London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
3 messages
21/08/2013 at 08:05

Im always blowing off about quality and this morning i was in the workshop sorting todays needs out ref tools etc and i thought i'll give the big rotovator engine a turn over,

This machine is the Howard Gem rotovator,

If you've seen the good life on the tv ? it's the machine those two ride around on,

they really we're the beast of rotovators "but made to last for life".

The one i have has 3 forward & 1 reverse gear's and is a diesil engine type.

I bought it second hand over 30 years ago  from a landscape gardener who was retiring having read his offer to sell in the local paper and today again as always two turns of the handle "having tickled the fuel through" she burst into life,

Ive always gone for quality and it's always paid off even from my other hobby "classic motor cycles" to the car i drive today" quality everytime,

Its worth the waiting until you can afford such things or find them.

To me its one of the nicer sides to gardening or general DIY to have tools that do the job that you know from the minute you need to use them they'll work and work well.

Whats your take on this subject "Do you have any old faithfull's you reply on?

23/08/2013 at 20:56

A Spear and Jackson stainless steel spade that belonged to my mother. She was left-handed and we bought it in 1965 as a Christmas present for her, telling her it was a special left-handed spade. She wore one side of it away over the next thirty years. When she died I took it over and now have it as my spade. I'm right-handed and whenever I need to use it in a particular way and find that the vital edge I need is worn away I think of her. It's nearly 50 years old and will see me out.

23/08/2013 at 21:05

got dads old hoe used to have a staff made from our christmass tree . now has  a beech one cut from a hedge row bye him . and a stainless spade . when i snuff it its yours son .. cheers dad  large malt me thinks , 

email image
3 messages