London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
6 messages
16/01/2014 at 19:22

Raining here again, half the garden is under water and my beautiful huge, old Bramley apple tree fell down half crushing a Magnollia. The only good thing about all this is the ferns I ordered arrived today which all love water. The loss of the tree means I have a huge new sunny area and although it is underwater I have had the apple tree cut into long logs that I can carry and so I have used them to edge a new bed where the tree was. The trunk has been cut into about 2 ft lengths which I have started rolling into a shrub bed. They look fantastic in among the shrubs as they have beautiful rings, gnarls and holes. I hope it stops raining tomorrow as the new ferns which were intended for the garden are now going to be planted in the holes in the old trunk bits of the apple once I have finished rolling the trunk bits.

16/01/2014 at 19:28

Are you going to create a  'stumpery' with what is left? As featured on the Great British Garden Revival programmes last week.

16/01/2014 at 19:41

Was going to suggest the same Forester, then I read your quote, snap 

I really enjoyed that one, might have to go for a walk through the nearby woods to see if  i can collect some pieces of wood to make a stumpery

25/01/2014 at 18:41

I have used some of logs around the new border and the main trunk has been cut into 4 and I have placed them all in a shrub border. They all have some lovely rings and holes in them and I plan to add ferns in the holes when I do not have to  paddle to the shrub border which I still am as it is raining yet again in the SW with strong wind so may have another tree down though I do hope that I don't as most of my trees are either very old and mature or within 10yrs old if I planted them. Its a great shame that previous owner didn't plant trees. 

25/01/2014 at 18:43

I hope there'll be photos come summer wrightt

25/01/2014 at 18:43

What ferns did you get I'm in the market for some recommendations of some large ferns for the woodland garden

email image
6 messages