Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

One for the ladies...

Maybe not just the ladies..maybe the laddies too?

Do you use any of your herbs or plants for personal uses? I dont mean smoke them image  lol, I mean as in health benefits, beauty regimes or medicinal purposes? image 

I like to think that alot of my own plants are used in my life but was wondering if there was anyone else that did the same?

• blackestblackest Posts: 623

um dock leaves for nettle stings, um i read somewhere parsley is a powerful aphrodisiac. I'ce seen big fields of opium poppies grown in lincolnshire by the showground for medicinal purposes. 

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172

I did try a blackcurrant sage leaves in a hot water - tea but it taste horrible so not again lavender is good smell plant to have in the garden

Hampshire Gardener
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

We make an infusion of lemon balm for a lovely relaxing drink, and I have used various infusions to rinse my hair - sometimes rosemary, sometimes mint, sometimes sage - depending on how much there is.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

•  I don't, but the whole art is fascinating and I have bought a book about this which I hope to use. My gardening skills, which were very dodgy when i retired (and then had 3 years of relative ill-health) are now improving enough for me to know how to grow things better and I'd love to develop my knowledge of herbs. This thread could be very useful!

• I used rosemary forr a hair rinse...rue to keep rats away, lavander in cookies, honeysuckle is good in a bath to get that deep chill out your bones, sage for sore throats, rosewater for skin, elder for wine both flowers and berries, mugwort for bad dreams (its like a dreamcatcher) and hoping to make wine from lemonbalm this year too.
  • Oh, and if you have a burn, crush up some lavander leaves and flowers...mix with a little honey and apply under a bandage. Leave over night and it will minimise or even stop scarring and will reduce heat and inflamation
  • Mum swore buy Comfery for brusies strains sprains & brakes, it seemed to work she used to call it nipbone.

Peppermint tea for a dicky tummy

Ginger for digestion

I've been doing a bit of research on a similar thread, we're revamping at the moment so I'd like a useful garden as well as a pretty one!

I found a site the other day, (link below) and it's a site built up on peoples knowledge from around the country, there's quite often clues from the folk names

There are a few other sites but it depends on how deeply you want to get into it, if you would like I've a few other sites that might be helpful.

The one thing they all say is don't ignore your doctor!

http://www.plant-lore.com/

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172

You can add bits of herbs to oil too - in jars or bottles

Hampshire Gardener
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

I live off my garden mostly.  Lots of veg and fruit keep me healthy as well as the exercise and fresh air.  We have a Chinese Herbal garden at the Bristol Botanic Garden as well as a Western Herb Garden .  There are myriads of uses for the herbs that many people use.  My favourites are mint and Lemon balm tisane in the evening when you are overtired - too tired to sleep.  Knocks me out.  Lavender in my bath will do the same.  i tie a bunch of the flowers to the tap and the water washes the goodness into my bath.  Rosemary will do the opposite in the morning and wake me up.  But running my hands through herbs growing in the garden will always perk me up.  I could not be without herbs in my cooking, not just for flavour but for digestion.  Rosemary in lamb, sage in pork and onion dishes. basil in pasta. parsley in soup, are all good for your stomach.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Borage - delicious in a Pimms on a warm sunny night, picked and popped into the glass straight away (when we used to have warm summer nights)

Also cammomile tea - lovely with honey when I can't sleep during the night, Really relaxing