London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
61 to 80 of 673 messages
14/12/2012 at 14:33

Hello asilvert

My parcel of seeds arrived today brilliant thank you - with an added bonus of extra seeds, can't wait to have a go and sow them. Will try and have a go at sowing the bonus seeds as well.

Thank you so much 

Gardengirl..

14/12/2012 at 14:44

Hi Gardengirl

No problem at all, my daughter bought me a very expensive bunch of flowers for my birthday, I would normally prefer a plant but they were beautiful, I had to try to salvage something from them and took the heads off the sea hollies when they were finished, never grown them before but I'm going to have a go too next spring.

I always try to save seeds if I ever get flowers otherwise I feel its a waste, thats where the snapdragons came from last year

14/12/2012 at 14:47

Thats sounds cool, not done that before good idea if anyones in the house gets flowers maybe I will.  I buy more flowers for planting in the garden

14/12/2012 at 15:09

Yes me too I'd much rather have a plant that lasts.

Oh I also have sweet pea seeds I inherited them sweet peas with the garden and they come back stronger every year, not sure what type they are but I have lots with lovely pink flowers and they flower prolifically, if anyone wants any.

hi Sam I've posted your love in the most today so hopefully you will get them soon and thanks Nutcutlet i managed to find a copy the book you recommended so I'm looking forward to the postie coming

14/12/2012 at 15:43

Reminds me I was going to check out another book.

Growing from Seed by Karen Platt, she has a website http://www.karenplatt.co.uk/books/  but I can't see that book listed. Might be out of print. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=growing+from+seed+Karen+Platt

Amazon have it though. 

Karen Platt lists 'Seed sowing and growing success' might be the updated version. Could be even better. 

14/12/2012 at 19:59

Sam. I'd be interested in all three, what would you like to swap.

I also have some tom seeds, mainly common varieties but I do have some Xmas grape which is a nice cherry one.

How do we exchange addresses!

14/12/2012 at 20:13
Zoomer44 wrote (see)

Sam. I'd be interested in all three, what would you like to swap.

I also have some tom seeds, mainly common varieties but I do have some Xmas grape which is a nice cherry one.

How do we exchange addresses!

Zoomer-sorry to but in- you use the message facility to swap addresses

15/12/2012 at 00:03
Hi asilert...thankyou. Im looking forward to the coming. Is there anything you are looking for?

Zoomer...I fancy a shot at the purple beans if you still have them? I will pm you my address and if you do the same I will get them on thier way

Has anyone got any Atsrantia seeds? All I can find is plants and no seeds that are in stock.
15/12/2012 at 07:59

Try Chiltern Seeds, they're bound to have some.

15/12/2012 at 09:25

Thompson and Morgan and Fothergills have some atsrantia at around the same price for 30 seeds.

15/12/2012 at 10:52

HI, another idea might be to join the Hardy Plant Society / Cottage Garden Society as they lots of info plant/gardening info throughout the year put together by members.  They also have an annual seed swap which produces a diverse range of seeds to choose from.  It's brilliant, as well as being part of a group of like minded people.  I'm hooked, having grown many plants I had never heard of or seen before, Dierama, Tulbaghia, Adenophora, species Clematis etc, and others such as different Eryngium, Asters, Lavender, Agapanthus.  There are veg as well , although the swap is mostly annuals/perennials/shrubs/trees, some very unusual.  Some of the seed might take 2-4 years to come to flower (such as Agapanthus) but it is often well worth the wait.  I sowed some seed of Cornus Capitata about 10 or so years ago and this year they produced their first flowers, followed by strawberry like fruits.  Magic!  It's a great eco friendly and cost effective way of producing plants, and it's also great to curl up in the armchair with the list and the laptop checking out plant information online.

Visit their websites and maybe give it a go?  The next seed swap submissions will be around August/September.

15/12/2012 at 11:43

If you join the Hardy Plant Society now you might get the seed list for this year. The closing date for orders isn't until January sometime. Like Marilyn, a lot of my plants started there. Lots of plant swapping at the meetings as well. 

15/12/2012 at 22:28

Sam, I've sent my address. If you send yours the seeds will be on their way.

16/12/2012 at 18:49

Thanks guys. I will have a look and see what there is

Zoomer, I have sent my address and will post yours out in the morning. Thank you.

I spent the morning in the green house today. I found a wonderful piece of wood at the beach for the garden too. I just need to clean it up a little but it will eventually (after many many washes) be a water feature. Arghh, I want the spring to arrive...not only to get the bike out again but to get my garden growing again lol

17/12/2012 at 15:28

Hi all

Sam I hope your well and had a nice weekend, thanks again for this thread,, its been like santa came early .Good luck with the drift wood, sound like an interesting project.

Hi Nutcutlet, thank you so much they came today, they look good enough to eat .  Did some research this morning (after a heavy second interview that hopefully went well) and planted a few and kept some ready for spring.

17/12/2012 at 15:41

sam, maybe some cuttings? I agree with an earlier comment about seed swap, etc with local people but perhaps a cutting or two in the spring if you like?  easy in polythene bag inside a jiffy ?.  Many of my own plants were cuttings scrounged from people i called on and are now loud n proud in my garden

17/12/2012 at 15:52

Glad they got there asilvert. They do look tasty but probaly poisonous. Hope the interview was successful.

17/12/2012 at 16:26

Anybody else like to have a go at seed swaping?

Verdun wrote (see)

sam, maybe some cuttings? I agree with an earlier comment about seed swap, etc with local people but perhaps a cutting or two in the spring if you like?  easy in polythene bag inside a jiffy ?.  Many of my own plants were cuttings scrounged from people i called on and are now loud n proud in my garden

Cuttings sound interesting way of going as well as seeds swapping if cutting root well then the plant would grow a lot quicker than seed, but I do like seed sowing seeing the plants grow from such small seeds to plants

17/12/2012 at 20:40
Cutting would be good too. Im up for that Anyone else?
17/12/2012 at 21:00

Given my record with cuttings I'll think I'll wait and see how the existing ones go. 

However, if I see a request for something I have, I'm happy to send some.

61 to 80 of 673 messages