Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

peas

Hi all again ,right i read on one question that Zoomer44 talking about where everyone got their seeds said she does her own ,now does this mean that we can save some of the best peas we grow to use the next year, i did this with 3 red spuds i bought for jacket but forgot they were there ,they were really big croppers and tasted great ,now i know you cant do this normally and was only a one off, but iv had some fantastic peas this year and wondered if i can save some each year as i grow LOTS we love em, can i Yae or Nae just stopped raining and its looking good Be lucky Alan

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's what most people did for years and years and years Alan. Many still do

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657
    Now that's really interesting on a serious note do you think one should save the biggest or the sweetest sized pea as the smaller ones are nearly always sweete,

maybe zomer44 might give me some guidance, we had lots of mice so dipping in Paraffin seemed to work that's what most granddads used to do i remember,right cheers all Alan

Go for the ones you like best Alan. It's in the genes. If you've got hybrids of any sort they may not be exactly the same but some of the varieties are pretty stable. 

this is good stuff now another daft one how do i know a stable sort, any advise Nut

cus im definitely going to try this

Alan

All those old varieties that have been in the traditional vegseed catalogues for years. Not an F1 hybrid. I haven't done this for years Alan and I'm sure there'll be someone who can remember the names.

Nice one Nut this is all wot this sites all about I appreciate this, it all adds to the excitement of growing and trying something new . Alan
    Farmer thats a good download nice one mate cheers all Alan4711

that's a lovely site Fg

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Thanks Farmer, have bookmarket the site, very interesting!image