London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
09/06/2014 at 22:49

Well today started off with sad memories for Mike and family.  It was the fourth anniversary of me losing my mate, and the family losing a fantastic mum.

Then I attended the local hospital.  Today.  I was to be told in fuller detail my ordeal with the bladder cancer.  Whilst waiting.  My friendly doctor came passed.  I stood up and said. Morning Jonathon.  Hey Mike , old Buddy.  Big grin and a very strong hand shake.  He even remembered Amanda, as she insists being at my side.  Hello Amanda, nice to see you again.  So Mike.  How's things down below?  Then the boss called me in.  He introduced himself.  So.  It wasn't the top man, who originally gave me the bad news.  This chap really was great.  I/we learned all about his family history.  Much of the notes hadn't been put on computer, but there was the handwritten info. He left nothing to chance.  Loads of sketches etc.  Seems the tumour was fairly large, but in it's early stages.  Anyway.  I will be going back to my now favourite hospital, at the end of next month.  I will be put out, and the rigid camera scope will be used for a look around.   I will be fitted with a catheter again for the night.  Before they knock me out.  I will request ward.  SW3.  Then a couple of months later.  I will have the cystoscope inserted.  Then for the next ten years, I will be monitored.  So what began as sad day.  Turned out much brighter.

Thank you all for your love and best wishes and hugs etc over this period.  Love to all.  Mike. xx

09/06/2014 at 23:27

Mike, all I can say is... you hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Enjoy yourself now, you never know what is around the corner.

09/06/2014 at 23:36

Mike -  I would like to offer warmest wishes from both myself and Theresa. A sad day had its own unique silver lining,that gives reason for cautious optimism? I do hope that settles your mind even if a little  

10/06/2014 at 07:29

New on here, but, with respect, I'll add my best wishes. It just shows how organic we all are. Look to the sun . .

HC

10/06/2014 at 07:36

Crossing my toes for you that these next few appointments go well!

10/06/2014 at 07:52

Morning Mike

Glad the day got brighter for you.

Ive only experienced what you're going through via a young sister.......a huge, lomg roller coaster ride of emotions.  

Have happy day today Mike 

10/06/2014 at 08:05

Good morning Mike - as Verdun has said - I'm glad the day got brighter for you, and as Fishy has said, you have good reason for cautious optimism.

All our fingers and toes are crossed for you - it will make weeding difficult and possibly the ironing will be impossible, but hey ho ... 

We must all remember to make every day worthwhile 

10/06/2014 at 08:20
Hi Mike, I'm glad the day got brighter for you. Let me add my best wishes too. Lots of positive thoughts going your way
    10/06/2014 at 08:33

Hello Mike. Best wishes from all here at GW - we very much hope that your next appointments go well.

10/06/2014 at 14:42

I'm new on here too. Just want to let you know you are not going through these events alone. I've known many people with a variety of cancers throughout my whole life. It is a varied journey of emotions for everyone involved. In recent years my mother had breast cancer & my neighbour was treated for bladder cancer same as you last year, touchwood they are stronger everyday. I've noticed that the success of treatment has improved dramatically in the last 10 years with all the new research so you will be recovering soon.

My mother having cancer is what got me growing my own fruit & veg it may assist you too. The nutritional value & health benefits of your own produce far outweighs anything you can buy in the supermarket & will help boost your immune system. I focus on tomatoes a lot as they are well known to contain the cancer fighting ingredient lycopene. They grow best indoors if you don't have a greenhouse a cherry tom plant fits easily on a kitchen windowsill. Broccoli & sprouts are supposed to be great too I can't remember the exact nutrients they have. I also grow a lot of spinach & swiss chard which is high in iron & other vitamins whenever my mum was low on energy during & after treatment feeding her some of this seemed to give her a boost. Put the leaves in omelettes or casseroles or just on top of whatever you are eating. Camomile is a great herb to grow to make teas to aid relaxation & calmness.

Most importantly sitting out in a beautiful garden or going for a short walk somewhere with beautiful flowers, wildlife is a perfect way to revive & soothe the body & soul for you & your family. The perfect distraction is laughter so put your favourite comedy series on when you're resting up.

Keep fighting through the storm clouds until the rainbow appears.

Here's a few gardening themed jokes off the internet to lift spirits:

Why did the tomato turn red?
Because it saw the salad dressing.

Why did the Golden Delicious go to jail?
Because he was a rotten apple. 

