London (change)
Today 14°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
41 to 57 of 57 messages
19/02/2013 at 19:38

Forgot to ask are you going to grow flowers with your veg?

24/02/2013 at 13:56

So what has happened since hawk and rose?

25/02/2013 at 20:20

Hey,

Thanks for all your support nice to be on such a friendly, helpful forum for a change.

Well nothing has happened with getting our stuff back but I've been working hard over the half term holiday to get it back into some decent state, i've got our tools hanging up and used an old mini pvc green house shelving to store small tool, watering can, bottles etc on, so the inside of the shed is looking really organised right now. I've built a composter and planned my beds.

I've started to replace some bits and bobs thanks to people being lovely. We were given 4 herb plants and 6 strawberries by the local plant stall because she was so disgusted by the theft, So got half the strawberry plants we had back we have a rosemary, sage, thyme and marjoram. We found a plastic barrel washed up on the beach on sunday so we're going to use that as a water butt for now and then wait to get a proper one, when we have got ourself sorted.

My dad's kindly offered to rebuy us a coldframe. We said we'll give it till mid march if we hear nothing he'll replace it then.

We're going to get some pots on this payday, and I'm looking out for bargains on the pots.

To cheer myself up I brought some fruit trees, an apple, a pear, a plum and a cherry. We got 4 free 30 litre pots, so we're going to grow them in the pots so if we get a house with a nice big garden we can grow them on there at some point, Total came to £29.99p plus free p&p.

Got some vouchers so I'm going to by a walking pvc mini greenhouse and I'm looking out for cheap strawberry planters.

So hopefully with a little more hard work and tlc we should get there with the allotment.

gardengirl.. I am growing flowers with my vegs, growing sunflowers, sweet peas, cosmos, alsorts really, mostly flowers that I can cut. I want to grow a climber over the front of the shed, something that smells like honeysuckle or jasmine. But not sure at the moment.

25/02/2013 at 20:25

So glad you are rebuilding your allotment and regaining hope. Do you now know who took the things?

25/02/2013 at 20:28

Great to have an update and hear that you are feeling positive and getting things done!

25/02/2013 at 20:30

Well done hawk and rose for remaining optimistic and starting again .  I'm sure your allotment will give you great pleasure and this will make up for your bad start.  Let us know how things are progressing - we're all "rooting" for you .

25/02/2013 at 20:35

I am pleased you are beginning to get sorted out and are in a more positive frame of mind. Hopefully you will have no more problems. keep growing, it is a us posted won't you

25/02/2013 at 20:52

Pleased to hear things are somewhat sorted. Look on the seed swap and see if I have any flower seeds you would like.

25/02/2013 at 20:54
Great to here you are getting things under way again
25/02/2013 at 23:16

Aldi are a great source of garden stuff, they had fruit trees in last week @ 3.99 each, were a few left, bramley & cox's orange pippin, apricot, cherry & raspberry canes (canes were £3.99 for 3).  Raised bed kits @7.99, 3 and 4 tier PVC greenhouses about £20ish each, seeds 39p each (most veg were sold out, but lots of flowers left).

Ebay are good for pots together with shuttle trays (don't make the mistake I did & get round pots, if you get the square ones you can get 3 trays in a smallish cold frame rather than just 2).  The shuttle trays are great for moving things en masse so you're not to-ing and fro-ing (I have ME/CFS so that's important for me!)

Don't forget if you shop at Tesco you can swop clubcard points for gardening stuff, I recently swopped £5 for a £15 T&M voucher (so £15 worth of seeds for £1.95 p&p charge), and £4 worth of vouchers for 10 strawberry runners.  My gardening budget is VERY tight, so I tend to sniff out any bargains to be had and grab them.

If you have a JTF near you that's quite good for tools & dalek-type plastic composters, just rembember that there's another 20% on top for VAT.  You don't need to be a business to register any more, just pop in & ask for a card.

Glad to see things are a lot more positive, you certainly managed more in the half-term than I did!!

26/02/2013 at 17:36

Lidl have got garden offers on starting on Monday, mini greenhouse, coldfame ect. So glad to hear that you are getting things together and i do hope that you get your things back. Just getting out there and starting to grow things will make you feel better. Well done for being so positive. 

26/02/2013 at 18:15
Mummy Muddy Paws wrote (see)

Don't forget if you shop at Tesco you can swop clubcard points for gardening stuff, I recently swopped £5 for a £15 T&M voucher (so £15 worth of seeds for £1.95 p&p charge),

If you get 2 T&M vouchers then that takes you over the £25 spend for GW free postage...I paid nothing for my last 3 £45 spends.

10/03/2013 at 14:42

any more up dates yet on what has happened

10/03/2013 at 22:40
Would love to know how your getting on. I hope that you have managed to recover some of your items...terrible what some people do xx
10/03/2013 at 23:07

we are all here for you dont hesitate to let us know how things are,but you kept strong and thats to be comended

15/03/2013 at 23:04

how is the allotment going?

21/03/2013 at 13:41

Hawk and Rose I have,nt been on this web long only had a computer a few weeks but been gardening an allotment for years.I,ve just come across your unfortunate situation I live near Leeds and Olney is many miles away otherwise you could come and get as many plant pots as you want. Tools as well over the years accumulated a spade or two forks I be only too happy to give you them.I,m 72 and Ive seen vandalism theft greenhouses shattered for no other reason that these people that do are scum of the earth.God bless you both and I hope you get it sorted.I used to live in Bedford in the 1970s.My kind Regards to you both Brian.

email image
41 to 57 of 57 messages