Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Not a gardening question but..........

I've to choose another tablet, I've always had a kindle  but looking for a change now.thing is I don't know where to start. I've been advised to steer clear of Apple as they are always wanting to charge for facilities that others don't. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Birthday pressy Granma? image

Devon.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I love my iPad, daughter has had hers for years, dad had the original one and OH is still using it.

unless you want to play War Craft or other similar games, I can't see what you could pay for. I have Kindle on it, all your books will automatically be transferred, I have paid for books from Amazon, if I can't find a free one I fancy.

very easy to set up, no problems at all, easy for taking photos and putting them on the site, far easier than a laptop. Go for it, you'll like it.

Amazon may be doing a deal money off or something, and they are marvelous if something should go wrong, they will send a pre paid lane for return with no questions asked. You can't lose.

its extremely quick connecting to the Internet, much quicker than my Samsung was.

the only problem is that this site is not very iPad friendly, (yet) so you can't change your avatar photo, or use the smileys on the keyboard.

i can read any documents, I have an office app and can print off documents, send business letters,  or print off pictures very easily, from the arm chair actually as I have a wifi printer. Gosh we are getting lazy.image

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Ive never had any problems with Apple. The laptop I'm using is ten years old, and apart from increasing memory which we have paid for, I can't think of anything that Apple keep wanting you to pay extra for. I find Apple products much more user friendly and intuitive.

• Sophie17Sophie17 Posts: 342
    I've had a Samsung tablet and a windows based tablet in the past. I now have an iPad Air 2. In my opinion my iPad is far superior to anything I've ever had before. Whatever you get my advice would be to list what you need it for....emails? Internet? Games? Music? Different tablets do some things better than others. I do a bit of everything on mine and I find it a great all rounder.
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Another devotee of the iPad here.  My son bought it for me 15 months ago and I soon got used to it and find the laptop (not an Apple) rather clumsy now.  

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Unless you have a Kindle Fire, a Kindle is just for reading a book whereas a tablet lets you do emails, internet browsing, games etc. As well as the Kindle app. Is this what you want/need? I am a very happy iPad user and just bought an iPhone so an Apple convert. Pricey but worth it I reckon. But I don't read a  book on the ipad - it is too big to hold in bed so still use my kindle to read.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Posts: 652

Yes I am a iPad fan too don't use my laptop now find the iPad so quick and easy does everything you want downloads photoes from my camera memory cards in seconds cannot fault printer set up easy

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

How do you download photos from your camera memory cards? I have never been able to figure that one out!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Posts: 652

hogweed 

have to purchase a lightning to SD card camera reader just an adapter push the card in and other end to iPad downloads instantly think I got mine on Amazon ,I think they do different versions for other cards

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Granma, I bought an Apple Air last year and do most things on it though I do have a laptop too. For Chistmas a present was a Prop n go, an adjustable pad to rest it on to read my books. For my birthday a Boss blue tooth speaker so i hear all my music plus some of the masses of music on U tube. Daughter got me a Lightning SDCamera reader which puts all my photo's on the I pad. What is not to like? Oh and earphones plug in when i want to listen to something in peace. This was printed on the keyboard with a probe though the laptop keyboard is used for the writings the History board I am on.

If I do buy a new laptop it will be Apple.

Frank