1 to 20 of 21 messages
01/12/2012 at 15:54

Hiya,

I am a third year student and would be so grateful if people could fill in my dissertation survey about the age of criminal responsibility.

I just wanted to make clear that for the second page you do not need to have any knowledge of the laws, just please take a guess since it is multiple choice. After this section the survey goes on to ask what you think should be done to certain children in specific situations.

This is the link: https://www.isurvey.soton.ac.uk/6338

Thanks for your time

x

01/12/2012 at 19:17

Can you tell me why? is there the chance to win a packet of seeds or to be entered into a draw to win a greenhouse?

01/12/2012 at 20:03

and the gardening connection is?

01/12/2012 at 20:23

not a link for this site i,ll not bother

02/12/2012 at 12:10

perhaps its to with garden theft of toys,I do think we have to be careful here ,have you really got the right forum and should you be asking on line ,crime student?

02/12/2012 at 12:18

The main areas of crime that do seem to concern board members seem to be theft and vandalism. Mainly thefts from sheds, and vandalism on allotments. There have been several such incidents reported on here within the past few months. It wouldn't surprise me if some of these vandals are quite young.

02/12/2012 at 12:25

there has been  a increase in garden theft around here recently ,especially sheds with bikes,they seem to watch who has a good valuable bike and brake in.My neighbour had his bike broken into 3 times in a row,( yes he was silly to replace them so soon).but also we have thefts of pots(expensive ones) and even plants!I  never put anything of worth out the front because if it moves its gone!

02/12/2012 at 16:07

I think that for students, asking on a forum (almost any forum) is a good way to get the views of a cross section of the general public - however, I do think that the request could have been phrased better and perhaps a bit more than the perfuntory 'thanks for your time'.  

I'm sorry but I'm not inclined to take part.

03/12/2012 at 17:55

Same here. 

Please fill this in! What a way to request help

04/02/2013 at 18:08

These are rather ungracious responses. The poor kid was just asking for a bit of help and the request seems perfectly polite to me. He (or she) didn't ask to be humiliated. Sorry- don't think much of this. No, I'm not sorry.These responses are rude and unnecessary.

04/02/2013 at 18:28
Ok so not to do with gardening , just a student asking questions. What if they stopped us in the street to ask while out shopping would we ask what it had to do with shopping ....
Anyway having a niece at uni I have filled it in , my choice to do so. If you don't want to just ignore it.
04/02/2013 at 19:44

@Gardening Grandma I have a question, this thread was started 2 months ago and died a very quick death after 3 days. Where did you find it and why did you want to resuscitate it?

04/02/2013 at 20:02

just looked at the survey (how old are you and why dose it matter so much to you) surveys like this get posted in my spam folder all the time and i just delete them on the other hand i do have too argee with nutcutlet.

04/02/2013 at 21:50

Joslow, I just happened on the discussion - and you are right, I did revive it and probably was foolish to do so. I am no relation to the student, as far as I know.( I suppose it could be some second cousin twice removed.)However, I used to be a teacher and have sympathy for young students who are struggling to make their way and don't have much life experience. I guess I reacted - and then spent a couple of hours regretting it.  

05/02/2013 at 05:53

My feeling was that a third year (i.e. at least 21) law student ought by now to have better social/life skills than those demonstrated by the manner of the request, and it would do him/her no favours not to point that out.  If he/she then has a better understanding of how to approach a stranger and get them on their side, it will be a lesson well learnt.

05/02/2013 at 06:07

Dovefromabove, you were not rude and I should not have generalised. However, I can (just) remember what it was like to be 20 and a new graduate, and I'd have been mystified by your comment. He or she communicated the way most students communicate, with a 'please' and 'grateful' and a casual approach. But since my impulsive response was no better than other people's, I should probably shut up.

05/02/2013 at 07:12

I was a very mature student not so very long ago,  my daughter gradutated last year and my daughter in law has just finished  her MSc.  

I'm afraid to say that to 'communicate the way most students communicate' just will not do any more  - life is tough out here in the big wide world and good social/writing skills and an understanding of how to get the best out of people will help hugely towards success, particularly for a law student. 

05/02/2013 at 08:09

My question is still how did you find this old thread?

05/02/2013 at 09:14

I just browsed for something interesting, joslow.

Dovefromabove, your name reminds me of the Holy Spirit. This reminds me in turn of the need for generosity and it is the lack of generosity to this student that riled me. But perhaps it is now time to let this topic rest, as maybe I should have done in the first place.

05/02/2013 at 09:36

Before it goes to sleep-two points- I notice that crimstudent never popped back to comment-either thanking everybody who did fill in the survey-we don't know-or to say sorry and throw in a plea-would have been nice

And as for manners on this forum it constantly frustrates me that so many people are happy to ask a question-get free advice based on experience -but then a certain number never come back to say thank-you or tell us it worked -not a sausage

Quite often I can look back when a question appears at a posting history-there was one in the last couple of days has never said thank-you once and from the notes is one of the "older " generation

I doubt most of us would go in a shop or a restaurant and get good service would not acknowledge that-yet here it is given away.

So perhaps a little bit of manners  and politeness is needed everywhere

Finished ranting-for now

1 to 20 of 21 messages