London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
11 messages
13/01/2013 at 18:51

I found this and thought that some folks would be interested in it. It is in Latin but I am sure you can get the idea

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/calendar.htm

14/01/2013 at 10:56

sounds a good idea will click on it!

14/01/2013 at 11:49

Hello Sam

I can understand most of it - as learn Latin words of plants a bit when watching TV or looking through seed catalogues. Looks good but what a lot of seeds the chart shows for January to sow.

Like the chart says some seed packet instructions are different as to when to sow them depending on where you buy your seed packets from what company.

Thanks

Can you understand the chart?

14/01/2013 at 11:55
Lol...kinda. Still working on it. Slowly gettin through it
14/01/2013 at 12:01

It is just a guide-I see it says dahlia in January-which considering you cant plant out until Mid-May at the earliest is again far too early-the main sowing regime is in March.

As a rough guide the smaller the seed the earlier you sow-so beginia impatiens lobelia in late February and so on-but often it is all about your last frost date and timing

Also you have to bear in mind that some seed packets are distributed all over Europe so sowing dates will obviously vary from those on the packet-as anyone who buys seeds from Lidl etc can testify

14/01/2013 at 12:14

Sam, in my neck of the woods the North East Coastal area a calender is not much use, you go by the feel of the weather. We can have snow and ice into March some years and are two to three weeks behind the South and middle England.
There is a heated sand bed in the greenhouse but they also need light, although south facing to pick up the light it is often drab and not really good for sowing.
When we get some good clear days then on goes the sand bed and sowing begins, putting a date or time on it would not work so it is down to experience as to what is the best time.
Seed packets are a general rule as they cannot specify for every local weather condition, Scotland would be even further behind than us, patience can be a virtue in gardening.

Frank.

14/01/2013 at 21:12
Hi Frank & Geoff. I understand what you are saying and am grateful for your input. It was a conversation that I was having with a couple of other members. Thats why I put it up
I dont have a mass amount of experience but it was just a suggestion to what we had been talking about.
Only way to gain experience is trial and error as well as research
A day is wasted if you have not learnt something
14/01/2013 at 22:07

Hello Sam

I write notes of what I have sown in a little book then I can look at when I sowed it to see how well and how long things take. sometimes it is good to note down - helps me any way to remember when I sowed it and to see when it is a good time to sow it again if I still have seeds left.

But I sometimes think I want to sow seeds just want to start sowing seeds and pick a pack to start off as long as I have some left just in case it does not grow well sure some things are up to when you want to garden.

14/01/2013 at 22:10
I have been doin the same Gardengirl. Will note everything and use in the future. Learn as you go
14/01/2013 at 23:12

Hi Sam, I've been looking at this and it just goes to show that there is so much variation on information not only when to sow seeds but how the plants are described.

For example snapdragons/Antirrhinum are described here as perennials but many would say that they are either half hardy perennials or even annuals. Another example would be Aubrieta which many packets say to sow in Feb rather than March. I'm giving some of them ago in Jan,just to see what happens. I'll sow some more later on as well.

I treat all the information as a guide and adapt it to my own local climate, growing on conditions and experience

14/01/2013 at 23:38
That sounds like a great plan. I will know a little more this time next year mind. My dads keepin me right too.
email image
11 messages