London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
18 messages
26/03/2013 at 19:05

Have you seen the free offer in the mail for 24 begonias and 10 packets of seeds for postage only ive ordered mine 

26/03/2013 at 19:58

So have I, joyce. It'll be interesting to see what quality of begonias arrive.

28/03/2013 at 08:47

Good luck.........the offer suppliers are T&M !!

28/03/2013 at 08:59

Usually are, JNKP,  and I agree, a certain amount of luck is required.  There's an offer of 3 different miniature buddleias in Yours mag. That's T and M too. They are 5 cm plants, claimed to be worth 29.97 each!!!!!   You just have to weigh up each offer and see of it is worth the postage, in this case £5.60. Buddleias grow fast, so I will prob get some, since you have to have an original one before you can take cuttings yourself.

Lyn
28/03/2013 at 15:14
Ask around GG or put your request on the seed swap, buddleias grow wild , they seed themselves everywhere, I am sure someone can supply some bigger plants than 2inches for less than 5.60
28/03/2013 at 16:23

OMG......GG, I wouldn't pay tuppence for them. As Lyn says, they grow wild and I have plants (larger than 2") which you are welcome to.I have 4 colours and you can keep them small by pruning them , which makes them bushy and you get more flowers for the birds and bees. If you live in Surrey, give us a shout.

28/03/2013 at 18:39

T&M are cheap, but their packaging is not so good. They send their plants thru royal mail as such the plants are not handled with care. i got some plug plants of mixed perennials today, some of them had no soil at all on the roots due to mishandling and there was no labeling of any kind. i am waiting for the plugs to get a bit bigger so i can take photos and ask for some help to identify the plants.

28/03/2013 at 19:08
Many companies are offering free or cheap plugs, roots etc. usually, they are dumping them. I think.
Best to buy what plants you actually WANT.
Or, buy a single plant in a 1 litre size or bigger and split it.
I really do think it's cost effective in the long run to buy decent plants....size and variety you desire....for your garden rather than yielding to, apparently, fantastic offers of plants that are inferior or simply may not grow at all. One good, healthy attractive plant growing well looks better than a bunch of plants bought just to,fill up space
28/03/2013 at 21:40

Sounds a good offer but with all the seeds I've sown this year and plants over wintered there wouldn't be room for 24 begonias.

I'd be inclined to purchase one or two good sized plants.  

28/03/2013 at 21:52

Whilst I can understand that there are some doubts about mail order plants. I have recently recieved 90 plants from T&M and every one was packaged really well and in good condition when they arrived. All healthy with good roots. I still have some more to come but considering I didnt pay a penny for the plants I can't complain. I have to agree that some of thier plants are overpriced (like the buddleija GG mentioned). But they are selling 9 jumbo plugs for £29.99. http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-plants/perennial-and-biennial-plants/buddleja-buzz-collection/p90090TM

28/03/2013 at 22:16

to be honest unless u are ordering something really specific why not  support ur local garden centre??

28/03/2013 at 22:23

Thanks for your kind offer, JNKY. Wish I were close enough to take you up on it.

Still think the buddleia offer is of some worth, though. I have had various buddleias and  always prune them back virtually to the ground, but they grow back to full height in one season. If I pruned them again, I would not get flowers. (I have one buddleia at present, which I grew from seed.) Nonsensical as the price claim is, these would be good in pots, I think, and I could get my money back by rooting cuttings. 

Verdun, I would love to buy only the plants I really want, but that is a luxury when you have a whole garden to stock. I have filled my garden with plants I acquired cheaply or grew from seed, with a few 'stars' that I did pay quite a lot for. I buy plants in open gardens and from garden centres when I go on holiday, so each trophy plant is full of memories and associations. When I have a better plant for a space, I pull out and discard the inferior one. This year, I want to dig up some of the lawn and enlarge the borders. I've bought some good bare roots from Hayloft but there will be plenty of spaces to fill.

28/03/2013 at 22:37
Gardening grandma, that's what I did too...still do at times.
My garden is pretty full now and I guess Im just looking for plants I really want. "memories and associations" are essential for the garden ....I have mine too.
I dug up some of my lawn last spring, just as you intend, and it was certainly worth it. Really enjoyable making a new bed so have fun
29/03/2013 at 15:43

All gardeners are plantaholics at heart and can't resist a bargain. I have so much seedlings that i need to find space for, plugs, dahlia and begonias yet  to go in; yet i cant resist the impulse bargain plant at the garden center that needs a bit of TLC. Yesterday, i went to get Jeyes already mix and came home with a fern.  I am spending more money on the garden than i spend on myself, not to mention the money spent on the birds.

29/03/2013 at 16:09

I do agree with EvergreenQueen, somewhat, I preffer going to a GC but as I don't have a car its not that easy as most of them are out in the sticks. The nearest walking distance on is over a 45 min walk each way so sometimes its a necessity. GG, When I cut back my buddleija earlier in the year it had new growth on it so I have tried to put a bit of rooting hormone onto these buds and poped them into a pot in the coldframe. That was in middle of feb and they are still green and perky so they may have rooted but wont check them for a while. Worth a try.

29/03/2013 at 17:05

Thanks, Discodave, and others who have commented. Discodave, I think you have turned out to be a discodavina, haven't you? (Sorry if I've got that wrong). Hope you succeed with your Buddleia, which do root quite easily. I visit my local garden centre much too often! As Franco says, I spend more on my garden than I do on myself. That isn't an awful lot, however, since I don't spend much on myself, being a fan of recycling.

I've just bought quite a few bare root plants fromn Hayloft, all of which are supposed to be special offers. They were advertised in various magazines but I got them from a list on their website. The roots that have come so far are large and healthy-looking, as far as one can tell with dormant roots.

29/03/2013 at 17:06

P.S. I haven't tried the seed swap thread. Perhaps I'd better have a look.

29/03/2013 at 21:36

My hanging baskets needs lots of plants to fill them up so I thought the begonia offer was good if they arrive like my  trailing geraniums did from spalding I will be pleased 

email image
18 messages