London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
181 to 200 of 394 messages
10/02/2013 at 09:53
Definitely a different world .
10/02/2013 at 10:25
Well Scotland started a bit dreech but now starting to brighten up. Delphs being potted on today and a few others lol
13/02/2013 at 22:24

Cerinthe are up

13/02/2013 at 22:45

So cold out there today I didn't go and look. Nipped round the bird feeders and back indoors - 

13/02/2013 at 22:49

A definite wise move I think

13/02/2013 at 22:54

Better tomorrow though. After the rain is done all the hardwood cuttings will be back outside. And I'll be keeping an eye on germination over the next week or so. I have expectations.

13/02/2013 at 22:58

Im pretty happy with my lot so far. No losses to report. Cornflowers are all up and pricked out and back in the greenhouse. Just waiting on Astrantia, Verbena and Green Wizard at the moment

13/02/2013 at 23:02

Just waiting for the warmth after the cold.

I'm getting impatient now, need spring

13/02/2013 at 23:08

Oh I know what you mean. Fresh three inches of snow today. Grrrr,

16/02/2013 at 11:51

Does anyone have any advice on germinating cleome seeds?

16/02/2013 at 12:04

Hi newbeeflowergirl, I'm growing these for the first time this year. I sowed them indoors in a propagator on my kitchen window sills. So far so good, a lot of them have germinated, will probably move them outside soon into the coldframes. Then as soon as they get their first true leaves I will pot them on, burying the stems quite deep.

I had the seeds given to me I think so wouldn't have thought of growing these before. From what others have said here and the pictures I've seen they look like lovely plants and can grow quite tall. Seem to remember that someone warned me about the prickly stems when they are mature plants

16/02/2013 at 13:21

Thanks hollie hock, do you remember how long germination took?

16/02/2013 at 16:33

A couple of weeks I think

16/02/2013 at 18:39
Sowed cosmos seed three days ago and they're already 2 inches high. Lettuce tomorrow. Loads of cuttings of tender stuff need potting up. Getting to that full greenhouse situation now. Ribes starting to flower. Daphne in the air.
16/02/2013 at 18:52
Hmmm. Might do thecsame then
20/02/2013 at 21:25

How's everyones seed sowing going? Overall I'm happy with my results. The aubreitta and the F1 white snap dragons are the only ones that didn't do very well. These were the first ones I sowed and tiny tiny seeds. I think I wet the soil too much, then they were on the windowsill without heat and poor light. Chucked them and will have to start again, no major loss though as I sowed thinly and have plently left.

Sowed a few several types of Rudebekias which on the whole have done well,particulary the Cappacino types which have just been pricked out and put into individual pots in the cold frames, same goes for the mixed forget me nots and cosmos. Lost some of the latter but hey I don't mind.

No luck with germination of the verbena boneralis seeds,despite 2 weeks in the fridge and then another 2 indoors so they have gone outside in the coldframes as well.I'l be patient as I've read that germination can be very erratic.

Latest sowings include cloth of gold wallflowers and some mixed sweet rocket, both show some some signs of germination.

Have to ask Sam- green wizard? Great name what are they?

20/02/2013 at 23:09

I have campanula aubrita and dianthus deltoids in my greenhouse from september and have currently just put out hardy carnations, lobelia cardinalus and delphinium magic fountain. Also got lobelia trailing annual in cold frame but i dont expect that to survive think i sowed that far too early but dont have room indoors. Have sowed pansies and violas at the moment and will sow cornflowers next month.

aubrieta dont look too happy at the moment as my cold frame blew away a while back and the got really batterd off the wind so i donno if they are gonna survive. Also alot of my sweetpeas were severly damaged when this happened but appear to be recovering.

20/02/2013 at 23:59
Lobelia is up...so is foxglove 'Alba', Scabious, and Green Wizard oh, and my Cerinthe Really happy with everything.
21/02/2013 at 20:28

Did you grow the Aubritas from seed cairnsie? This my first year trying them out, will resow some this weekend. Once again surprised that the Lobeilia seem to be holding their own in the cold frames. I've overwintered plants for the first time this winter, (by accident rather than planned) Larkspurs and they seem fine, some have even got a few buds on them. When it's time for them to go in the ground, I'll cut them back so hopefully I will get bushier plants.

I sowed some foxgloves Alba last year Sam, so really looking forward to seeing them bloom, no doubt  I'll sow some more as well as the peachy/apricot types.

21/02/2013 at 20:41

yes started them september. To be honest they have never looked happy since I sowed them always sort of straggly and they did get very leggy as well before i potted them on. My cold frame blew away and seed tray went with them. I had 10 plants although i didnt need that many only wanted 2 and i have 3 i salvaged but some of the leaves have yellowed from the wind damage so i dont know if they gonna survive. Hope they do survive and i also think its very unlikly they will flower this year.

181 to 200 of 394 messages