London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 16°C
07/03/2013 at 21:32

There not big enough to plant out. I was having problems with damp which i thinks is one of the biggest negatives to these greenhouse but i open it every day as long as temps not to bad now and it is alot less damp now I may move them to my coldframe which has less condensation.

07/03/2013 at 21:46

The greenhouse that is now 3 tiers got broken it did blow down a few times so I ended up tying it to the fence but now fence has changed and can't do that crap will weigh it down thanks that has reminded me

If you have old 2ltr drink bottles you can cut the bottom off use them as greenhouse open the lid when needed push them into soil over the plants that could work or the cold frame as you said should

07/03/2013 at 22:44
Arrgghhhhh. Not mine yet nutcutlet. I have 7 verbenas up now though and salad leaves are through too. Already pricked out and potted on cerinthe. They have been in th GH for a week now. Foxglove alba to do tomorrow aswell as artichokes and a strange one which is in my garden. No idea what its called though. Get my strawbs planted in the barrel tomorrow and get the ground preped and poles in for beans. Hope the rain stays off
08/03/2013 at 19:46

Hi Sam, no verbenas sprouting for me, are the successful ones that you have different seeds? Did you chill them at all?

I sowed some Foxgloves alba last year and some peachy type, looking forward to seeing them this year.

I'm going to have another ago at the aubreittas and the white snapdragons over the weekend, as well as the cosmos white.Some of the cleomes that I have pricked out have been eaten in the cold frames

09/03/2013 at 18:40
Hi hun. The ones that sprouted first were a second pack i got hun butvthe ones that are from the same as you have are now up...well...2 are they were not chilled. Not those ones so still got time.
09/03/2013 at 18:51

First seedlings up, tiny ageratums came up 4 days after sowing and 2 French marigolds! Hope marigolds will carry on coming, should be about 30 - but they are seeds left over from last year.

09/03/2013 at 19:36

Will leave them alone then, cold weather is due so that might get them going.

Good news Busy-Lizzie,it's great when you see them coming up after sowing.

Due to the cold weather expected here in the next few days,I will hold off sowing any more for now.

09/03/2013 at 22:23

My grow house is now up today so wait a bit for it to warm up a bit, them more seed sowing, then it all starts to get busy soon

I have few more unknown seeds up and more cosmos white

12/03/2013 at 22:06

At last...Moonstone has germinated! Only taken 10 weeks!!! Fingers are still crossed for the rest.

So far I have:

Verbena Bonariensis, Snap Dragon, Foxglove (alba and peach) Mugwort, Tomatos, Sweet Peas, Cerinthe, Cornflower mix and Black bull, Scabious, Artichoke, Alonsoa, Seaholly, Lobelia, Green wizard, French Marigold, Purple Orache, Calendula, Nasturtiums, and lettuce all germinated and doin really well

12/03/2013 at 22:10

Phlomis alpina surfaced yesterday.

12/03/2013 at 22:19

Ohhh, just looked them up, they are prutty 

Anything else? Have you many planned Nutcutlet?

12/03/2013 at 22:27

My Cornflowers germinated extremely quick literally 2 days is all it took!

12/03/2013 at 22:29

Mine were the same. The Scabious were real quick and so were the mugwort

12/03/2013 at 22:38

Rosa rugosa is up. I'm about to start the next round. There'll be several digitalis, nicotianas, Just had a poke through the bag and found Bupleurum longifolium, that's out there alread ygerminated so I'd better put them on the seed swap thread

12/03/2013 at 22:46

1 tray froze in my coldframe delphniums and carnations so donno if it will kill them off they were brought in and defrosted imediately and have been put back out now a couple of degrees warmer so i gonna sow sommore just incase. They were not blocks of ice but were deifnately a little frozen. Nothings froze in my mini greenhouse though

15/03/2013 at 11:20

Some of my seeds have floped due to the cold, might have to sow more again the white cosmos but others are doing OK

Lyn
15/03/2013 at 13:57

I am not going to sow my cosmos until end of the month, they grow so quickly and will be up in a few days, if you sow them to early you have to pot them on many times, you still cant plant them out until May, by then they will be very big. late sowing catch up and will be good strong plants.

15/03/2013 at 14:18

Thanks Lyn I will wait a bit to sow anymore

15/03/2013 at 15:25

19 tomatoes up now, Sungold, Gardener's Delight and Dona. 4 more French marigolds have joined the first 2. Bought new packet, but won't sow yet - cold spell.

15/03/2013 at 15:29

I have more chillies and tomatoes showing through and lupins, hollyhocks purple sprouting, summer savaoury, Christmas basil and sweet peas but no nemesias, echinacea alba or cream aconitums yet.

Do they usually take a long time?   Do they need bottom heat?