London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
11 messages
04/06/2013 at 14:27

Hi all I'm new to the forum, couldn't see anywhere to do introductions so created this thread. (hope the moderators don't mind)

So Hi again I'm Denise aka Rodgy-dodge, I live in the North east of england where I think we're about 4 weeks behind in the gardening season than anywhere else in the uk, this week however we've had quite a splendid 3 days of good sunny weather lets hope it lasts. I'd just like to say also that Having watched Gardeners World on TV since the 80's I don't think half an hour each Friday is enough! Pleeaase can we have it back on for an hour?

04/06/2013 at 16:15

Hello, welcome to the forum, hope you find some good information and friendly people here - we are all people who love to garden and talk about it, and enjoy sharing things with each other. 

You are in a more difficult place to garden than some, but there are things you can grow that others can't - I believe that meconopsis do well in your part of the world, or is that more to the west?  We are all 4 weeks behind this year because of the late spring, so I guess you are still in late spring?  Do you still have tulips out?  It was interesting a month or so back that things which rarely flower together were doing so as the early ones were late and catching up and the on time ones were coming through with them.

I have only just got to filling my hanging baskets which are usually done a month before this as it has been so cold and dark.  We are haing a few good warm bright days too - long may it last.

Veggies are beginning to catch up a bit, but many are still a good way behind themselves - still, nature usually gets it right in the end, so hopefully will do so this year too. 

04/06/2013 at 16:55

Welcome Rodgy-dodge

04/06/2013 at 17:11

Welcome to the forums-  yes 4 weeks late here too ,lets hope for an Indian summer!

04/06/2013 at 17:14

welcome to the forum rodgy-dodge

summer is everywhere now hopefully for us all to enjoy our gardens

04/06/2013 at 20:27

Thanks for the welcome guys, My tulips have just gone over, some never surfaced at all but I put that down to the amount of rain last year I think they may have turned to mush in the ground . I too have only just sorted my hanging baskets but they are coming on a treat. look forward to learning lots and hopefully sharing lots too.

04/06/2013 at 20:46

hiya rodgy

dont fret about the tulips.  they mostly disappear after one season anyway...best bought for each year

loads of colour to come from those baskets then....the summer feelgood factor is here now i think

KEF
04/06/2013 at 20:49

Welcome RD.

05/06/2013 at 18:53

Welcome Rodgy-dodge. This forum is great. Someone can usually answer questions the rest of us have. There are also threads which have little to do with gardening but great to get to know each other

05/06/2013 at 19:57

Hi Rodgy-Dodge----Welcome

NE England = Gods country. I stand in my garden and tell by the sound the sea state, turn north west and see the Cheviots. Any one south of Gateshead is a cockney

Well behind the rest of the country this year. I picked a good year to start this game

06/06/2013 at 09:30

ha haa 'Apples and Pears', 'Apples and Pears'...thats the only cockney language I know  I'm south of Gateshead - Teesside.

Thanks for the welcome peeps

email image
11 messages