April.  It's not something I use preferring fish blood amd bone. You could use chicken pellets or dig in dried manure.

29/01/2014 at 09:19

I dont understand 3 months, what do you mean, the packet stuff from B&Q im talking about?

29/01/2014 at 11:06

Bone meal is a slow release fertiliser which needs to break down in the soil before the plants can use it, the finer it is ground up the quicker it is ready for the plants. If you buy it with fish and blood in it they will act first before the bone meal is ready so it is a long acting organic fertiliser.

29/01/2014 at 12:43

Oh thanks for explaining

So if i buy chicken pellets this is better? i just have no idea

I need to get the soil sorted before i do anything, so any suggestions would be good.

29/01/2014 at 14:07

I often use organic chicken manure pellets, if I was creating a new bed I would dig them into the top few inches about a week or so before planting. I have never bothered to read the instructions though; they may say something different. Always follow the guide lines on quantity per sq. metre.

I did once have problems with either a fox or a dog digging up earth where I had just sprinkled the pellets on and had not bothered to dig them in.

29/01/2014 at 16:00

OK thanks Artjak

29/01/2014 at 16:06
Pelleted chicken manure is easy to use......you can just chuck it over the soil in the amounts recommended on the packaging. As you are just using it for tubs you will not need to buy much; it can be a bit pongy if you have to store it indoors so you don't want half a box of the stuff under the stairs. I use a little on my tubs at the beginning of the year then use a liquid feed at other times. Plants in tubs need feeding regularly because they cannot send their roots out into the wider world in search of nutrients.
29/01/2014 at 17:12

Welcome Wendy - next time I am in Town, meeting friends at Hays Galleria, I must pop by and see what you have achieved! Good luck in your efforts.

30/01/2014 at 15:01

You must indeed Pentillie are you in london

This soil is for the big planters i have took over, have now just purchased some J. Arthur Bower's Growmore Plant Food / Compound General Garden Fertiliser | 3KG to add to new compost

Hopefully this will work and then i will start to plant  a few evergreens.

Thanks all

07/02/2014 at 15:46

Soil now sorted with compost and above Grow more pellets

Ordered 2 pyrcanthas and i honesuckle i just could not resist the honey suckle but i was assured ok to plant now, weather ok here.

07/02/2014 at 15:50

They'll be gorgeous Wendy - and good for wildlife 

email image
41 to 53 of 53 messages