London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 19°C
21 to 40 of 394 messages
05/01/2013 at 15:58

It's time to play with the hardy stuff while the weather is reasonable. 

05/01/2013 at 16:42

Cool. Just been down to the greenhouse and planted up all my wee plant parcels. I am drastically running out of space lol, but saying that there are a few things in there that I put in because I had not been quick enough to get them in the garden. 

06/01/2013 at 06:26

i started my toms last year in january and they were fine heated green house though .Had tomatoes in june.

06/01/2013 at 07:16

Im starting my Tomatoes next week, Last year I waited, took ages to get off to a fair start because of the drought. Then I could barely keep on top of them because of all the other planting and garening, after that I think I managed to get about 5 tomatoes in total that were edible. Stuff that, I'm going to try and get them started early this year, grow indoors until March then get started on other stuff. I know we are supposed to wait for most things but isnt gardening about the fun of trying and the trial and error and sometimes throwing the rule book out of the window, thats how we sometimes learn the books and experts aren't always right...

06/01/2013 at 08:32

Agree discodave, I belong to the 'do it when you feel like it' school of gardening. There have been times when it's led me astray but mostly plants just germinate, grow, seed and the whole cycle carries on regardless of what I'm 'supposed to do'. 

One thing's for sure, seeds still in a packet won't do much.

06/01/2013 at 10:36

Sorry discodave-bit confused as to what the drought has to do with your tomato efforts

So much of gardening is "whatever works for you"-but if someone asks when do they so tomatoes -now is not the time unless you can provide the correct conditions for growing on-getting ahead start is fine but what happens next?

I will say again germination is the relatively easy part

It has got nothing to do with books or experts but if anyone gets the impression that buy sowing now they will get early crops is in for a big disappointment-experience tells me that.

Far better to wait for another 6/8 weeks at least.

But of course that is just my opinion

06/01/2013 at 10:40
sotongeoff wrote (see)

Sorry discodave-bit confused as to what the drought has to do with your tomato efforts

So much of gardening is "whatever works for you"-but if someone asks when do they so tomatoes -now is not the time unless you can provide the correct conditions for growing on-getting ahead start is fine but what happens next?

I will say again germination is the relatively easy part

It has got nothing to do with books or experts but if anyone gets the impression that buy sowing now they will get early crops is in for a big disappointment-experience tells me that.

Far better to wait for another 6/8 weeks at least.

But of course that is just my opinion

Spot on, I would say, Geoff!

06/01/2013 at 11:19
Discodave, thats what I was thinking. Trial and error. Well...they are up in the house on a warm windowsill and will stay there till march. Will report back.
06/01/2013 at 12:15

well Geoff, we had a hosepipe ban until May-June, my garden is half an acre, so as you can imagine, trying to water everything I needed to with saved shower water was a bit of a nightmare.. Please dont be so quick to judge

Also, what I did last year didnt work, so this year I'm going to try a different tactic (like the year before last and had so many toms that I couldnt get through them all) I will also plant in March to see which works best and at worst, I will loose 1pence worth of seeds. 

06/01/2013 at 12:23

Not being quick to judge-just couldn't work it

So these are for greenhouse or garden growing?

06/01/2013 at 12:42

They are for garden growing, so I know that I wont be able to put them out for a while (although we are currently having March/April weather) I have tried doing it by the book several times with toms but have only been really happy with the result when I broke the rules. Its not alot of time effort or money if it doesnt work out so I will give it a try. what else is there to do in the garden for the next month or so.

06/01/2013 at 12:47

Sit indoors and look out the window I guess-as I said whatever works for you.

06/01/2013 at 21:14

I've been sowing indoors and out,sowed Aubreittas,Calendulas,white Snapdragons, mixed forgot me nots and different types of Wallflowers.

Having a bit of experiment, One of the first plants I grew from seed 2 years ago was some Tom Thumb wall flowers.. Looked at the seed pod yesterday and some of the seeds had germinated in the pods so I collected the remaining seed and have sowed them

06/01/2013 at 21:34
The way I sed it is...how did the authors know other than experiment. A gardening book is like a recipe. You add your own twist and try something different.
07/01/2013 at 01:03
Tomatoes started now are fine, as long as you are prepared to keep them away from frosts indoors for quite a while. Ones planted later will catch up though, neither is better than the other.

It depends on what makes you happy, starting tommies off now is normally the start of my gardening year. And yes, it makes me happy, so that's what I do.
07/01/2013 at 09:39

Perhaps it should be remembered that apart from warmth, tomato seedlings need around 14 hours of light each day. This can be provided artificially in the form of 'Grow Lights' .....making it ridiculously uneconomic.

07/01/2013 at 10:10
I satarted the thread to let the folks that have been seed swapping with me on another thread that some seeds that I had planted were up. We have all been having some joy at the fact the new year has turned and that spring was almost here. I didnt mean to create anything like bad feelings between others. I am grateful for peoples opinions and am the kind of gardener that trial and error is how I learn. I like thinking out the box and trying things a little different. Thanks all for your views. I can see what everyone is saying and have given me alot to think about. I have noted everything down and will continue my wee experiment to see what outcome arrives. It may work it may not. Next year I will use this years work as research to see what I can do
07/01/2013 at 12:54

Hi sam. When responses are posted, the tone that is perceived may not be as the writer intended. Much meaning comes from facial expression and verbal tone, lacking in the written word. I always take this into account when a response seems on the sharp/dismissive side. 

07/01/2013 at 13:51
nutcutlet wrote (see)

Hi sam. When responses are posted, the tone that is perceived may not be as the writer intended. Much meaning comes from facial expression and verbal tone, lacking in the written word. I always take this into account when a response seems on the sharp/dismissive side. 

Absolutely true and eloquently put!

07/01/2013 at 13:53

This is true and I must confess, after I had put it and read it back I thought that it sounded a bit mean. I tried to work out how to adjust it or even delete it and couldnt so my apologies. Im still learning on the forum. Ooops.  Feel a bit sheepish now

21 to 40 of 394 messages