Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

phantom gardener

Has anyone else ever had plants turn up planted in their garden that they were thinking of getting? 

Was thinking of growing some comfrey,  it appears. 

Thinking of planting a clematis in my hedge, there it appears pretty much right where I wanted it.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Better have a word with Fairygirl. It sounds like she's been waving her wand again

• XX Posts: 707

Haha, no, but do you think if i wish for things they might magically appear! image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I've had plants turning up that I wasn't thinking of getting. Where did the vinca that's going mad come from? Acanthus mollis just appeared, but I like it. It must have been planted here a long time ago because the garden was a farmyard once. It wasn't here at first. Also Phlomis just turned up. Quite a big clump now.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841

Well I never though about getting a Chinese quince (Chaenomoles cathayensis) but it arrived anyway! Much taller than the more common Chaenomeles japonica.  Lethal thorns on it so I need to tie it back from the path or it will do major damage to any passing human. The fruit makes lovely quince type jelly and cheese though image.

• Emma1978Emma1978 Posts: 201

lol verdun, sneaking quietly in the darkness, planting random stuff in folks gardens by torch-light.........Verdun, stealth like ninja lol

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Bit worried about the 666 after your name Millersimage

I dream of a money tree,nothing yet.image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I never had you down for a geurilla gardener, verdon

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Gilly image

Nowt to do with me I'm afraid fidget - if I was that good I'd have my whole garden done by now image

Steephill -  you can send that jaggy quince to me- I have just the place for it.....several in fact!

Verdun doesn't plant stuff- he just eats any fruit that's about - he's a very greedy boy....he's even been in my fridge.

or is that my children...image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • blackestblackest Posts: 623

Police station in sheffield had a few cannabis plants growing in the flower beds outside, a number of years back. who wished for them I don't know image