Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

poundland

has anyone had any success with plants that poundland sell.. they sell all kimd of shrubs and mine now are flowering amazing some better then roses i purchased from the nursery well impreesed image apparantly the only reason they have these shrubs is due to mis shaping or something silly but i have had no worrys with them, just wondering what other peoples success with them have been like? and does anyone know whether its a bit late in the year to buy some more bareroot roses from there as they do look a bit ill this time of year thank you image

• Emma1978Emma1978 Posts: 201

My 11 year old bought me some summer bulbs for mothers day a few years ago. I only managed to plant them this year, and am happy to say, they're growing well image

As for the roses, you've nothing to lose by having a go......maybe a quid or two, but hey, you might be pleasantly surprised image

• cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 293

I have bought lots of bulbs from there over the years and have been impressed.bareroot plants are hit and miss but it is only a pound

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

What can you lose except a pound or two?  I bought several very inexpensive plants from Morrisons recently, very pleased with them so far, Wilco also good - just don't expect rare things and you can't really go wrong. 

• NickyBNickyB Posts: 69

Never had any issues with them. Bought a few over the years... so far, so good ! 

• chrissy59chrissy59 Posts: 4

i usually buy bedding plants from morrisons and they are usually pretty good

• Poundworld also have a very large range of plants and shrubs for just £1, you should check it out. 

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Tulips were excellent this year - and a fraction of the price from a GC.  Calla Lilies are now in bloom - a bit on the small side, but healthy, and I expect that they will bulk up over time.  Gardeners are generally pretty patient - so small and seemingly poorly shaped plants will doubtless prove their worth over a few years.  Obviously - not an instant fix or make-over!

• Rosie33Rosie33 Posts: 9

I bought asiatic lilies from pound land and also the same more expensive from garden and nursery store . I potted them up in the exact same containers and same compost mix they both in full sun . Well I was surprised the more expensive bulbs have already flowered and finished they were average might be better next years . However the pound land bulbs grew slower but they are very strong and have yet to flower but they have all grown with large flower buds at the moment I am favouring the pound land asiatic lily 2 lots  cost me £2 against £10 spent at garden store I know I will be back to pound land for bulbs 

• cypresseedcypresseed Posts: 12

Tesco have Corepsis and Shasta Daises in large pots for £4 ready to flower this season- not £land, but still a bargain!

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Rosie, it may be that your lilies are of two different types as well. I have lilies in flower from early July until the end of September, sometimes into October, depending on the weather.  So it may be that yur cheaper ones are just a naturally flowering later one  -  I agree, many bulbs bought in the cheaper shops are every bit as good as the expensive kinds - unless you want a specific new colour or type.