What is green and goes to a summer camp?
A Brussels' scout.

What do you call a cow  who works for a gardener?
A lawn moo-er.

If only I could grow green stuff in my garden like I can in my refrigerator. 

Why did the gardener quit?
Because his celery wasn't high enough. 

How did the tomato court the corn?
He whispered sweet nothings into her ear. 

Checking the menu, a restaurant customer ordered a bowl of vegetable soup.  After a couple of spoonfuls, he saw a circle of wetness right under the bowl on the tablecloth.  He called the waitress over and said, "It's all wet down here. The bowl must be cracked."  The waitress said, "You ordered vegetable soup, maybe it has a leek in it."

A woman asks her neighbor, "can I borrow your lawnmower?"
Her neighbor says, "No, he's not home yet" 

What is small, red and whispers? 
A hoarse radish.

What sort of animal is a slug?
A snail with a housing problem. 

What do you call a country where the people drive only pink cars?
A pink carnation.

The best way to garden is to put on a wide brimmed straw hat and some old clothes. And with a hoe in one hand and a cold drink in the other, tell somebody else where to dig.

I'm a gardener and I'm OK
I sleep all night and I plant all day!
I dress in grubby clothing, and hang around with slugs.
Oh I'm happy in the garden
With dirt and plants and bugs . . .
(to the tune of Monty Python's "I'm a Lumberjack")

10/06/2014 at 19:17

Mike, my parents' birthdays were the 8th and 15th June, so this time of year was always a time for celebration, for years of my life, and now it is just any old time of year, which makes me feel so sad.  I am almost pre-programmed to think about parties and reunions, but all is quiet.  But I am very pleased to hear that you are doing well - especially that they caught your tumour early - hugs xxxx

10/06/2014 at 19:26

Hello garden angel

There was a fantastic thread by a fantastic guy about some fantastic jokes.  

10/06/2014 at 21:37

Hi Mike, I missed this thread last night, don't know how.  Fingers crossed everything goes well with your next few appointments and you continue on your journey to recovery xx

10/06/2014 at 23:19

Woweeeeeeeee!  What more could a bloke want.  Lovely Busy Bee tending so gently to my merest whims.  Then gorgeous Orchid Lady.  Simply overfowing with passion and concern.   Then Dove.  Oh, bless her heart.  Matron Dove. Dove old sweet.  I am so glad that you are here, keeping eveyone in order..   Matron.  Could I try those tiny stripped pills today?.  Hey doc.  c'mon mate. A bit more of the old gas or whatever.  I am having the time of my life.  Hey Michael, time to wake up.  Mumble mumble.  Go away, sweetone. I am enjoying myself.

Strange how our thoughts sometimes come to our rescue.

10/06/2014 at 23:43

Hi mike,hope your OK I lost my mum to throat cancer, five years ago,and it still hurts.life is so short whatever you want to do in life however big or small do it go on that holiday, read that book that you always wanted to.my dad died four years ago,and the last words that we said to each other were I love you.you know what ?I'm glad I said it embrace life .

10/06/2014 at 23:52

Remember when you're down there is only one way you can go..........up. No matter how bad things seem, you can always find someone worse off than you.

12/06/2014 at 08:12

Hey Mike......where are you?  You've not been on since that last post above, I've been checking up on you  I hope you're ok and if you are reading this and just not posting remember we are all still here for you ((hugs)).

I hope you've had some sunshine down there and have managed to enjoy a little of it.

I haven't posted it on the forum before, but I can understand a bit what you have been through and can empathise with Amanda, my mum is going in for a biopsy tomorrow, the same reason (ie symptoms etc) as yours initially but we don't know the outcome yet, we are hoping that the problems are caused by her medication and nothing more serious but only time will tell. They've said 2 weeks for the results.....it's going to be a long 2 weeks.

PS I'm not so sure about the gorgeous bit but if that's what you think I won't spoil it for you 

12/06/2014 at 11:21

best wishes Mike xx

12/06/2014 at 11:28

Good luck Mike Hope all goes well for you.

12/06/2014 at 12:13

Hi Mike,

I can feel for you, my hubby had thyroid cancer and has had all the treatment and is clear now, I can only say how fantastic these Hospitals are and what amazing care they give (he was at Gloucester Royal).

I wish you good luck all the best and hope your journey through this phase is as painless as possible and the outcome successfull  xxx

1 to 20 of 27 messages