London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
8 messages
05/04/2014 at 12:58

I have been sowing lots of seeds this morning and every year I manage to chop off the top of the seed packet and destroy some of the vital information.  I then spend some time stapling and sellotaping back the destroyed information.

Does anyone have a technique for opening packets efficiently or should they re-design packets in a more user friendly way?

05/04/2014 at 13:00

My thoughts on this subject:

If they redesign the packets the price will go up.

I shall buy shares in Sellotape.

05/04/2014 at 13:52

I've discovered that if you slice them neatly across with scissors about an inch down from the top you generally miss the glue and the foil insert (if any).  A nice straight cut can generally miss the printing; and don't go all the way across.

05/04/2014 at 13:54

Read the instructions before you open them?

That's what I do. I'm  incapable of opening any packet or box without completely destroying it

05/04/2014 at 14:34

I do that Nut but like to keep the packet for reference or if I stagger sewing/planting.  If they just had a blank bit at the top of about half an inch then start the narrative it would be helpful as the actual foil pack is teeny weeny and only uses a quarter of the pack anyway.  Maybe I ought to contact a few seed producers with a design!

05/04/2014 at 16:10

Go for it Forester

There's a need

05/04/2014 at 16:57

I ordered petunia seed from T&M for the last few yrs - the seed arrived loose in the big packet - no inner foil packet. Supposedly there were 25 seeds in the packet.
I always wonder how on earth they measure out these minute seeds??
I ordered from Mr Fothergill this yr and the seed arrived in a small vial - same petunias, double the amount of seed and cheaper.

When I were a lad, it was easy to peel open the top of the packet, but I guess these days it's all hermetically sealed - what they call progress I suppose...
These days I wiggle a small paring knife into the overfold gap at the top and slice the top open.

05/04/2014 at 17:12

I turn the packet upside down and shake/tap it well, then cut the bottom of the packet about 2mm down with a pair of scissors. After removing seed fold over couple of times and stick down with a piece of sellotape.

email image
8 messages