Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

pets and why they are called what they are called

I ahev 3 cats a British Blue  who was given to me as he has a curly tail so couldnt have a pedigree. Hes called Grendle after the monster in Beowolf as he is a monster. What he lacks in brains he makes up in brawn. just a thu g really.

My other 2 cats are a brother and sister, Lennie and Elvera. She is a tortoiseshell named after the naughty ghost in Blithe Spirit because she can be naughty. Lennie is a ginger tom who is frightened of his own shadow, a real wimp.

I love them all but i dont like the remains of mice left for me.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

We had Jason-he was a budgie named after Jason King

Rosie-a dog- after Rosie And Jim-kids named her

Kelly-another dog -but can't remember why

Kally-another dog -just a spin on Kelly

Cody-current dog -just because we liked the name

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

We have three cats as well, all about 2 years old and from the same litter although one came to us about a year later than the others as it was decided that a cat living in a flat wasn't a good idea. image

The two girls are called Cleo and Dora, Cleo because she wants to be at the centre of everything and is a typical queeny cat, Dora because when we first got her she wanted to explore everywhere. The third cat is a chap and came already with a name, Buster, he's a big brute and is incredibly clumsy but the most gentle of them all.

We have tropical fish too but far too many to name, and they all look too similar.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I have Oscar, a lovely cross between border collie and springer spaniel. He is quite mad. See Forkers post. he was a rescue, came with a rediculous name so we sat down and shouted names at him till he responded 

2 cats neither of which i have by choice - white with bit of black and was daughters, when she left home, left cat

Then Sophie, fluffy, one eyed, black and white who was my ma's and so had to be adopted. Not a pleasant cat!!!

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

I have been reliably informed that you should call pets by a two syllable names- although they can't speak English they do respond to sound and two syllable words have a certain tone and rhythm to them

Originally Cody was called Blake until we adopted him.

• We have two cats Tom and Tigga both black and both 11 years old (not from the same litter though). Tom's large and chunky and tigga is the opposite, thin and small but since he was diagnosed with a Thyroid problem he has put a bit of weight on.  Tom is as good as gold but Tigga has what seems like an extra long tail and has a tendency to knock everything off or over with it.

• wrighttwrightt Posts: 234

My dog is called Candy because we thought she was so sweet.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

My old Border Collie (who died when she was 16) was Cassie because she was very black and cassis is blackcurrant in French. We live in France. My current Border Collie is Tigger, because he was very bouncy when he was young, like Tigger in Pooh Bear (except he's a dog, not in the cat family). My cat was Atom because I was told he was a girl when he was given to me, but he wasn't, he was a tom.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Hallo to you all from a Swiss Kiwi. We have 2 cats at the moment, both from animal shelters. Peggy is a calico cat with blue eyes. She goes X-eyed when begging for a treat, the vet thought she might have some siamese ancestors. She is also a great mouser, brings home at least 4 mice per week (we live next to a field), mostly dead as a present but some get away and have to be chased round the house! The other is  and is a castrated tabby with white called Minou, very much like Larry of Downing St. He's a real softy and lets himself be bossed around by Madam.

• I have a mad "rescue" collie and he keeps me fit.I did Have a lovely cat called George but alas a person in a 4 x4 not only ran him over (did not stop) as my husband was picking him up  but she came back again to run him over (I can not repeat what my husband said)since then I have not had another cat,sadly.so I envy you that do.