London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
15/03/2013 at 15:37

All going well here including Aquilegia 'Volcano'  nice pot full that includes a very obvious pansy. Just the  one, the rest are aquilegias.

15/03/2013 at 16:09

None of mine up yet

15/03/2013 at 16:14

I have only planted sweet peas so far. Will do others in the next couple of weeks.

16/03/2013 at 22:50

Haven't sowed anything else yet..............might see how I feel tomorrow, I've got plenty to do.

Have planted out the rusell hybrid lupins that I grew from seed last year. They were generally neglected and in the coldframes/outside from last Summer onwards. Had a good root system on them so fingers crossed I might have some new Lupins in flower this year.

16/03/2013 at 23:04

When do you move your nasturtums outside im growing mine indoors at the moment as they only half hardy will they survive in my mini greenhouse or should i keep them on the windowsill as they getting big?

Lyn
16/03/2013 at 23:04
I have some big lupin plants also that I grew last year, will they be ok planted out, they are forecasting another cold spell and some more snow, how hardy are they. The ones I planted last year in the garden are well up now, but I wonder about the new ones.
16/03/2013 at 23:24

Hi Lyn, I know the dilemma. All my other Lupins bar one are putting on loads of growth already. The ones I've put out are very small, 3 leaves, but had really good roots, I thought that maybe their growth was being stunted so they had to go in. I would say that if yours are large then they should be alright. To my knowledge they are fully hardy.

Nasturtums are very suspectable to frost damage, if you have a sheltered spot to move them outside to they might be alright. I've had some that I thought I'd lost to frost but did survive.

16/03/2013 at 23:32

Ill keep them in for now thanks for that!

17/03/2013 at 17:49

Pestemons are germinating, took longer than the tomatoes etc. Does anyone know if they'll be big enough to flower this year? First time I've had them germinate, although I've sown them before.

17/03/2013 at 18:06

let me know how you getting i can never get mine into the true leaf stage im on my third set. This time no lights just gonna leave them on the windowsill and I think they flower first year.

17/03/2013 at 18:38

I've Snap Dragon, Malope and dianthus doing well. Malope have started producing their second leaves, the others are still very tiny.

I've also leeks, aubergines and some chillies out of the propogator. Most of the aubergines germinated and there's a second variety sown just last weekend but these haven't come up yet. Chillies have been slow and a bit erratic at germinating. Only 3 Apache from 12 seeds and 2 Ceyenne seedlings, I've left the Ceyenne in the propogator hoping more will come up.    

18/03/2013 at 08:20
Couple of cornflower have decided to brave things and show themselves
Lyn
18/03/2013 at 08:55

Lizzie, I grew penstemon from seeds last spring and they did flower, right through early winter. They are a good value plant.

18/03/2013 at 09:55

I've got some (hundreds) of stock seedlings and alpine starwberries, just starting to sprout their first true leaves - can anyone tell me when they should be ok in the mini greenhouse outside (they are in my living room at the moment).

Also just sown some snapdragons- could/should they go in the mini greenhouse once germinated? I want to start off some tomatoes, but I've run out of space!!

18/03/2013 at 09:58

My delphiniums are up (along with some others) they were starting to go a bit yellow on the leaves, I think I must be overwatering them..

18/03/2013 at 10:03

Thanks Lyn. They are still alive this morning! I sowed broad beans in the veg garden when we had a warm spell a couple of weeks back. Then it was very cold and now it's wet. Hope they don't rot.

PaperFlowers I think the strawberries should be OK  outside. They are hardy. I planted baby strawberries outside earlier this year. They were snowed on and they are fine.

18/03/2013 at 10:06

Hi PaperFlowers.I wouldn't move anything from the living room to outside until the weather warms a bit. The overnight temperatures in an unheated greenhouse are much the same as outside. Alpine strawberries are hardy but they'll need hardening off. Hopefully by the time the snapdragons germinate we may have spring.

Here, Paeonia rockii germinated today. Sown September 2011. Also Actaea alba which may have been an error, I've since read that they like acid soil which we haven't got. Haven't fully checked that one yet.

18/03/2013 at 10:14

But I'm so impatient to start off the tomoatoes!!! I will wait a bit though.

Lyn
18/03/2013 at 11:38
You can start your tomato s off on the window sill now.
18/03/2013 at 12:02

Is it true you can harden off a plant just by keeping it extremely dry. I read it somewhere but have never tried it.