London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
41 to 60 of 394 messages
07/01/2013 at 14:23

Sam

It is all about learning-most of the "gardeners" know what works and what doesn't-and they know that because they have made all the mistakes-and are offering their advice based on their mistakes and experience- whether you want to listen to that is of course up to you-and others

07/01/2013 at 14:40

I understand that Soton geoff. Thankyou. In honesty, I am now looking at my tomatoes thinking.. ..'you are too leggy' Im just impatient I guess 

07/01/2013 at 14:44

That's all right Sam if you have more seeds you can sow more later on.

My seeds still not showing themselves yet from seed swapping.

Are your seed swapping seeds doing ok?

07/01/2013 at 14:57

Well, the ones that are to be in now are doing fine I think. Nothing has come as yet but being very careful with them as not many 

I have loads and only planted a couple of the Toms so not too worried. Its raining here again and looks like its on for all day so doing the design work for the garden on paper.

07/01/2013 at 14:59

Is it true that if you get a tomato, take out the seeds and soak the in water until they mould, then clean them off and plant them its free seed..?

07/01/2013 at 15:05

My mum always said that you take the seeds out the tomato, wash them so all the flesh is off then dry them and then they can be planted?

07/01/2013 at 15:06

Nothing wrong with a bit of impatience. Better than lethargy

07/01/2013 at 15:12

Absolutely Discodave! Take a look at this page on this seed site. Shows you how to save lots of different seeds from stuff. Hope it helps.

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html

07/01/2013 at 15:16

No seeds up here, but I only planted the ones that needed a chill and they haven't had one yet. I'd love a winter with no chill, wonder what effect it would have on growing things and wildlife.

07/01/2013 at 18:39

Hmmm, I wonder. Its scary to think that if there were no bees anymore, the world would die. You dont think how much we rely on stuff. 

Do you have many in Nutcutlet?

07/01/2013 at 20:06

Hello, I  just wanted to add my two penith in. I have learnt and still learning loads from more experienced gardeners on this forum and that's one of reasons that I really enjoy being on here.

However I don't think there is anything wrong with trying something a bit different or which goes against more traditional opinions. If it works great, if it doesn't, then lesson learnt for next year and for me that is what true knowledge is. I take on board what people advise, think about my own experience and go for it

I had some great results from "breaking" the rules.

No seeds up for me yet but it's early days

07/01/2013 at 20:13

All my aquilegias were sown and some aconitums and angelica gigas. Early on (when they got ripe) I sowed lots of tree paeonies. They're pretty reliable for a germinate in the spring. Some shrubs there as well. Mine from the garden and other peoples gardens and a few bought ones. There are 30 or so pots of something or other sown. Soon the HPS seeds will turn up and after that it will be time to sow the spring ones. All will be well as long as the overwintering 'almost hardies' are out of the greenhouse before the pricking out starts. 

07/01/2013 at 20:30

I just found a budle of seed packs that I ordered that I thought I had thrown away - result... and 3 of them should be sown in Feb - looks like I got a little more to look forward to Whoop Whoop...

08/01/2013 at 23:21

finding seeds are ALWAYS a happy bonus Discodave. Even better when you still have time to sow them

09/01/2013 at 20:54

My first seeds have germinated and looking good. My first seedlings come from Tom Thumb wallflowers that I grew 2 years ago and are still going strong.

Happy days

09/01/2013 at 21:03

Brilliant!!! Well done. I keep checking the rest of mine but they are too cozy where they are I think for the moment 

10/01/2013 at 22:54

Another Tom Thumb is showing

11/01/2013 at 19:29

My seeds have popped up just a few of them from the seed swap indoors on the window sill, may be I will grow a few more things or may be I should wait a bit - might still be early to sow them.

Something good when they pop up. Yeah

11/01/2013 at 19:37

I'm keeping an eye on my seed pots. But as what I sowed needs a chilling its a bit soon really. 2 slight frosts aren't going to do it. But more to follow I'm sure.

11/01/2013 at 21:35

Hi Gardengirl, seed growing is great, I've only been doing it for 2 years,and now I'm an addict. Which seeds have germinated?

Nothing in my cold frame yet but a total of 6 wallflowers up inside.

41 to 60 of 394 messages