London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
81 to 100 of 673 messages
17/12/2012 at 21:07

I'm in I love growing from seed but always have a surplus.

Currently I have some mixed sweet william small plants and some mixed sweet rocket plants- both were sown from seeds this year and should flower next year. Hardy plants as they are in the cold frames.

I'm interested in seeds/cuttings/plants that are good for pollinating insects

I have too many seeds to list, but they include, night scented stock, snapdragons, cornflowers, lupins,sunflowers, sweetpeas.

I also have seeds from a plant  that insects love, probably classed as invasive if you don't keep an eye on it- bees and butterflies love it. It has a very bushy tendancy but easy to divide,tough as old boots- it's known in this household as the "false sunflower" It really is a bee butterfly magnet.

17/12/2012 at 21:29
Thats a brilliant idea. Im sure your cuttings will be very happy. I had a wee delivery yesterday but am getting a little impatient now for spring lol.
17/12/2012 at 23:26
Hi folks I've been totally inspired by your idea's and conversations re: seed swap. I myself with the help of my father inlaw have visited some of the best gardens in Ireland and (head bowed must admit have pocketed some of natures bounty ie: seed heads when no one was looking) anyways the result was that I now have lots and lots of things growing eg: tiny conifers 'spruce' together wit loads of other plants. I have a big garden i'm only moved into my house 12 months ago and I am setting about to transform my garden. I'm interested in all plants, shrubs from cordalines to forest flames. If anyone has any cuttings small seedlings or plants I'd be happy to pay for the p&p I just love the idea of a garden filled with plants from all over the UK organised chaos ....
18/12/2012 at 17:33

Hey Paul welcome aboard  and I guess we've all commited some kind of re-colonisation I prefer to call it .

P&P isn't really that much and if we're all swapping it shoud work out ot be quite fair, I really dont mind paying a few pence especially when I get little parcels through the door that could bring years of enjoyment.

Nutcutlet, thank you yes I GOT THE JOB  (bit gutted I don't seem to have the xmas smileys but nothing can upset me today )

I've not been very succesful so far with cuttings although I have some yew that seems to be going ok can't wait for spring now so we can experiment with rooted plant swap

18/12/2012 at 17:50

Congratulations asilvert

18/12/2012 at 17:59

Hi I would love to join the seed swap. i have surplus seeds but it will now be after Christmas before I sort them out. I often give them to neighbours but they have loads now.

Look forward to joining you all

Bjay

18/12/2012 at 19:30

Hello

Jackie frost - I have got your seeds they arrived today - look great

18/12/2012 at 19:42
paulkearney wrote (see)
Hi folks I've been totally inspired by your idea's and conversations re: seed swap. I myself with the help of my father inlaw have visited some of the best gardens in Ireland and (head bowed must admit have pocketed some of natures bounty ie: seed heads when no one was looking) anyways the result was that I now have lots and lots of things growing eg: tiny conifers 'spruce' together wit loads of other plants. I have a big garden i'm only moved into my house 12 months ago and I am setting about to transform my garden. I'm interested in all plants, shrubs from cordalines to forest flames. If anyone has any cuttings small seedlings or plants I'd be happy to pay for the p&p I just love the idea of a garden filled with plants from all over the UK organised chaos ....

We all do it Paul lol. Im just as bad for that hehe.

Asilvert...WOOOhhhooooooooooo, massive congrats hun. Well done New year and new start. 

Tinkle, welcome to both you and Paul and I think that this could be a yearly event lol. 

18/12/2012 at 21:25

I took a few seeds when on holiday from a garden, not done that before then, - I really liked the way the plant look and wanted to have a go at growing it myself but it had no label so did not know what it was so I think they would not of mind (hope so) as the seeds might of just gone on the floor.

jackie frost wrote (see)

I also have seeds from a plant  that insects love, probably classed as invasive if you don't keep an eye on it- bees and butterflies love it. It has a very bushy tendancy but easy to divide,tough as old boots- it's known in this household as the "false sunflower" It really is a bee butterfly magnet.

I do say I like the sound of the "false sunflower Jackie frost

19/12/2012 at 00:30

Does the false sunflower grow as tall as the 'real' sunflower Jackie Frost?

19/12/2012 at 00:49
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, if I can manage it I will upload photos of my garden it's pretty much a blank canvas at the mo so I'd welcome some very much needed advice thanks again.
19/12/2012 at 15:42

Hi Sam

I have received my seeds thank you.

Hello all

I can send non rooted cuttings of Hebe white charming or Hebe Lisa pink flowers bees like them. If anybody wants to swap any cuttings with me.

19/12/2012 at 20:43
Garden girl I've got lavender and mint !
19/12/2012 at 21:10

Hi Gardengirl, glad you're happy with the Ragged Robin seeds. I sowed them fresh off the plant in the Summer when the seed pods were nice and dry, and they germinated really well.

My false sunflower may well be classed as an invasive weed, I don't know what it is, I inherited it when I moved here.  It's is growing in very poor heavy soil in partial shade.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/16733.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

Some visitors this year

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/16734.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/16735.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

When the sun is out it has been smoothered  with all different types of insects. I have dug the seeds out but to be honesty they aren't the best. Another option would be for me to send out some of the tubers in soil  if anyone was interested?

Congratulations asilvert on your getting the job, well done, it's a very tough job market out there.

I'm ok with a bit of covert sweed collecting, nothing wrong with it

19/12/2012 at 22:01

I googled false sunflower and came up with heliopsis. But those aren't heliopsis are they? Could it be one of the inulas? Very nice and doesn't look so enormously tall as some sunflower types.

20/12/2012 at 12:30
paulkearney wrote (see)
Garden girl I've got lavender and mint !

Hello paul I like the sound of lavender, are you interested in one of my hebe plants?

Could do a swap if you want?

jackie frost wrote (see)

When the sun is out it has been smoothered  with all different types of insects. I have dug the seeds out but to be honesty they aren't the best. Another option would be for me to send out some of the tubers in soil  if anyone was interested?

Hello Jackie

I am interested in the false sunflower, could cutting be taken from the plant and grown on just wondering?

Photos off Google images of the Hebes I am offering so you can see what the plants look like.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/16751.jpg?width=234&height=158&mode=max

Hebe charming white

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/16753.jpg?width=217&height=161&mode=max

Hebe Lisa pink, both evergreen and the bees like them

If you want to swap for one of these cuttings?

20/12/2012 at 12:45

What time of year does your white hebe flower please Gardengirl?

20/12/2012 at 13:21

Hello my white hebe flowers in spring/ summer and I have still got some bits in flower now in the garden

Plant in full sun/ part shade - likes most soil, good for containers and in the garden, hebes are not too fussy

20/12/2012 at 13:26

I have a space in my white border and had thought a hebe of some sort would fill it. Yes an evergreen would be brilliant but I really need one (any sort of shrub) that will flower in late summer,early autumn when most of the other white flowers have finished or are passed their best. So thnaks but I'm thinking that it won.t be suitable. 

Any one any ideas?

20/12/2012 at 14:11

Clerodendron trichotomum and heptacodium have white flowers late in the season but after flowering they'd mess up a white border with coloured calyces and berries. Choisya often does a late flowering as well, though not as free as its first one.

81 to 100 of 673 messages