London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
13 messages
18/06/2013 at 14:01

I saw or heard somewhere a couple of weeks ago that all the dregs or old bits of carbonated drinks like Coke, lemonade etc could be used to water the garden as they contain lots of nutrients... am I going mad or is this true? 

X

18/06/2013 at 14:41

Well, it might not harm anything, but could certainly attract ants! Just my thoughts, if it was me wouldn't do it (except plain mineral water, use that on my houseplants occasionally).

18/06/2013 at 16:03

I hadn't realised carbonated drinks had any nutrients in them.

Agree with Swiss Sue

18/06/2013 at 18:49

I haven't had a carbonated drink for 51 years; I regard them as poisons for humans - I love my plants too much to give them this kind of thing.

KEF
18/06/2013 at 18:54

Artjak, does cider count as carbonated, if so, I'm in well poisoned. Do drink lots of water..but from tap.

18/06/2013 at 19:07

I was thinking about the 'Colas'

18/06/2013 at 19:16

My daughter was given the advice by her doctor to stir up a cola drink (to get rid of the bubbles) and drink it down to help her recover from a tummy bug. I imagine that it must have minerals in it for him to say that unless it was just for the sugar.  

18/06/2013 at 19:28

I think it must have been Gardeners World on TV or the A-Z of gardening... trying to find it now !! 

18/06/2013 at 22:37

Sprite and 7-up is recommended as being effective when suffering from Gastroenteritis (Tummy upset)  Avoid any soft drinks with caffeine in.

18/06/2013 at 22:44

It's like the rehydration sachets you get when you've had a bug I suppose. Dioralyte or something they're called I think. Vile anyway - glad I don't really suffer from tummy bugs! Someone I worked with was told by her doc to drink flat cola donkey's years ago when she had a bug.

22/06/2013 at 07:31

My neighbours, who are in their 90's now, used to put the dregs of their homemade wine on their hydrangea's. They get the biggest and most beautiful blooms every year! I tried feeding mine last year with some wine dregs and must say I think it worked. I'd had very little blooms since putting them in, after feeding them the wine dregs I had big beautiful blooms. On the other hand, it may well have been something to do with the copious amounts of rain we had last year . I haven't fed them with it this year but kept them well watered so I'm watching this space... 

22/06/2013 at 08:18

Wine and beer I can understand as they're brewed from plants. I pour beer dregs on my compost - there's never any wine left  .

Regards fizzy drinks and gastro, it provides sugar and of course the fluid. One of my GPs used to say fruit juice, though personally I'd stick to water until it's over, then revert to wine

22/06/2013 at 08:23

Artjak, our mineral water comes from natural mineral springs, so has minerals in it, which ones are printed on the label. Can also be bought without bubbles! My potted basil loves it grows like mad! I only use the last bit that won't fill a glass and has gone flat.

email image
13 messages