London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
10 messages
10/09/2013 at 10:58

Hi everyone, I am new to both this forum and really the gardening world.  I am 27 years old and have this deep need to get my head into gardening.

My mum passed away only 7 weeks ago and this has left a humongous hole in my life. My mum was wonderful and she LOVED gardening she used to say there is nothing better than fancying a salad for dinner and going into the garden to pick it 

Its her sudden and expected passing that has got me wanting to "learn" how to become more green fingered.

My first step is organisation! I currently have seeds coming out of my ears!!! Can I please ask how you organise yours - I mean this in terms of if you file them and organise them according to

a) the time of year they are sewn

b) type of plant

etc, etc

many thanks 

Amy

10/09/2013 at 11:46

Hi 20Lili02, so  sorry to hear about your loss!

After years of having all my seed packets all mixed up in one box, I finally sat down the other day to sort them. First I sorted them into two shoe cartons, cut and sellotaped to fit the largest packet, one for veggie seeds, the other for flowers. I then sorted them by sowing dates, the earliest in the front. Will have to check them regularly so I don't miss the correct times though!

Others may have much better ideas, will be watching this thread

10/09/2013 at 11:51

Hi Amy, I'm probably not the best person to ask as I keep all of mine in a large metal old biscit tin and then just have a root around in there at different types of the year!

If I were ever to get organised (highly unlikely) I would probably divide my seeds into annuals/perennials/biennuals as on the whole these are sown at different types of the year. Only started doing any edible stuff this year. I do a little bit of seed collecting and keep those in those small money envelopes

I started my garden about 2-3 years ago and a lot of it has been grown from seed, it's very enjoyable and very addictive........

10/09/2013 at 14:38

Hi Amy,

Can't help with the organisation and filing of seed packets I'm afraid, I inherited a garden with a certain amount of established plants so I haven't had to plant from seed yet, I clicked on here as I was curious as to how people do store and organise their seeds but I wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss, you must be missing your mum terribly.

Gardening will certainly help to fill your days and give you something to channel your energy into. And its addictive. And some people are naturally good at it, if your mum was you probably will be too so you'll reap the rewards in no time. Hope you manage to get it all figured out and under way very soon. Love Heather

10/09/2013 at 18:39

Hi. I'm sorry to hear of your loss x I too am new to Gardening, and was very lucky to have received a seed box from some friends as a birthday present. The boxis laid out with sections and dividers to be able to put the seeds into date of planting order so that is how I will split them. If I had the space in the box I would split veggies and flowers. That said, my OH doesn't like food from the garden (God knows why, it always tastes soooo much better!) so I won't be doing veggies, just flowers 

The best thing I did recently was join this forum. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Everyone is very knowledgable and some threads have made me laugh out loud. A better bunch of people you couldn't find!

10/09/2013 at 18:49

I sow as many as I can but those I store go in little glassine envelopes that I get from here

http://www.bedwynstamps.com/

They stand up in 2 plastic margerine tubs in a coolish cupboard. One is labelled 'sow in January' for the cold germinaters and the other 'sow in spring'.

10/09/2013 at 19:19

((((Lilly))) Gardening really is the best therapy in times grief.

I am sure many of us on here know how you are feeling and I can't think of a better way of starting to fill that hole than learning about gardening and following in your mothers footsteps 

I have a gardening journal given to me as a gift. It has months with gardening tips for that month and pockets to put the seeds in. It also has pages for notes so you can write down your successes and failures etc. it even has a water proof cover so you can take it into the field....so to speak.

I found it invaluable when first starting out because you have everything in one place. The filofax of the gardening world lol. 

I hope you come  to love gardening as much as your mother did x

13/09/2013 at 11:35

The garden, or lotty, whatever, is virtually ESSENTIAL for a life to be complete and fulfilled !  I find that wor lotty s the stage for complete range of every emotion known to man. Despair to bubbling joy in a few days, when seeds come up where they should, or roughly close to. Gardening takes one out of the pain of misery and grief, by setting up challenges for you. It also connects you to something almost ethereal, spiritual and indescribable pleasures. You can dig, rake and just 'be', with your little patch of this planet, doing your 'thing'. 

What you get out of it depends on wh at you put into it. Listen to what people have to advise, when sharing their experiences, then take it home with you, Potter. Have a deck chair handy, and a flask of what your scene is, chew on a sarnie, and perhaps the following year, you will be eating what you have produced by your own labours.

Gardening isn't a race, it isn't a timetable and it ain't on rails. Nature has it's own ideas, and laughs at our plans, intentions and ambitions. Go with nature and the natural speed of things. If it doesn't work, slow down, or speed up. No need to spend zillions of pounds for a good patch. Become a good gardener by checking out skips, and collect things for a rainy day. 

I have, opened packets of seeds in a plazzy box, and within the box are spilled seeds mixed up together in a bewildering collection of what I call, 'Lucky Dip'.     Carrots, parsnips, brassicas, radishes, Lettuces, peas and sweet peas, all take their chance in a spare row along an edge of the patches. 

Bless you Lilly, and just let things happen. 

13/09/2013 at 11:46

Hello and welcome,

Sorry for your recent loss,gardening can be a great healer,time to reflect .

My seeds are in seed tins ( a useful Christmas present from a friend) sorted into flower and veg and then into times of sowing.Prior to the tins they were in biscuit tins,it does,nt matter as long as they are kept dry  in paper bags not plastic or they will mould. 

Gardening is a chance to experiment,it does,nt matter if you make mistakes,you will learn from them ,and hopefully go on to have many years in your new hobby.

As you say nothing better than picking your own crops,start simple and don,t be afraid to ask,no matter how silly you may think the question,someone here will always try to help.

Best of luck. 

13/09/2013 at 22:43

I feel such a twit !  I thought that 20lilly02 was yer name ! OF COURSE !  It's  AMY ! How could I have got it wrong so easily ???  Silly old sow and sow !

email image
10 messages