Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Picture Postcard Request

Hello All,

A strange request but I have volunteered (rather a bad habit of mine) to help with a group of French children learning English for a week in July. We are going to be role playing different British days out with them, a trip to the zoo, a trip to London and a day at the seaside etc. etc.  The budget doesn't actually stretch to taking them for real so we are using lots of props to create each place. 

To help with this we thought it would be nice if we could have lots of postcards sent to the children from all over the U.K. (especially London and seaside towns) but anywhere 'British' really or depicting 'British' life. 

The children are between 6  and 12 years old and at the moment just have some basic English language skills, hello/goodbye, how are you, colours numbers etc. We are hoping to extend this vocabulary during the week and we think the kids receiving postcards with simple messages on would be useful. We want to get them to try and write a reply on a French postcard and send it back but we might have to work out the logistics of that yet, it might just be a role play exercise, posting them into a red pillar box but we will see. 

So, lovely people, would any of you be prepared to send us a postcard with some simple friendly text on? Something along the lines of;

Hello my name is ....

I am xxx years old. I have (colour of eyes) and (colour of hair). I live in ..., it is very beautiful, it is a city/village etc. My favourite food is ....

It does only need to be simple, the repetition of simple similar text will be enough, the pictures will be the most important things to create interest and engagement and we can use that to prompt questions and develop vocabulary from there accordingly. 

If you can help we would be very grateful, the week is run by a French charity for families and the kids really do get a lot out of these kind of activities, I did a similar thing last year and it went really well. image

• “Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?” —Betsy Cañas Garmon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Lovely idea.  I offered to help out at Possum's primary school years ago but wasn't allowed as I don't have a teaching diploma.   Doh!  Gift horses and all that.

Anyway, I could send one from a Brit on hols in the Vendée if you like and if it would help, just to show them we go other places too.  Or one from Waterloo next week - reminder of Napoleon's 200 years anniversary?????  

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Thank you both, I have sent a PM with the details. image

• “Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?” —Betsy Cañas Garmon
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I've got a few postcards from places I've been to around the UK - I'll send you two or three.  PM me your address and I'll pop them in the post. 

It'll be an excuse to go to our new post office and get stamps ... the old one closed and the new one has opened ... in the village pub .......... I wonder if OH will volunteer to go for me image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

PM address please.

SW Scotland
  • They would be great Pansy, we are planning on ending the week with a London street party to celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday. We are hoping to get the kids to make a cardboard London bus too. image

• Think I have posted PM's to all you kind people, let me know if I have managed to miss any of you, this is going to be a fabulous project for the kids, I'll be posting lots of pictures of it all in July. image

And no, the bus won't be life size Pansy, I hope not anyway.image

I am going to the UK on Thursday myself, I'll be sending postcards home every day too. image

Thanks again, you are all very kind. image

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

Send me your address DD, I'll send a postcard. 

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

If you PM me I can pop in to Windsor in my lunch break and get some of the castle and various royal personagesimage

• Fabulous, thank you both. image