Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant Swap

I found out about this website called ://www.greenplantswap.co.uk from here many months (a year?) ago . But does anyone use it? I'm trying between the showers to use it as a log to keep details of what plants I have in the garden (you don't have to offer plants to swap / sell) as well as nosing around local gardeners to see what seems to be working in their garden (think; let someone else work out the local climate!)

I wonder if it would be possible to add a Gardeners World type group on it to help any comments fusion when offering our swaps. That would be good!

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

I think that is a site for people who don't use pseudonyms and who don't mind strangers knowing where they live. There is a certain advantage to anonymity on a forum.

Last edited: 24 July 2016 18:20:04

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

There are, as ever, security flaws. Easy to get around; it does after all not force you to be entirely honest with your name and postcode.

• IamweedyIamweedy Posts: 1,364

I have recently "posted" spare plants and cuttings etc on Freecycle Freegle or Trash nothing (or what ever that group call themselves now.)

Today an older man who has just started gardening collected a viable rhodedendron and roots of lots of the more vigourous plants which send out cuttings but are not too invasive. He was quite delighted with his haul. Some veronica, vinca, begonias I aquired as freebies. And one root of lychnis cororonaria  which is cheap as chips, very decorative  and will seed around.

They all seem to pull up fairly easily. I hate throwing plants away but can't keep them all.

In one Freecycle swap I gained two nice Bruneras.

It's worth a  try.

It has occured to me I am probably about 10 yrs older than the older guy I referred to.image

Last edited: 24 July 2016 22:48:13

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'