Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

plastic taking over the garden.

Plastic flowers are taking over the planet and I hate them.Everywhere you look are these horrid round plastic balls of green ,even pink! Tubs of plastic flowers appearing in gardens along with plastic trees,bad enough plastic grass is taking over from gravel.Where is the gardening in this,its plain lazy.Are we turning into plastic people?Gardens are vanishing at fast rate under piles of grit and gravel and now plastic .Makes the heart sad to think most people can not find the joy in real alive flowers or grass.image

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

God yes this is one of my bugbears. I went to a really nice pub once and they had plastic flowers in their hanging baskets. I was disgusted and left at once.

Who can't stick a few real flowers in their hanging baskets?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

I suppose people do it because they don't have the time or the skill to look after a garden but still want to look at something that resembles a real plant.

Personally fake flowers remind me of a graveyard. 

• Plastic is awful - there are two articles in GW this month - firstly Mondty's about the beautiful terracotta pots against cheap plastic versions and then some mention in Alan's too about wicker baskets. I hate those large plastic baskets that are now being used by so many gardeners - although I realize that they are cheap and light to carry - give me a wheelbarrow any day. Where is the joy of walking barefoot on plastic grass?

• madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543

I've had compliments on my lovely peace lily,sorry but it's fake but really does look like the real thing! image

I don't have anywhere in the house where I can keep houseplants alive,they always go yellow etc as there is not the right sort of light,my bathroom does not even have windows. image 

I do draw the line at fake plants in the garden though image.

Some artificial (not plastic) plants nowadays are so good you really do have to get up close just to see.I have even made the mistake of saying a plant was fake when it was in fact real.

In the right place they can look OK.

...........will now go and put on my tin hat and duck behind the parapet!!!!!!!!! image

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • My dear mum loved flowers - real and artificial and often bought me some plastic or silk ones too - however they mysteriously disappeared out of view only to come out of the cupboard when she was due to visit again!

• LINDA FLINDA F Posts: 162

I have artificial peony flowers in my house and they look stunningly real...they are not plastic. But I would never under any circumstances have any type of plastic horrible plants in my garden. Why anyone would even consider wasting their garden with crap like that is unbelievable. image   

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511

Wasn't there a Chelsea garden a few years ago with plastic ball things on sticks?... Worst ever Chelsea garden IMO.  

I hate the plastic ones and would never ever ever have them but I kinda like the silk ones.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

I agree that you can get some excellent imitation flowers for the home nowadays. 

I think that most of you would also agree that a cheap bunch of fake flowers stuck in a pot and left outdoors in all weathers looks very tatty and dare I say it, tacky.

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Diarmuid Gavin.