London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
02/04/2014 at 22:01

Hi all, I need to buy some seeds and whilst I love supporting my local GC they are so expensive and no offers 

As a subscriber I get 10% off at most suppliers, so my question is are they all pretty much the same when it comes to seeds?  I have had a quick look on the Good Guys thread but it seems to apply more to plants / bulbs etc than seeds.

Thanks.

02/04/2014 at 22:27

For the huge range that they stock and for their excellent service I use Chiltern seeds, however I dont think that they are cheap.

02/04/2014 at 22:34

Try Wilkinsons for some seeds, they are quite cheap, but the range is not as extensive as the major suppliers. Ebay has seed sellers and amazon, and the price of seed has been highlighted on this forum before.

Many of the major seed suppliers are part of research program's which develop the new varieties many gardeners are so eager to see, thus we have to pay a price for what we are getting.

It;s no excuse, but nothing is free. Try the seed swap thread as well most buy too much seed which we are happy to swap or pass on. 

02/04/2014 at 23:37

Tracey.  Take a look at these two.  Seekay Horticultural Supplies. www.seekkayhorupplies.com

Premier seeds Direct.

I have traded with both of these this season.

Believe me. 99p pr pkt.  More than enough in each pkt.

Give them a go.

03/04/2014 at 03:27

I have bought seeds from Wilkinsons in the past and have been very happy with the results. I bought a carrier bag full of seeds 3 years ago when they were marked down by 75% at the end of the season. I'm still growing them this year despite "best before" dates.

I've never understood why some suppliers have , say 100 seeds , in a packet of tomatoes. I once bought a packet of Nocotiana Sylvestris which claimed to have 2,000 seeds in it. Why??  

Have fewer seeds and lower the price, if need be , I'll buy extra packets if I need a huge number.

03/04/2014 at 06:55

Thanks everyone, I am aiming it get back in time today to get an order done, or spend my lunch hour in a shop browsing, depending what shops I can find in Yorkshire 

03/04/2014 at 07:43

Premier Seeds Direct on Ebay is great.  Huge choice, postage cheap and very quick delivery. I've always been more than happy with them.

03/04/2014 at 08:22

For vegetable seed there is a company called MoreVeg, they produce packets with less seed than the big suppliers but more than enough for your average gardener, roughly half the cost of most of the big boys.

They have a very good range and there's lots of info  on the site.

03/04/2014 at 08:25

hi orchid lady bought night scented stock seeds from aldi v cheap however not planted uyet so i'll let you know if any good

03/04/2014 at 09:20

Depends what seeds your going for ie. veg or flowers? If veg try this company I believe they are a non-profit organisation, as they are trying to encourage gardeners to harvest their own seeds rather than buying commercial F1 seeds. Haven't tried them yet but keep meaning to! You do get a lot of seeds, so ideal to share with gardener friends .

03/04/2014 at 09:22

Kinda helps if I had put the company  real seeds.co.uk

03/04/2014 at 10:01
Mike Allen wrote (see)

Tracey.  Take a look at these two.  Seekay Horticultural Supplies. www.seekkayhorupplies.com

Premier seeds Direct.

I have traded with both of these this season.

Believe me. 99p pr pkt.  More than enough in each pkt.

Give them a go.

Mike, that site won't open with that url, there is an "s" missing and a "k" too many! It should read

http://www.seekayhortsupplies.com/

Just thought I'd point it out in case others are having problems!

03/04/2014 at 14:18

Thanks everyone  Will let you know how I get on later but Premier Seeds seems you have most 'votes' at the moment.

03/04/2014 at 22:49

I've ordered from Premier Seeds Direct; carrots, sprouts, squash, basil, coriander, spinach, lettuce and rocket  Just need to order my Tumbling Toms now 

04/04/2014 at 12:29

You can take a chance with poundland/world and Home Bargains. I bought a hanging basket collection from HB in the new year. You got six packs for 74p! Four out of the six packs have germinated. So I'm going to have two hanging baskets this year for 74p!

04/04/2014 at 14:32

Well I'm impressed already, ordered last night and already have had notification saying they are on their way from both Premium Seeds and Crocus.....may be one for the Good Guys thread 

05/04/2014 at 21:10

These guys are great:

http://www.seedaholic.com/

I've used them a lot over the past year, great website, the information sheets they supply with the seeds is fantastic. I've had excellent results with all seed purchased from them. But best of all, their customer service is excellent!

The presentation of the packets & information sheets also make them great for gifting (recently bought the girls in the office some Hibiscus for Mother's Day, they loved it!)

05/04/2014 at 21:20

Yes, seedaholic are great, but for germination rates I would go for D T Brown

07/04/2014 at 13:17

My seeds from Premier Seeds Direct have arrived today, really good service considering it was free postage and I only ordered them on Thursday night. 

I've also ordered Tumbling Tom tomatoes from T&M as I couldn't get them from PSD and although I paid for postage they aren't here yet!!

Now my problem is I used more seed compost, went a bit mad sowing flower seeds in the GH yesterday LOL.....at least I'll have a sunny sunflower garden in a few months 

07/04/2014 at 13:43

I buy most of my seeds from Ebay, you can get all sorts of flower and veg seeds, never had any problem with buying them on Ebay.  A lot cheaper.  I like different tomato plants and they have a wider range than the seed merchants and garden centres. 

1 to 20 of 25 messages