Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Seed saving

Hello guys, I've started seed saving this year for the very first time, purely by chance I was looking at the petunias in my hanging basket and noticed a couple of dried seed buds. Anyway, off inside I went and opened the seed head to find loads of tiny petunia seeds. I've never grew petunias from seed and I know that can be difficult but worth a try for free! Next on the hit list is marigolds when they get to the end of their growing life and anything else I can find a seed head on! Any one else seed saving?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

If you are new to seed saving it might be worth knowing that it is best to collect seeds when the seed head is nice and dry and to store them in paper containers (envelopes without plastic liners or windows are ideal). Storing in anything plastic will lead to condensation and damp seeds will usually just rot. Be sure to label the envelope with the plant name - we've all discovered a pack seeds (ID unknown) at the back of the shed at sometime!

Not all plants come true to type from seed but, as you say, they are free and you can sometimes get a nice surprise if you produce a plant with a slightly different form & prettier colour than the parent.

Some plants (such as foxgloves & poppies) are easily propagated from seed by just waving the dry seed head over the area where you'd like the plants to grow next year. The seeds will fall to the ground and germinate freely. Others require a bit more care and sowing in seed trays at the right time to maximise the success rate.

Good luck with seed collecting and sowing - for some of us plants for free and / or nurturing is nearly the best bit of gardening. image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Thanks so much for the advice, I've got small paper envelopes and I've taken a quick picture of the parent plant to give me an idea of what I have for next year.

I'm venturing more in to cut flowers next year so I'll see what I can produce.

Liam
  • I collected busy lizzie seeds last year, and I have such a glorious show this year.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Be careful Liam, it's addictive as I'm sure many will tell you. 

The trouble is you think, " they won't all germinate, so I'll sow extra" and you end up with tons of plants ( 144 Zatedeschia anyone? )

I can't bear to chuck them into the compost bin though.

Devon.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Ok Hosta. I feel a visit coming on image

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I got over excited and ended up with bazillions of dahlias (didn't realise how easy they are from seed!). My new rule is to plant in a 12 module seed tray and aim for 7 - 10 good plants.  I am busy sowing now for next year.  I find it more rewarding / succesful than sowing in the spring.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

I have saved seed for years, mostly due to the orice of packeted veg seeds like Runner and French beans and Peas..  They seem to have a better germination rate...I have not saved tomato seeds....Maybe I should..  I ex[erimented this year saving small onions and shallots from last yea as sets.. It was not very succesful, I am looking for good quality sets now...

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Lyn,you know you're most welcome any time. image

Devon.
  • Seed saving really is addictive...I am in therapy for it... It is always lovely to have a tray on healthy plants for free as seed is so expensive!