Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

In the autumn I covered my small garden with 'Red Bark' thinking it would give colour over drab months to follow. However it does give the colour but I have 2 issues

1. The birds love to wallow around it scattering it over the path,I don't mind the birds but it looks  such a mess over the path.Also where the birds and squirrels have scratched through it there are patches where soil is more visable.

2.When planting spring flowering bulbs or moving other plants around its not so easy to do after it has been spread (probably poor planning on my part)

Anyway what can I do, remove it all or, dig it into the soil. Will it breakdown easily enough. Advise welcome please

Lyn

It depends what you’ve got, heres an item copied from net, so it’s up to you if you want to dig it into your garden.

if you can find out if it’s a natural dye, which is rust then that will be ok.

quote.

The real controversy surrounding mulch dyes exists due to smaller, off-brand companies that use forms of dye that are considered toxic. These options are sometimes cheaper, so even while safer options exist with the bigger brands, thrifty and uninformed consumers still buy these colored mulches and leech those toxins into the environment, not to mention their own skin and lungs.

Dig it into  the soil, it will break down and improve it 

Obelixx

Or just leave it be.  It will work its way into the soil as time, weather and you pass - unless you have got the apparently toxic stuff in which case I would remove it.

In our last garden we put bark chip down as a weed control on a big new bed and chose large gauge wood chip to reduce losses form prevailing winds.  It all eventually rotted down over the years but by then the plants had grown and covered the soil.  Job done. 

OK all thanks for that information. I don't think it is toxic type but will check it out tomorrow.then decide which to go with it.

Sign up or log in to post a reply