London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
10 messages
10/05/2012 at 16:13

Please can anyone help as we have never done this above before.

What do we need to do to obtain more plants from the cuttings?

10/05/2012 at 19:10

I have never tried this but I believe it is a job for the autumn-some of the posters, no doubt, on here can offer advice from their experiences but in the meantime here is how it was shown on GW last year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00kn0sn

10/05/2012 at 20:40

Easy peasy. Some months of the year works better than others. I've cuttings taken in July and November 2011 and March 2012. More than 3/4 of the cuttings have taken with last July's having buds on already.

Wait until July, take a long length of stem. Cut into 9" lengths above a bud at the top and below a bud at the bottom. Add rooting compound on the bottom and insert into a tall pot of damp GP compost/vermiculite mixture. Cover with plastic bag for a few weeks. Keep out of direct sunlight

My attempts at planting these outside always failed as it's easy to allow them to dry out.

Root growth will be slow so you will need to wait a whole year

until they are ready to plant out outside.

11/05/2012 at 19:06

Monty's clip suggests that they will be the same rose as the original variety.

As most roses are grafted I didn't think this was the case? Or maybe I remember reading that they will be the same but maybe not as vigorous or hardy etc. I read so much I've confused myself! 

I tried to propagate some that had grown shoots in a vase, but they never produced roots sadly. I'd like to try some of the bushes in the garden though. 

11/05/2012 at 19:55

No, no, no. Your cutting will be the named variety. Cultivated roses are grown on a root stock such as Rosa rugosa. Anything above the graft will be true to the variety. Seeds are another problem altogether.

04/04/2013 at 16:26

I took a cutting (when pruning) from a rose back in January (when the weather was warmer). Its been in my coldframe ever since and is now sprouting really well. Its got a full side shoot which was just a bud when potted up. I hope its the same as the rose it was taken from.

On another note,

I bought a standard rose today and just for clarification, I should plant it now?

04/04/2013 at 17:48

Get it in Dave

I have grown from rose cuttings, however I did take them in September. Choose stems about the width of a pencil,Make your cuttings about 10 ins long, root compound and put them in a long pot with loose multi purpose compost, don't have a sticky mix - i think the last onees i did were in Oraganic/peat free compost. Put say 4 cuttings around edge of pot and basically leave them somewhere they will get some water and forget them fo a few months.

When i took some odinary shrub cuttings last year i was told to put the pot on a gravel tray and just leave them in  the corner of an unheated GH. This seems to have worked and is the same principle.

04/04/2013 at 17:49

Thanks Rosa, I have planted the standard rose.

04/04/2013 at 18:24

When I take rose cuttings I do it in the late summer through to the end of autumn.  I put them in a slit trench with some sharp sand and tread them well in and leave them 12 months, digging them up and planting them on the following autumn. 

05/04/2013 at 13:23

I have successfully propagated roses two years running, using Dovefromabove's method, which Monty demonstrated 18 months ago. I took  10" pencil thick cuttings in early October and  placed them in a 6" trench with an inch or two of sharp sand, and just left them to it. I panicked autumn before last because we had several days of warm sunny weather immediately afterwards, and the cuttings still had leaves, and I worried that they might dry out, as I didn't cover them. They didn't.  I got around 50% success, some varieties more successful than others so for safety take three cuttings for each one you need. This year i have several New Dawn, Shropshire Lad, All that Jazz  and Emma Hamilton - MIL has some spares coming her way. 

email image
10 messages