London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
28/03/2013 at 14:40

Just pricked out my marigolds and cornflowers and some have flopped a bit an hour later. Hoping they recover, anyone else had this problem

28/03/2013 at 15:28

Not pricked anything out yet cairnsie. Too bloody cold in the greenhouse. They're OK though, perennials don't grow as quickly as annuals

Lyn
28/03/2013 at 15:39
I am just off to the greenhouse to sow cosmos, pot marigolds, dwarf lupin, gypsophila, penstemon and eryngium.
28/03/2013 at 15:49

They actually recovered now and have perked back up. I have had to open my mini greenhouse was getting too hot lol, you cant win. My greenhouse is well and truely full now, started off a dahlia tuber yesterday too. Everything seems to be doing ok and its staying frost free overnight. One of my pologonium cuttings off last year is starting to flower on the windowsill too.

Do you keep your marigolds indoors for the time being or are they fairly hardy?

28/03/2013 at 17:53

Tagettes are up in the mini greenhouse, that was a surprise. So are my violas and hollyhocks. 

28/03/2013 at 18:37

Here are my babies in the greenhouse. I've pricked out the tomatoes and ageratums, the rest in this half are plug plants, mail order. Other half has 3 propogaters, French marigolds to prick out very soon, penstemons are stll rather small, growing very slowly, zinnias are germinating. Hvaen't sown cucumbers, courgettes, beans yet. Nasturtiums in cells coming up nicely.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/Busy-Lizzie/IMG_5092_zps3d1c449f.jpg

28/03/2013 at 18:39

Well that puts my small mini greenhouse collection to shame lol. You must have a very big garden

28/03/2013 at 18:41

It's about an acre. Living in France, gardens in the country are often quite big as there's more spare land. But have you seen the pics of Lily-louise's incredible greenhouse?

28/03/2013 at 18:45

No i dont think I have seen it. So is it much warmer in france at this time of the year?

29/03/2013 at 16:27

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20744.jpg?width=203&height=261&mode=max

Here is how bid the burdock seed has got to few more popping up now

I have sown seed swap seeds of Rudbeckia rustic dwarf and Lychnis chalcedonica

29/03/2013 at 16:54

This morning I shut myself in the (6ft x 8ft) GH and had a blissful few hours pricking out. French Marigold Scarlet Sophie, verbena rigida, everlasting pea white pearl. melianthius major, tagetes paprika, calendula Indian Prince, Zinnias Red Spider, Cactus Orange and Starlight Rose, Gazania Kiss Rose, Cosmos Sonata White, Heliotrope Dwarf Marine and geranium maderense.

Most pots only had a few seeds sown in as I was using up old packets of seed...only have one melianthus major, 3 geranium maderense and 2 ropey looking verbena rigida. But as I only have a small garden this isn't a problem...I always seem to sow too much anyway....

Plan to sow more seed over easter.....including my ONE ricinus impala seed...

29/03/2013 at 21:32

Whats the latest anyone has sown petunias. I am at maximum capacity for seed sowing at the moment but want some of those wave type petunias. I have 2 trays of normal ones at the moment going and was wondering would sowing say late april be fine or too late. And how hardy are marigolds thinking of putting them in mini greenhouse in the next few weeks or should i keep them on my windowsill.

29/03/2013 at 22:06

Cairnsie, the winters can be pretty cold here, but when spring starts it starts getting warmer than in England. It's been about 16° for the last week, although it's rained a couple of days. Frosts are usually over 2nd half of April, but it's not unknown to have a frost in May. We had a severe one -4° followed by rain for 2 weeks last year so no insects so no plums, cherries or apples.

I usually buy petunias as plug plants. Are they French marigolds? They will need warmth and light in the day to help them grow and they mustn't get frosted. My greenhouse has been down to 2 or 3° at night and they've been OK.

29/03/2013 at 22:12

They are french marigolds I have 2 trays of petunias i have started off. To be honest its probably just as cost effective to buy plugs but i enjoy growing stuff from seed it keeps me entertained. I could probs start them off mid april and hopefully they will be ok.

07/04/2013 at 21:19

Anyone growing delphiniums, is it normal for stems to be quite fragile. Got plenty growing now and the plants are getting bigger with the better weather. Lost a few lobelia to the cold but everything else seems fine so far however my lobelia cardinalis have stayed quite small for the time being. my dahlia tuber has sprouted also.

07/04/2013 at 21:24

Looked at my dahlia tubers today, straight to compost heap, newspaper and cardboard box as well.

07/04/2013 at 21:31

I have a few delphs which I grew from seed last year and they are doing fine. I have some in the greenhouse and have been very daring and put some out in the garden already. It was -1 here last night but felt like -3. They seem quite happy. The stems are fragile and i have staked mine already as they are between 3/4 and a foot. There are a couple of leaves that have turned in on themselves in the garden but the rest are looking ok so Im hoping that they will be safe 

I lost my daliahs also

07/04/2013 at 21:34

Too cold and damp for too long for the dahlias.

Lyn
07/04/2013 at 21:45
Have just brought my dahlias into the conservatory, not warm enough in the greenhouse. I can hardly move in there now, usually the fucshias are out in a plastic greenhouse, but apart from it blowing away last year, its just to cold, so with them, the geraniums and the begonia corms now planted in 7-8inch pots, its getting a bit silly.
11/04/2013 at 19:46

My dahlia spouted really quickly so very pleased with that. I am in the same boat of having every windowsill full as its too cold to put stuff into my mini greenhouse. Went to local nursery and he was very downbeat due to the cold affecting his buisness he was even selling stuff cheap as the cold was killing plants off. I overheard the B and Q manager speaking to staff saying it was a nightmare as they were having to sell stuff off.