London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
3 messages
27/06/2013 at 16:58

OK, I'm quite new to flowers and plants as I have only really ever grown veg, fruit and annuals. I'm needing a little help so would really appreciate any advice or knowledge. I have bought and sown a fair amount of perennial seeds back in March. Some have done OK but some seem very slow and small. Is there a reason for this? What is the difference between a perennial plant and a biennial plant? What should I expect in their first year of growth as I have to admit, I'm starting to wonder if I am a bit rubbish with flowering plants 

KEF
27/06/2013 at 17:08

OW you're not rubbish at all.

Perennials last many years, some a lot more more years than others.

Biennials complete their life cycle in two years. Most don't flower until second year.

As you know Annuals do their bit in a year..then you have your hardy annuals, tender ones..just means when you can safely put them outside. 

27/06/2013 at 17:16

my this year's perennials from seed are small Sam. I'll take a pic of a few when it isn't raining. all too small to put in the garden. If I had nice soil and the plants wre going to be close to a water supply I might risk it. but I haven't and they're not. They've got years to mature and flower whereas annuals have got to get it all done before autumn.

email image
3 messages